• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often to file edges?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just wondering how often people actually file their edges vs just using your stones to clean them up?

I like using my file as it gets the edges so sharp but I don't want to wear out my skis by doing it too often each year.

Thoughts?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I only use file when going from a 2 to a 3 so I don’t kill edges. If going from a 3 to a 2, I just use a coarse diamond stone followed by a fine stone because you are working bottom to top . I don’t really care if it’s 2 degrees top to bottom of edge I just want it at 2 where edge meets snow. As opposed to going from 2 to 3 you work edge top to bottom. I have married 2 degrees on two pair and 3 on one and touch them up every waxing with a fine diamond stone.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I file when I'm just not satisfied with the sharpness of the edge I get with my stones. Seems to be about ever 30 sharpenings (=30 days skiing; I live in the land of icy hills) or so.
When the edges get noticeably thin, I file much less often. The thinner, the less often.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I file t0o make 3 degree then use my electric sharpener to keep it sharp.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Obvious answer is when needed to bring the edge back. This will vary by individual of course and how sensitive they are and used to a really sharp ski.

I used to file mine every 3-5 days (I like a sharp ski, spoiled as my race skis are tuned every time they hit snow and so my free skis aren’t far behind that). Now that I use a grinder it’s every 2nd day on snow with a quick diamond in between. Granted I’m one to wear my skis out before I ever run out of edge so with my grinder I can literally tune them everyday I ski and still have piles of edge left when the ski has lost its pop/snap.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll usually take a diamond stone to mine every other ski day to touch up. I'll bring out the file if I got some rock damage to clean up. I use my files way less than I used too since I finally found a diamond stone I like.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
3 to 4 in the NE. 7 to 10 in the west.
Like @hbear , my skis flex out before they run out of edge material.

I stone often and only file after about 20 days.
I stone with a fine stone every two days and go through the full grit range every 5 or so.
The Grumper skis Taos which is a mighty bumpy place.
A strong skier can "flex out" a pair of race skis in one run through the bumps.
The same guy can get a full season out of skis that stay in a course.
Overflexing skis is death and I have seen new skis ruined in the shop by a big guy "checking the flex"
Keep skis within their intended usage spectrum and they last quite a while.
Baby them a bit and they can last til they are totally obsolete.

Reactions: NE1

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Grumper skis Taos which is a mighty bumpy place.

You're right about Taos. All bumps, all the time. :D
My skis usually last between 80 to 100 days.
Many have skied in the old and slow group with me at the various gatherings. Their first question is always "Why is Grump always in the bumps. Doesn't he know he is too old for that s**t?"
What can I tell ya? It's my natural environment. :beercheer:

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Been to Taos about thirty days over the years.
Love the sign about Al's Run at the ticket window.
No US resort has a more intimidating drive up presence.
Any resort that lets skiers kill themselves is OK with me.
But the last time I was there the NMSP SWAT team with dogs and M16's raided the parking lot looking for pot smokers.
Pretty well ruined my buzz for the place.
Getting shaken down by armed thug cops while waiting for the tram isn't my idea of fun.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The NMSP can be a little heavy handed in drug and alcohol enforcement. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

That said, the Walmart and Smith (previous management) in town got them beat by a mile. Walmart wouldn't sell me a bottle of wine because Mamie didn't have her ID n her to prove she is of drinking age. Their policy of "everyone in the group must be of drinking age" thing. ind you, both Mamie and I are over 60 at the time.
Spoke with the NMSP in the parking and was told, "not a state law found, just weird local Walmart policy."

Don't even want to go into the Smith story.
Yeah, NM can be a strange place. It's like travelling to a foreign country without leaving the US.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Probably shouldn't admit it around this crowd but at my age Beaver Creek comes closer to meeting my needs than Taos.
Birds of Prey when it is bumped is nothing to shake a stick at and the groomers are zoomers.
Ski Santa Fe is just a great fun little family resort and my wife can shop the town while I go.
Taos will always be in my mind though.
When you come around the corner and see Al's you know you had better get your A game on.

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I'll usually take a diamond stone to mine every other ski day to touch up. I'll bring out the file if I got some rock damage to clean up. I use my files way less than I used too since I finally found a diamond stone I like.
Me too. Although I usually use a progression of diamond stones (100, 200, 400) to keep things sharp. Perhaps overkill, but I've found it sufficient to maintain an edge so long as there is no damage.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not to hijack but what are you all setting your edge angles at on your all mountain skis?

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
Not to hijack but what are you all setting your edge angles at on your all mountain skis?

A 1 degree base edge and 2 degree side edge is probably the most common but if you prefer a little more grippy edge a lot of people like running 1/3. Depending on the skier, I generally tune rec skis with a 1/3 and that tune seems to be liked better than a 1/2.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought my edges were not too bad and was planning to do a little stone work on them.
Then I got my new skis, felt their edges, and said "Oh wait... now I remember what sharp feels like."

So I did the full tune on my old skis (coarse stone on edge hits, medium file, fine file, coarse stone, medium stone, fine stone). Even had to take the sidewall down a little more in one spot. Finally got them sharp (though still not quite as good as the machine tune on the new ones).
Of course, I skied on the new skis and the old ones sat in the car all day.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the replys everyone. I just started racing, have a son that races HS Slalom and anther son who is just starting D team racing.

I generally just use my stones but wanted to make sure I didn't need to file them more often than I am. I have a good feel for their sharpness but sometimes feel like my stone isn't doing enough.

Sponsor

Staff online