• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
5 to 6 hours, 25k to 35k per day. Usually go non-stop first 3 or 4 hours, usually need to stop & shake the legs for a few seconds toward the end, lunch is on the lift. The runs at my home area average 2400’ vertical each.

Like @KingGrump says, there are different kinds of vertical, my day usually consists of all types.
View attachment 72541

Great photo

tovodeverett

Booting up
Skier
I was excited to hit 500,000 this past year (along with my 9-y.o. and 12-y.o., who both also topped 500K), but I'm nowhere near local Gary Mashburn. See https://www.adn.com/sports/2017/04/15/nonstop-skier-gary-mashburn-is-alyeskas-6-million-feet-man/ for a good write up on him two years ago. One of his grand-kids (I assume - same last name) was in my 9-y.o.'s group this year in Mighty Mites. Don't be deceived by the video in that article - blue bird days like that are rarer than hen's teeth at Alyeska - you learn to love skiing in flat-light and white-out!

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski about 10 runs, 1050' each (10,000'), using a high speed six pack at Jiminy Peak. Maybe two hours. A big day could be 12 -14 runs... but rarely. I ski about 2 days a week. No back to back days. If I go north I typically skip a day at Jiminy. For some reason the days to Killington or Magic will tend to be longer with more vertical.

I have a serious problem with sore muscles and fatigue. I tend to pound my turns, so maybe if I took it a little easier I'd be able to get more. At Jiminy the guys and ladies that I ski with are my age (65) plus. They are all very good skiers but they tend to take a milder approach. None of them is into the bumps or anything with unusual terrain. The guys at the Vermont mountains are 15 to 20 yrs younger and they like to rip it up.

I take a warm up run now.

Last edited:

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
5 to 6 hours, 25k to 35k per day. Usually go non-stop first 3 or 4 hours, usually need to stop & shake the legs for a few seconds toward the end, lunch is on the lift. The runs at my home area average 2400’ vertical each.

Like @KingGrump says, there are different kinds of vertical, my day usually consists of all types.
View attachment 72541
Hook chute?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Because of life and schedules and such, we tend to ski from first chair-ish to noon or so, depending on what's going on and how good conditions are, then we go home or go for lunch on the way home, and then get a bunch of work done so that you have a better experience on Pugski. :D
Yesterday was day 85 for me this season and I only got to ski about an hour because I was catching some June turns before heading to the shop for the rest of the day.
I guess a day is a day no matter how you snag some turns in your busy life.
Still :D

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Howabout, not enough?
My "average" day is a work day where I herd anywhere from 3 to 13 cats with the attention spans of... cats. Hours is around 7, vert is....embarrassingly low. 20k would be a miracle.
Freeski days, I don't count either, but I would guess my minumium is usally around 29 or 30 thousand.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hook chute?
That one is BWO

This is Hook Chute at Pow Mow...
JimForster2015-6.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Dwight