• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I don't understand this Metaverse thing

James

Out There
Instructor
Zuck is getting killed on this metaverse thing. The stock is down more than 200 points since he bet the farm on it. Down more than 20% today after terrible earnings.

View attachment 181484
Ooh… Maybe Musk will buy it and bundle it with Twitter! Create the Twerkaverse.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's ignore all of this...until we develop the SkiTalkVerse. We'd be able to go to Gatherings and connect with each other from the other side of the resort, with Heads Up Displays on our goggles and tease people about the chute that they just fell in, while comments from the virtual at home community tell us that maybe our boot set up isn't right, or do MA on us while we're flailing on the slopes, or tell us what skis we should be on for those conditions.

Along with an occasional pop-up add for lingerie.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW the metaverse stuff I've been seeing has nothing to do with Facebook or Instagram.
I saw this virtual Orlando posted on LinkedIn

similarly, I recently read more about metaverse stuff with Google and their acceptance of crypto currency.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let's ignore all of this...until we develop the SkiTalkVerse. We'd be able to go to Gatherings and connect with each other from the other side of the resort, with Heads Up Displays on our goggles and tease people about the chute that they just fell in, while comments from the virtual at home community tell us that maybe our boot set up isn't right, or do MA on us while we're flailing on the slopes, or tell us what skis we should be on for those conditions.

Along with an occasional pop-up add for lingerie.
Post of the year right here! It checks so many boxes. The finishing moving was the pop-up lingerie....I mean have looked at the models once or twice...Phil/Tricia probably are watching, counting and judging! :roflmao:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As for the meta verse....in its simplest form I just think of it as doing stuff in a VR world? I messed around on some games with the Occulus last week that a friend has and the games are super fun. Isn't it just taking the concept and being in a virtual meeting and everyone else's avatar is sitting around the room and we are talking or collaborating on something?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As for the meta verse....in its simplest form I just think of it as doing stuff in a VR world? I messed around on some games with the Occulus last week that a friend has and the games are super fun. Isn't it just taking the concept and being in a virtual meeting and everyone else's avatar is sitting around the room and we are talking or collaborating on something?
Can I deep fake myself (someone else as me) in those meetings but really be out skiing on a powder day?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Isn't it just taking the concept and being in a virtual meeting and everyone else's avatar is sitting around the room and we are talking or collaborating on something?

that's just the free-to-play version :D

Just wait until the boss demands you all have leveled Underpants of Holding and quit taking bathroom breaks.

SkiSVLikeAgassi

100% proud ski and tennis bum
Skier
Can you have sex in the Metaverse?

If not, the Metaverse ain't happening.
Trust me on this one...

BTW, I'm still stuck on trying to figure cryptocurrencies out. Will tackle the Metaverse next.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm confused as well. Can someone explain to me what the difference is between virtual reality and the metaverse?
I'm no expert, but here's how I think about it.

Virtual reality is a technology that can be used for many things, flight simulators to train pilots for example example.

A metaverse is a virtual world where people do stuff with other people and it probably has virtual money to buy virtual stuff.

The graphics don't really need to be that good for a metaverse. See Roblox in Minecraft.

Believe it or not much of our kids allowance goes towards Robux. I think that's why there's crazy money going into the space.

Am I off based on any of that? I'm sure I miss something important.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A metaverse is a virtual world where people do stuff with other people and it probably has virtual money to buy virtual stuff.

VR churches are already up and going. The Vatican haven't signed with Facehellblob yet, tho. (They do have an art collection online)

Can you have sex in the Metaverse?

If not, the Metaverse ain't happening.
Trust me on this one...

Yeh, that's been monetized for more than a decade now. (There is a link to Kotaku in that Sun article. I am not going to direct link that.)

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
FB's Metaverse is really a hardware push, they want to control hardware. FB misses the smart phone boat, which is now controlled by Google and Apple. Once you control the hardware and its ecosystem, you can control Metaverse world. Apple banned FB's privacy tracking, that created massive headache on FB. Mark doesn't want to be in that position, ever again.

Think of Metaverse as fully immersive social media, gaming, etc.. It's place where people can do stuff with minimum interference from others. Wanna watch a NBA game? Put on the head set and you'll be court side.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Imagine how much worse this all can get in the metaverse. 3-D con jobs, new skillz.

And this will no longer be funny.

photoshops.png

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Zuck burned through so much cash on the metaverse thing he made Cramer cry! :(

I’ll say this about Kramer…if you can find a more trustworthy source for personal investing, please post here. This market is making a lot of people cry. Tech is replete with ill-advised practices by management teams without multi-cycle experience. It’s partly why tech has high betas.

The difference here is Kramer takes accountability and has empathy for the people he’s advising. Zuckerberg was amazing in his ability to make the right moves for a long time. It’s a lesson…even someone like MZ can produce a strategic miss and then get fractured trying to recover from it.

When a relatively stable growth stock becomes a risk venture, everyone should be paying attention but for quite a while the analyst community went to sleep.

With all the self interested info there is to wade through out there from managers looking for a bear market rally return bump to soften their otherwise negative returns, Kramer is valuable resource.

Sponsor

Staff online