• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

History of the Astraltune

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a great history of the fabeled Astraltune
1703256228817.png

HOW THE ASTRALTUNE PROGRESSED FROM AN INNOVATIVE IDEA IN THE MIND OF A YOUNG FREESTYLE SKIER TO BECOME THE WORLD’S FIRST PORTABLE MUSIC PLAYER​

The ability to listen to music whenever and wherever you want, at least by 2021 standards, is relatively unremarkable. However, this wasn’t always the case. Before smartphones became home to vast libraries of music, there were mp3 players, some more memorable than others. Microsoft’s Zune. Sandisk’s Sansa. The iPod, of course. Before that, there was the Sony Discman, and before that, the Sony Walkman. But to reach the true genesis of the portable music player, it is important to travel back even further, to the winter of 1973, when the idea of listening to music on the go was just that: an idea floating around inside the head of a college student from Orinda named Andy Bowers.

Full story here...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well personally I would not ski with earbuds or headphones ever. It's distracting and dumbs down your ability to be aware of your surroundings. I think it's unsafe for both the person skiing with it AND those around them.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember wanting an Astraltune and not being able to afford it so I took my cassette player and my mother sewed a puch and harnedd so i could wear it on my chest. I soon found the limitations of a Realistic cassette deck in that everytime I hit a mogul the music from cassette wo-obble.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember wanting an Astraltune and not being able to afford it so I took my cassette player and my mother sewed a puch and harnedd so i could wear it on my chest. I soon found the limitations of a Realistic cassette deck in that everytime I hit a mogul the music from cassette wo-obble.
Did the same thing. The batteries died in half an hour in the cold as well.

Quazman

Booting up
Skier
Was skiing Mary Jane in 1980 or 81 and Alstraltunes had a demo day. My buddy and I grabbed our “party tapes” from the car and had an awesome day. As a poor student at CU there was no way I could afford that luxury but that was a memorable day in the bumps at “The Jane”!

Sponsor

Staff online