• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a ski please

Thepiman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I’m 6’1” and 95kg (+/- 4kg as my weight can fluctuate). I’m 43 years old, I’m pretty good shape, albeit a little overweight. I do a lot of leg work in the gym, so have fairly strong legs.

I have skied for about 27 years, trying to get at least one trip in a season, and sometimes lucky enough to go twice a season. I probably have c. 170 days total of skiing under my belt. I like to ski fast, and primarily ski on piste, making large radius turns. Occasionally I will do some moguls, but that accounts for less than 5% of my time on the mountain. My technique is ok; I can get down (European) blacks, but I’m most comfortable on reds.

i have owned my own pair of boots for the last 13 years, a pair of Technika TEN.2 120. These are still going strong although the liner must be approaching 100 days use and is starting to feel packed out so I’m going to invest in some intuition liners to get more life out of the boots.

I would like to buy a pair of skis. I have always rented. Last year whilst in Chamonix, I rented a pair of Black Crows Serpo in the 186.3cm length and really enjoyed them. But since that trip I’ve struggled as not all resorts I ski in are big enough to have such a good variety of skis in the longer lengths. For example, I’ve just come back from Valmeinier where I really struggled to find a ski that I enjoyed as much as the Serpo. I looked into buying a pair of Serpos, but was put off by the price which seems really high. At most I will use the ski 11 days a year.

I have tried cheaper alternatives such as the Dynastar M cross 82 in 184cm length, but didn’t enjoy this at all. It was ok at speed, but I felt it didn’t have nearly as much grip as the Serpos on icy patches. Possibly because this ski only has a 15m turning radius whereas the Serpo have 20m turning radius, but it surprised me as the Serpos are almost 1cm wider than the M Cross 82, so I would have thought the M Cross 82 could carve more easily, but this didn’t appear to be the case (there was almost a year between skiing each ski, so difficult to make a fair Comparison.

Other thing I like about the Serpo is that it was relatively light. For example, I’ve been recommended a Mordica Enforcer 94 but this seems quite heavy for a ski that I will be lugging around European airports.

Other ski I’ve considered is the Blizzard Brahma 88, but haven’t had the opportunity to try it, and unlikely to in the future as I tend to go to smaller resorts. For example next week I’m going to Bansko.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Serpo is a great ski. If you liked it and rode it. I think you have your answer. Rossi is discontinuing the Experience 86Ti. Might be able to get a deal. Similar edgehold to a serpo. Good luck.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Brahma 88 and 82 are also going away next year, so deals might be available. I'm taller and a little heavier than you. I've been skiing an 82 in 180 cm which I find is enough for most days except when we get a lot of fresh snow. I use for mixed days on the groom for carving and in the bumps.

TS
T

Thepiman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Serpo is a great ski. If you liked it and rode it. I think you have your answer. Rossi is discontinuing the Experience 86Ti. Might be able to get a deal. Similar edgehold to a serpo. Good luck.
Thanks @Tytlynz64 but I’ve actually skied that ski, or one very similar to it, and found it too soft. Don’t forget I’m a heavy guy a big legs to carry that weight.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @Tytlynz64 but I’ve actually skied that ski, or one very similar to it, and found it too soft. Don’t forget I’m a heavy guy a big legs to carry that weight.
“where I really struggled to find a ski that I enjoyed as much as the Serpo. I looked into buying a pair of Serpos, but was put off by the price which seems really high.”

If price is the concern, the Brahma would be a good choice. The 2023 Salomon Stance 96( not the current one) will give you edge grip and support your weight. I am 260lbs and it didn’t buckle. Also if you can find one it should be on sale. 95 kilos is not that heavy. A 2023 K2 mindbender 89ti might be worth a look. Outdoor xl in the Netherlands had them on sale.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The outgoing volkl kendo should be on sale soon as well and is worth a look.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have tried cheaper alternatives such as the Dynastar M cross 82 in 184cm length, but didn’t enjoy this at all. It was ok at speed, but I felt it didn’t have nearly as much grip as the Serpos on icy patches. Possibly because this ski only has a 15m turning radius whereas the Serpo have 20m turning radius, but it surprised me as the Serpos are almost 1cm wider than the M Cross 82, so I would have thought the M Cross 82 could carve more easily, but this didn’t appear to be the case (there was almost a year between skiing each ski, so difficult to make a fair Comparison.

Or - the tune was bad on the M Cross.

Sponsor

Staff online