• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific How The Secret Formula for Managing Ski Resort Crowds Could Soon Be Revealed-CCC

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Someone up thread asked the question, "Who's comfort?"
When skiing through crowds @Philpug is more comfortable than I am, and I'm pretty sure I'm more comfortable than some others.

In another thread I mentioned that, after skiing with Phil and keeping up with him all the time. I hadn't realized how comfortable I had gotten with speed until I went skiing with some other friends and I found myself slowing it down and keeping a moderate pace to hang with said friends.
Phil trained up at Camelback. :micdrop:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
from Al's blog:

Just across the pass at Loveland, they walk through calculation of the CCC slightly differently, with a focus on lift and (indoor) seating capacity, and compare that to the parking capacity. Loveland is also parking-limited, as the parking capacity does not reach the lift/seating CCC.

The above are good examples of how CCC works. Some of the replies on this thread seem to be overthinking CCC. CCC is just an estimate and can vary widely based on certain assumptions.

In the old days, lift capacity in persons per hour was used but this number is misleading because people ski more than one run an hour and because longer and slower lifts have a much higher capacity. CCC also factors in other bottlenecks like parking, food and bathrooms. CCC even factors in skier types (e.g. beginers generally ski slower and for less hours per day compared to expert skiers) I'm sure the SE group and other industry leaders have default CCC formulas but I suspect there is a lot of variation in CCC calculations.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good stuff. So they have rfd gates at the bases at least and could easily track with cameras bluetooth etc but we’re basing this on 2001 logic that they don’t know how many people are actually visiting spending and skiing. Neither buying that nor buying into some of this logic since data and profit margin are the missing variables here.

antennaguru

Booting Out
Skier
Those lift line pictures are amazing!

I voluntarily buy a season ski pass at my local mountain that excludes Saturdays, Holidays, and Holiday Weeks - for a nicely discounted price. It is virtually empty on regular Tuesdays/Wednesdays/Thursdays. Just ski to the lift and put on the brakes a little before getting on - except this season where they are now visually inspecting RFID passes as well RFID scanning them, every single time. Fridays/Sundays/Mondays only have light skier traffic and the lines are only a few people long. I don't miss those busy days that I gave up with my discounted pass, as I used to typically leave by 10AM when it got crowded.

They did convert their valet parking lot to a "Premium Lot" with a pass actuated automatic gate - but the seasonal price to park there is higher than my ski pass costs, so that seemed silly to me. I think this was more of an adaptation to new Covid standards and a lack of valet attendants. We live so close that starting in Covid when they wanted us to boot up in the parking lots, my wife started dropping me off right at the unloading area already wearing my plug boots with cat tracks...

Sponsor

Staff online