• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you know if your ski is too short?

Snowcat

Booting up
Skier
What are the indications that your ski is too short? What will you notice while skiing? More specifically, what will you notice in different conditions, such as 1) on hardpack, 2) in softer snow, 3) on steeps, etc.? Thanks!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
For me I notice a short ski when I lose stability or if I get the sensation that the ski is folding over when I lay into it (possibly synonymous with too soft).

Last edited:

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
This is actually kind of a trick question because snow conditions, terrain, ability AND intended use ALL factor into "proper length" selection.

But there's really a fundamental answer to your question: if your skis feel too short to you - for what you're trying to do with them - then they probably are. Otherwise, continue having fun.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The ski is too short when the soft snow platform under it will not support the load from your turn and you slide sideways instead of base-carve arc-2-arc when you would be carving arc-2-arc on a longer ski.

The ski is too short when it fails to smooth out the bumps and demands your full attention to stay on top of it with regards to fore-aft balance when skiing choppy snow or making GS turns in small (less than knee high) bumps, or encountering unexpected bumps (e.g. snow gun whales with your goggles full of snow gun spray).

The ski is too short when it fails to provide the float YOU WANT, and a longer model in that ski will provide that float.

IMHO, a ski is too soft, not too short, when it folds up on you.

In the old days, circa 1983, longer skis were needed for stability, with a noticeable difference between lengths differing by 5 cm. Now not so much; it's more a function of the ski design. I'm not sure when that changed, but it did. Now a longer length in an unstable at speed (say 55 mph) ski in the middle length is even more unstable and harder to manage in its longer length, at least on hard snow.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d say it’s too short if it doesn’t come up at least to your chin. Definitely if it doesn’t reach your collar bone! Unless you’re talking ski skates.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
What are the indications that your ski is too short? What will you notice while skiing? More specifically, what will you notice in different conditions, such as 1) on hardpack, 2) in softer snow, 3) on steeps, etc.? Thanks!

Its a matter of preference depending on conditions, skiing style/technique, speed and where you like to ski and how and of course ski design and construction.

Also, a lot of times if you feel that the ski is too long or short you might just be on the wrong ski for you not length.

Take the Monster 88 for example which I love and own in 184cm. I have skied the 177cm length as well and loved it. I would be very happy with either length.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I recall when Volkl introduced the four star. Lots of good skiers drank the cool aid and skied them short. 'Like 154 cm, with 6 foot grown (fat) men on them.

Those days are gone.

But super shapes still ski well shorter than other designs ......

eta

I'm 6 foot, 165# and ski 180cm carvers here in the eastern ice. There are 185-190 length skis in my ski room. Shorter ones as well. (I don't ski the 205s much any more, the bindings are not MNC ;-)
I recently skied in the Sierras on some 187cm length skis that are reputed to be rather "burly".

First day the ski felt heavy to swing around. By the third day, in 18 inches of fresh, The same ski was a positive delight. Slashing first tracks, and busting cut tracks with aplomb.

How to know? Give a longer ski a fair try! And respect the conditions!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You like it at slow to medium speeds, but wonder what changed when you're skiing faster, but still within your comfort level.

Sponsor

Staff online