• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hub Caps, Yay or Nay?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Aside from nice aluminum wheels, what's the collective opinion on the factory hub caps? I liked the stock look at first, but got tired of the endless cleaning require to keep them looking good. Finally gave up and rattle canned the steelies yesterday. I get that a new car looks best stock the way it was built..

Before.

Forester Side.jpg

After

Forester Back.jpg

Forester Front.jpg

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My winter tires are on steel wheels, no hubcaps. My summer tires are on Al/Mg wheels with hubcaps. I'm inside driving the car, I can't see either, so the looks are the same to me.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hubcaps definitely look better, but you are forever losing one (or two) on the road.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hubcaps definitely look better, but you are forever losing one (or two) on the road.
I haven't lost one... yet.. Now my daughter on the other hand... her car throws a shoe every other month.. Those curbs jump out in front of her out of nowhere!

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Black steels would eliminate the ceramic brake pad dust problem I've begrudgingly been living with ........

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It definitely looks more like a camping and ski car now.. They'll be easier to clean.

I also went with the chunky tires on my Genuine Roughhouse when refreshing everything on that.. 8K miles with nothing but a battery. Bombproof scooter for sure.. So new tires, drive belt/rollers/weights, brakes, fluids, etc..

roughhouse.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am partial to silver steelies.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Steel wheels look ok for a few years, but then they get all rusty, and need to be cleaned and painted. Hub caps don't seem to do much to protect the hubs these days either.
They need to be sandblasted and powder coated. My current set has 13 seasons on them.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm gonna try these to gold it up to match my teeth..

1699309034837.png

Sponsor

Staff online