• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada How to get to Mammoth

Jimski

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Prepare for excruciating detail before you get to my question...

My son and I are planning a ski trip in mid-February. He is working/living in Santa Ana CA, so we were thinking to ski at Mammoth. We skied at Mammoth five years ago, and got there by flying United to SFO and then on to MMH. Now apparently, the only air service to MMH is with Advance Air on a prop plane. United flies from SFO and DEN to BIH, which is an hour drive to Mammoth.

Alternatively, we could drive from Santa Ana to Mammoth -- which google map says is a 5+ hour drive. My understanding is that depending on snowfall and road conditions at that time of year, there could be a state law in effect requiring tire chains. Rental care agencies do not provide tire chains, and discourage their use on rental cars. Most rental car agencies will not even guarantee AWD on your rental car.

So, all you Mammoth regulars, what do you advise?
  • reserve a car in Santa Ana with three different rental agencies (e.g., Hertz, Avis, Enterprise), and take whichever one can offer an AWD SUV? (my son's car is a used 2WD Hyundai Elantra)
  • fly to BIH, then do same as above with rental agencies there?
  • buy car tire chains in Santa Ana?
  • don't worry about the car chain requirement?
Any/all thoughts welcome. Thanks!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since he is living here in Orange County now, best bet is just getting some chains for if/when he needs them. We live in the OC too and have only ever driven to MM. Don't overthink it.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

My son and I are planning a ski trip in mid-February. He is working/living in Santa Ana CA, so we were thinking to ski at Mammoth. We skied at Mammoth five years ago, and got there by flying United to SFO and then on to MMH. Now apparently, the only air service to MMH is with Advance Air on a prop plane. United flies from SFO and DEN to BIH, which is an hour drive to Mammoth.

Alternatively, we could drive from Santa Ana to Mammoth -- which google map says is a 5+ hour drive. My understanding is that depending on snowfall and road conditions at that time of year, there could be a state law in effect requiring tire chains. Rental care agencies do not provide tire chains, and discourage their use on rental cars. Most rental car agencies will not even guarantee AWD on your rental car.

• reserve a car in Santa Ana with three different rental agencies (e.g., Hertz, Avis, Enterprise), and take whichever one can offer an AWD SUV? (my son's car is a used 2WD Hyundai Elantra)
Drive.

You can try to rent a car at John Wayne Airport, and reserve an AWD SUV.

You can buy chains in Costa Mesa, at Rack N Road Car Racks and Hitch Superstores, 1995 Harbor Blvd Suite A, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 or from Amazon (I got my chains off of Amazon for my AWD SUV)

Option 3: Join a Ski club....which covers transportation and lodging, and let other people coordinate the trip for you

Long Beach Ski club drives up and we car pool, which keeps costs down.

Balboa Ski Club, out of Newport Beach, takes a bus up.

And deicing washer fluid... no one in the area sells it. You have to go to Bishop and get some. Or in my case, last time I went to Tahoe, stocked up at the Carson City, NV walmart

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Why not take the Elantra and get tire chains for it? I've used chains on all manner of cars and they work great. But most of the time you don't need them. Once you get to Mammoth you can take the bus system.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What's happening here is east coast driver encountering west coast driving norms. East coast drivers think anything over a couple hundred miles is unmanageable. There are good reasons for that. You can easily spend three hours just getting out of the five boroughs, for example - a couple dozen miles. Too many people, too little space.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some thoughts/ questions:
Is there a specific date Mid February? Super Bowl Weeknd /Valentines Day/ Presidents day? (there are some issues with the holidays - but Super Bowl is better than Presidents day). Lodging will be at a premium during the holidays.....
On your last trip did you have a vehicle or use the shuttle /trolley around town?
Is your lodging near a shuttle stop or are you staying close to a base lodge - MM Inn, Village, Juniper or Canyon condos?

If flying in to Bishop you would take a shuttle or taxi to Mammoth, you would probably enjoy some food at Thai Thai on the way in or out. Bishop is a better guarantee that your flight will actually land vs. Mammoth.

