• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helmet technology past MIPS

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
That would develop the same mechanism this provides.
The Q Collar is about blood flow, effectuated through outside pressure to the jugular, not strengthening/supporting the neck. I’ve seen people wearing them, but no experience myself.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have another look. It is not a neck brace. It affects venous blood return in the neck.

To me it seems like it directly f*cks with brain fluid pressure self regulation but I am not medically trained so *dunno*. It might be money spending on the useless.

breakaway01

Booting up
Skier
I'm a physician who does basic lab research but not a neurologist and do not do any research on trauma/brain injury etc, so take this for what it's worth.

I looked at the materials on the Q30 website and here are my three takeaways
- good preclinical data in animal models so the premise for studying in humans is good
- all of the human data that they presented are what we'd call 'surrogate outcomes'. This means that they did not demonstrate improvements in outcomes that we'd consider to be important in the real world (concussions, TBI diagnoses, etc) but rather improvements in MRI scan findings. It is currently difficult to know whether these MRI findings will translate to better real-world outcomes, but these things may take years if not decades to manifest.
- there were no Q30 data presented showing that their device actually reduced the risk of concussions. They tested their device in hockey/football/soccer players over significant amounts of time (a full season of soccer, for example) so one would think that if there had been a significant reduction in concussion risk that the company would be very eager to report that.

Another gap in our knowledge as @raytseng implies is, what is the risk of subconcussive brain injury among recreational skiers? Not an expert here -- found one study that reported a 9% prevalence of having had at least one medical professional-diagnosed concussion related to skiing/snowboarding. Nearly 22% of males reported having sustained a suspected concussion (with all of the limitations that come with self-reported survey research). But I couldn't find anything about subconcussive injury.

My two cents on this is that there aren't enough data yet to judge the effectiveness of the Q30 device and on the risk of subconcussive TBI in skiers.

TS
J

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Starting looking for an Anon helmet with their "Wavecel" tech recently and experienced some of the strangest responses from the retailers I've ever seen when shopping. 3 separate retail places turned their noses up almost immediately when I asked if they carried Anon. When asked why they reacted that way they all gave a sort of hush-hush, "if you know, you know" kind of response.

What gives? Did Burton/Anon piss off the entire industry? Are they charlatans now capitalizing on the sports popularity? Are retailers getting pissy about direct to consumer sales? Or is this some kind of snowboard vs skier hate?

Calvin & Hobbes

Booting up
Skier
Giro used thier MIPS Spherical. I had a really crash last year and it believe did it's job. Prove me wrong.

One thing that I like about Giro's Spherical system is that allows for two densities of foam. Firmer density foam is needed to reduce impact forces in higher speed crashes, but that fails to protect against concussions in lower speed crashes.

Sponsor

Staff online