• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help with choosing a current model intermediate ski for most conditions

drscott266

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Finally found this forum, and need some help... hope this is in the right place. I need help with what ski's to look at this year, as my current bonafides are likely too much for me. A little about me, been skiing for years, get out once or twice at most each winter. Mostly east coast in MD, as the kid gets older we hope to get out west more. I started with K2 Apaches, upgraded to Blizzard Bushwhackers, and when those had a quality issue and separated I was forced to upgrade and went with Bonafides. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am 40, have had a handful of lessons but am not really that technically good at skiing (yet I love it). I can parrallel ski no issue on most blues, but when it gets steeper I get sloppy and pressure my heels a ton. My last lesson in Breck I listed myself as a class 7 and they said I should be more of a 3 or 4, until I can carve turns regularly with ease. I like to ski slow with finesse, and am just not comfy going fast. Had my BW's not broke I would still be skiing them, but since they are no longer offered what should I be looking at? Bones are just on paper too much for me, and don't even fit what I realized I am looking for. I demo'd them and found them approachable but it was definitely an aspirational purchase.

I have heard the Rustler 10 would be more playful, the Line Sick Day comes up, but I am kinda at a loss. Want a wide enough ski that it can be my only one, as even when we go out west I stick to groomers. East coast gets lots of mixed snow conditions so the 90-100 wide hasn't bothered me. Can anyone point me to a few options that would be forgiving and easy to turn, but are wide enough to handle some fresh snow now and then. I am 6'3" and 185lbs so I am not a powerful build by any means, always been in the 180cm range but please advise if any suggestions should be bought longer? Let me know when you think I should be investigating for a fun multi condition easy skiing setup! Thanks in advance.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
There are some encompassing video reviews and decent descriptis on skiessentials.com of actual ski models in different widths. Maybe that's a good start....

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you only get out once or twice a year, then I recommend seeing a boot fitter and buying boots and then rent skis.

The big advantage of renting demo skis but not buying is that each time out you can get the newest, latest, greatest skis. Rent from an on mountain shop and you can become a test pilot changing ski throughout the day if desired.

TS
D

drscott266

Skier
Yep, I have some pretty great fitting boots but don’t mind buying a pair of skis. The issue I can’t seem to figure out is how to find forgiving ski options, as it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack picking a model and searching for review. When I bought my Apache’s it was just trusting the shop and going, looking for a guess a step above whatever made them recommend those. I want to learn to carve turns but honestly don’t see myself going much faster regardless. What characteristics am I looking for, as flex is not easily determined on brand sites... I know less metal is good for what I am looking for, but that keeps spitting out park skis it seems

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ilf you primarily ski in the east you would probably benefit from something narrower than mid 90s. The Nordica Navigator 85 or even 80 would probably be a good choice.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, I have some pretty great fitting boots but don’t mind buying a pair of skis. The issue I can’t seem to figure out is how to find forgiving ski options, as it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack picking a model and searching for review. When I bought my Apache’s it was just trusting the shop and going, looking for a guess a step above whatever made them recommend those. I want to learn to carve turns but honestly don’t see myself going much faster regardless. What characteristics am I looking for, as flex is not easily determined on brand sites... I know less metal is good for what I am looking for, but that keeps spitting out park skis it seems
Have you tried the Ski Selector?

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ilf you primarily ski in the east you would probably benefit from something narrower than mid 90s. The Nordica Navigator 85 or even 80 would probably be a good choice.
I agree 100% if you stick to groomers you should look at narrower skis.

TS
D

drscott266

Skier
Volkl Kanjo popped up, it’s 84 wide and has no metal. Do you all think that’s a viable option?

TS
D

drscott266

Skier
Hell yeah. You'll love them.
What length do you think in those would make sense at 6’3” 185lbs? 182 cm isn’t even showing up with a weight on volkl’s site. I can only really find 175’s on most sites as longest. Will ask my local shop tomorrow, but I am used to 180 range and even that is on shorter side for my height at least.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
For your size, the Kendo 88 in 177cm would be an even better match for you and the 177cm Mindbender 90ti another good option too. Kanjo better suited to lighter skiers.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
What length do you think in those would make sense at 6’3” 185lbs? 182 cm isn’t even showing up with a weight on Völkl’s site. I can only really find 175’s on most sites as longest. Will ask my local shop tomorrow, but I am used to 180 range and even that is on shorter side for my height at least.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to really be your sounding board but these guys are:
2021 Volkl Kanjo 84 Ski Review - Chairlift Chat (skiessentials.com)
HIGHLY recommend those guys, they're an awesome reservoir of information and they respond to use questions pretty quickly.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
For your size, the Kendo 88 in 177cm would be an even better match for you and the 177cm Mindbender 90ti another good option too. Kanjo better suited to lighter skiers.
Yeah even at ~160lb and 5' 8" the Kanjo felt a bit noodly to me when I demoed them.

TS
D

drscott266

Skier
Talked to my local shop and we decided the Kanjo’s would be a good fit, they had the last pair of 182’s in MD so I picked them up. Got to take them out today, and it was the most fun I have had skiing that I can remember. Super energetic and just easy to ski. Thanks for all the advice, it got me to look at narrower skis than I ever would have

Sponsor

Staff online