FWIW The Eastern Sierra Transit runs from Lancaster to Mammoth, I have never taken it, but it is always a back up option. It does not run on all week days or some holidays - https://www.estransit.com/routes-schedule/395-routes/mammoth-lakes-to-lancaster/

Driving - all of Southern California makes that drive every Friday and Sunday.
If you think washer fluid will be an issue you can use concentrated washer fluid, an additive, or alcohol. The dealership washer fluid has never frozen in my vehicles, but if you are using basic so cal fluid you will have a problem- good point @snwbrdr

The chain restrictions are different for AWD/4WD vs 2WD you will need (and probably want) the chains at R1 unless you have a good set of "snow tires" on the Elantra. Where ever you purchase the chains check the return policy -- sometime there is a restocking fee for unused chains. But maybe your son would need them again to ski locally? There was another thread where we discussed tire socks which apparently are legal as well. There are three levels of Chain Requirements in California beginning with R1 for 2WD vehicles without snow tires:
  • Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
It really depends on if you prefer to fly or drive. Lots of good family time to hang out if you drive.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Buy the chains ,if you get to Mammoth and it’s snowing you can use the shuttles and not drive.
Don‘t stress the chains , there’s a bunch of guys you can pay to put them on for you ( if you don’t usually do it yourself its REALLY money well spent ).
If you don’t use them you get your money back.
Enjoy the drive with your son,,,,,,Dad !!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's happening here is east coast driver encountering west coast driving norms. East coast drivers think anything over a couple hundred miles is unmanageable. There are good reasons for that. You can easily spend three hours just getting out of the five boroughs, for example - a couple dozen miles. Too many people, too little space.
That's if you're unfortunate enough to live in NYC.

Back when I lived in NJ, going to central VT was never an issue, since I never had to worry about NYC traffic... mainly 287 to the Truway and then to the Northway.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

And there you have it.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Back when I lived in NJ, going to central VT was never an issue, since I never had to worry about NYC traffic... mainly 287 to the Truway and then to the Northway.
I don't know how far "back" you last lived in NJ. The traffic had gotten steadily worse. 287 and the Thruway are often a mad house.

I don't live there. But by chance I had to go there twice last month. This comes from someone who drives to NYC occasionally. At least when I drove into NYC, I expect slowdowns and budget the time accordingly. I made the mistake of not doing the same for New Jersey! :(

That's not how I remembered it when I last worked in central Jersey (ok, close to 10 years ago)

As for Mammoth, I too would recommend driving. The drive is actually quite scenic part of the way, for someone from the east.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know how far "back" you last lived in NJ. The traffic had gotten steadily worse. 287 and the Thruway are often a mad house.

I don't live there. But by chance I had to go there twice last month. This comes from someone who drives to NYC occasionally. At least when I drove into NYC, I expect slowdowns and budget the time accordingly. I made the mistake of not doing the same for New Jersey! :(

That's not how I remembered it when I last worked in central Jersey (ok, close to 10 years ago)

As for Mammoth, I too would recommend driving. The drive is actually quite scenic part of the way, for someone from the east.
3 years ago, I moved out. When I leave for VT, it's never on a Friday, usually a thursday. Usually, the Thruway is bad until the Harriman exit, then tends to open up, especially back when there was a toll attendant.

But, the 405 from Orange County is just as bad, especially the merge with I-5, which is slow until you get to Highway 14.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
3 years ago, I moved out. When I leave for VT, it's never on a Friday, usually a thursday. Usually, the Thruway is bad until the Harriman exit, then tends to open up, especially back when there was a toll attendant.

But, the 405 from Orange County is just as bad, especially the merge with I-5, which is slow until you get to Highway 14.
We go 15 to 395.

James

Out There
Instructor

How to get to Mammoth?

Practice.
Especially if you’re from Jersey.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
We go 15 to 395.
From Santa Ana... you would have to take Highways 57 and 60 to get to 15... both of those highways can get backed up with traffic, especially the annoying construction traffic on highway 57

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

How to get to Mammoth?

Practice.
Especially if you’re from Jersey.
At least people in NJ know how to drive in the rain.

When it rains in SoCal, it's equivalent to Jersey drivers driving in the snow.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From Santa Ana... you would have to take Highways 57 and 60 to get to 15... both of those highways can get backed up with traffic, especially the annoying construction traffic on highway 57
Or 55 to 91 to 15. Just depends on when they leave/where in Santa Ana.

All that to say, here's a +1 for driving.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also favor driving. It really is an easy road. The only dicey part is after Bishop and only if it’s storming. Depending on your finances, you can stay at one of the mountain resorts and ski in/out and use the resort shuttles for everything else. We like Juniper Springs- eagle lift, newer units with kitchens, hotel shuttle will take you anywhere you want to go.

pud

Putting on skis
Skier

Rent an AWD car, Leave Santa Ana either early in the morning before 6am or between 10am and 2pm, i prefer the 91 to the 15 to the 395 to Mammoth. You will not likely need chains, but if it is snowing hard on your way up you can buy chains in Bishop. Like Socalgal said, Don't over think it.

James

Out There
Instructor
This is like Thanksgiving. Someone asks for directions when leaving, and everybody chimes in and argues with hyper local info even HAL couldn’t remember. taking up too much time and creating total confusion. The person regrets asking and tries to get out quietly while the group continues to argue.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online