• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me decided where to go skiing

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looking for some recommendations on where to go for a trip this year. We normally do a handful of trips to Utah and ski the mountains out there. Mainly Deer Valley and Park City. Me and a friend are looking to take one of those trips elsewhere.

Looking for something that has solid intermediate to advanced-intermediate terrain. I’m a big fan of the fall line intermediates at DV, especially Bald Mtn off of the Sterling, Wasatch, and Sultan lifts. (Steins Way and Tycoon are my favorite runs) My friend going with me doesn’t do too much on the advance side of things but would probably try some of the easier Black runs once he got comfortable.

We don’t need the craziest of night life, but would like some options to go out and get some drinks. Solid restaurant options would be a plus, high end steak restaurants or even foodie type places would be welcomed.

Would like to be able to stay fairly close to the mountain for easy access to and from skiing everyday.

Would like find a place relatively easy to get to and not have to drive too far after the flight.

Wouldn’t mind something a little “less traveled” and generally not so crowded.

Don’t mind spending some money if that’s what it takes.

Any recommendations?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen would be a good start to the list. .

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you are chasing soft snow, Aspen. If you want groomers, Sun Valley.

A side option for Sun Valley do a day of cat skiing at Soldier Mountain. It is about a hour away by car from Sun Valley a d costs $200 for the day. So far off of most people's radar that most skiers don't know it even exists.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree that Aspen, Sun Valley, and Telluride are all great fits. Aspen's closest to the airport, and has nonstop flights to Atlanta. Sun Valley requires changing planes, while Telluride's 90 minutes from Montrose Regional Airport. Similarly promising, Banff is 90 minutes from Calgary.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Intermediates delight- Snowmass/Aspen/Highlands..Snowmass is so big even on MLK day no crowds. Telluride is $$ but amazing Mt and Town, Big Sky Awesome MT. go visit Yellowstone, Sun Valley has steepest green trails but groomed to perfection and a Superb Town easy to walk everywhere. Mammoth is Mammoth, Fly to Reno, Ski Squaw, Alpine, Mt Rose, Heavenly before 3hr ride down to Mammoth..

TS
musicmatters

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ok - great info. I’m leaning towards Telluride.

Some recommendations on areas to stay? I’d like to be very easy to get to slopes.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Telluride is a great option. I prefer staying in town over the Mountain Village. If you do stay in town just try to find a place close to the gondola. If you do stay up in Mountain Village, everything is close to the slopes, but, you will be riding the gondola down to town for more variety in restaurants, etc. Also the village has you sleeping at over 9k above sea level.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
we stayed in a condo by Coonskin Lift (#7) walked across the street to the lift. There is a small day lodge w/rentals there. easy to come and go.
The condo complex was great, could walk INSIDE down the hallway to the Market!
it was pricey but worth it for the location. We were 4 blocks (short blocks) from DT and restaurants.

Sponsor

Staff online