• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me find a carving ski

Peppermint

Trying to Improve
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello,

I would like help finding a carving specific ski to help me improve my technique. I plan on taking lessons next year and am considering Taos womens Ski Week as well. I am 54 y/o woman, 165lbs and 5'6''. I ski primarily in the Northeast using the Indy Pass so places like Jay Peak, Waterville Valley and Bolton Valley. I have been skiing for 25 years but have had some injuries the past few years that have made me more cautious so I am looking for a ski to help me regain my confidence again and hopefully progress. Right now I stick to blue groomers mostly and get on Blacks sometimes when I ski with my kids. I would love to learn how to ski moguls and trees, mostly since I feel I am missing a huge part of the mountain. My boots are 2 years old and am dialed in.

I have demoed the Head Super Joy 153mm which were fine but they felt too light for me and I didn't love them. I have also been on the Rossignol Essential 167mm and I loved them the way they snapped out of turns and their heavy feel but they felt a bit too long. The 155mm is on a killer deal right now but I am afraid if I sized down, the stiffness of the ski would increase, which may be too much for me. I currently ski on the Liberty V76 165mm and really like them but feel like my skiing has plateaued. I am open to any suggestions for a carving ski.

Thanks

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Did you try the newer version of the Super Joy? I hated the older version but the new one has some backbone to it so it no longer feels like you are skiing on a feather.

What about the Head Rally? Someone suggested this to me a while back when I was looking for a ski to help me progress.

I was in an intermediate plateau for forever and what helped me the most in the past 2 years was my 7 week ladies clinic at Butternut and a 2 day intensive clinic at Magic.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like help finding a carving specific ski to help me improve my technique. I plan on taking lessons next year and am considering Taos womens Ski Week as well. I am 54 y/o woman, 165lbs and 5'6''. I ski primarily in the Northeast using the Indy Pass so places like Jay Peak, Waterville Valley and Bolton Valley. I have been skiing for 25 years but have had some injuries the past few years that have made me more cautious so I am looking for a ski to help me regain my confidence again and hopefully progress. Right now I stick to blue groomers mostly and get on Blacks when I have to. I would love to learn how to ski moguls and trees, mostly since I feel I am missing a huge part of the mountain. My boots are 2 years old and am dialed in.

I have demoed the Head Super Joy 153mm which were fine but they felt too light for me and I didn't love them. I have also been on the Rossignol Essential 167mm and I loved them the way they snapped out of turns and their heavy feel but they felt a bit too long. The 155mm is on a killer deal right now but I am afraid if I sized down, the stiffness of the ski would increase, which would be too much for me. I currently ski on the Liberty V76 and really like them but feel like my skiing has plateaued.

Appears you are looking for two different skis.

Work through the conflicting ideas will help to narrow down the field.

TS
Peppermint

Peppermint

Trying to Improve
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Appears you are looking for two different skis.
I am looking for a carving ski. I didn't mean to muddy the waters with talking about trees and moguls. I got caught up talking about all my skiing aspirations!

Get that Liberty V76 ground and tuned to 0.7 base, 2 side. (They were often terrible from the factory
They were ground and tuned at Ski MD. I don't remember the numbers but the skis are in great shape.
I have not been on the Stockli AS yet but will demo if I can. Yes the price is $$$$ but would consider if I fall in love with it.

Did you try the newer version of the Super Joy?

I tried the 23/24 version. What year did they get a backbone?

What about the Head Rally?
I haven't tried them yet but will put on list to demo.

I was in an intermediate plateau for forever and what helped me the most in the past 2 years was my 7 week ladies clinic at Butternut and a 2 day intensive clinic at Magic.
I'm glad you were able to progress. It gives me hope! I have 2 days at Magic so will look into lessons there.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@Peppermint

Miy SJs are the 23 model. I believe this model and beyond are the beefed up ones. I tried a model a few years ago and they were freakishly light, hated them. The SJ is an amazing ski. Great on hard pack and has a fairly wide shovel so can handle some mixed too. I was duly impressed.

Volkl Blaze perhaps. Very easy to ski and pretty versatile.

Volkl Flair?

Head Absolute Joy

Perhaps there's some newer offerings that people can suggest for you.

Butternut has great terrain and $40 midweek lift tickets. $25 on Fridays.

Bromley and Magic have great ski schools. Magics terrain is challenging as it's a pretty steep place but it's a lot of fun. Skiing a green at Magic will up your game. Bromley is less step and super fun too.

I teach at Magic (ski school) and Bromley (adaptive)

Let me know if you come to Magic. I typically don't teach more advanced lessons but I'd love to take a fun run or two with you.

Magic does two 2 day clinics. Green to blue and a blue to black. I've taken both and they are awesome. They have a sports psychologist and a ski instructor on snow with you for 2 days. They are phenomenal lessons. They are typically late January and early February.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am looking for a carving ski. I didn't mean to muddy the waters with talking about trees and moguls. I got caught up talking about all my skiing aspirations!

A carving ski is a good tool to learn and improve your skiing fundamentals with. Good starter ski.

If you are coming to Taos, bring a all mountain ski 85 to 88 underfoot. If you want to ski bumps. A carver is usually not suitable for off piste here.

Volkl Blaze perhaps. Very easy to ski and pretty versatile.

The Volkl Blaze series are decent bump skis but lack the camber required to provide real suspension on the groomers.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you feel you are plateau on the Liberty, then drop a few mm to the skis. Head SuperShape e-Magnum at 156/163.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A carving ski is a good tool to learn and improve your skiing fundamentals with. Good starter ski.

If you are coming to Taos, bring a all mountain ski 85 to 88 underfoot. If you want to ski bumps. A carver is usually not suitable for off piste here.

The Volkl Blaze series are decent bump skis but lack the camber required to provide real suspension on the groomers.

Thanks, I have only had my blaze out on a mixed condition day. I do know a woman who skis her blazes on everything including groomers but I would consider her an advanced skier.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Hello,

I would like help finding a carving specific ski to help me improve my technique. I plan on taking lessons next year and am considering Taos womens Ski Week as well. I am 54 y/o woman, 165lbs and 5'6''. I ski primarily in the Northeast using the Indy Pass so places like Jay Peak, Waterville Valley and Bolton Valley. I have been skiing for 25 years but have had some injuries the past few years that have made me more cautious so I am looking for a ski to help me regain my confidence again and hopefully progress. Right now I stick to blue groomers mostly and get on Blacks sometimes when I ski with my kids. I would love to learn how to ski moguls and trees, mostly since I feel I am missing a huge part of the mountain. My boots are 2 years old and am dialed in.
Do you want straight up carving or do you want bump ability as well?

I had the V76, it was a let down compared to the Deacon, RTM, Head Rally and Titan. At 176 it was pretty soft and compliant, more like an intermediate/advanced ski.

If you want good bump ability and more backbone than the V76, then the Black Pearl 82 and Experience 82 TI are great candidates. They aren't as dedicated to the front side like the ones below, but will be a bit more versatile.

If you want more carving biased, then the Rally, Titan, SuperJoy, power joy, etc. would be a nice starting point. Boy skis are really unisex skis if you size correctly and just move the binding mount forward 1-2 cm. Easy to do if you are getting it flat, if it's a system binding, then you may have trouble getting it far enough forward if you have small feet in a 22.5 or 23.5 mondo boot. No problem at all if you are at a 24.5 or bigger. :)

TS
Peppermint

Peppermint

Trying to Improve
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is it with the Liberty V76’s that you feel is holding you back?

They are a fun compliant ski but I just don't feel like I am carving with them. Possibly too long at 165mm and not stiff enough for what I am trying to accomplish. Wouldn't a shorter more narrow ski help quicken my progression or am I wrong thinking that?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
They are a fun compliant ski but I just don't feel like I am carving with them. Possibly too long at 165mm and not stiff enough for what I am trying to accomplish. Wouldn't a shorter more narrow ski help quicken my progression or am I wrong thinking that?

From my experience with the V76, its not that stiff of a ski nor very refined. My guess is you would be right in the slot with a ski from 160-168 CM but one that's less compliant and geared toward a higher skill level.

So congrats, you are indeed leveling up, or just getting your money's worth out of what you have and they just don't have the pop they used to. :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Take a couple lessons from an L3 instructor. Ask to focus on arc to arc carving. Many L2s cannot do it, so insist on an L3. For acquiring the skill your V76 should be fine.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Stockli Montero AS, 160cm
76mm, 12.6m radius sidecut
Done. Only prob is the cost.

Get that Liberty V76 ground and tuned to 0.7 base, 2 side. (They were often terrible from the factory
+1 Keep the V76's
Getting a ski properly ground and tuned by a top technician can transform it. If you've ever taken your old car in to have it detailed, the feeling is similar. Look for a shop that does most of the racer's skis in your area.

If the 0.7 base angle makes them hook up too quickly for your taste in bumps, you can easily increase it. If you start with more, you can't reduce it without starting all over.

Sponsor

Staff online