• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Does anyone wear beanies under their helmet? Now that I have a Squaw pass (last year was Sugar Bowl), I have to deal with more winds, and I can feel it a bit with the new helmet. I've looked online, but it's hard to see what's thin enough. Any reccos?

Helmets seem to be getting lighter and as a result not quite as warm. Most any ski shop should carry thin helmet liners.

I wear a light weight polyester skull cap and switch to a similar weight full hood on the really cold days for extra protection for neck and chin.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Helmets do pack out a little bit depending on the type of foam lining they have.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use light thin running skull caps. My favorite is from Brooks and it has a ponytail slot.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
On the question of helmet pack-out: I bought a Smith Vantage after the end of last season. I have a pretty large head, so I bought the biggest size. It seemed just a bit tight, so I worried. For a while I thought I'd send it back, but then I tried on my bike helmet, which was smaller. So ok. After one day skiing, the Smith fit was perfect — no pain, no headache, no irritated skier. The difference was that the liner had packed out, just enough to make it comfortable. I haven't tried on my thin balaclava yet, but I think it'll work.
Thanks for the post, I have a similar situation having bought an XL Vantage on sale and feeling a bit snug around the house. I usually wear a 7 5/8 hat, so I figured this would have been an easy fit.
I know I have a large melon, but I cant have something that is the upper end of the curve.
Let's see how it fits... I might end up needing to buy another and selling the Vantage.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
Does anyone wear beanies under their helmet?
A thin balaclava or beanie is safer than a bulky knit beanie.

One critical part of any helmet is the expanded polystyrene foam lining just under the shell. The shell protects against penetration. The EPS liner absorbs shock. When the speeding head crashes into that tree the skull stops and the brain keeps moving in its fluid inside the skull. When the brain slams into the inside of the skull, you have a concussion or worse. The EPS absorbs much of the initial shock and allows a somewhat gentle slowing of the skull to reduce that brain slam. A thick puffy knit beanie negates this--it allows the momentum of the head to continue until it slams the inside of the helmet.

This is all part of proper fit & sizing. While we need proper internal shape & size for comfort, we also absolutely need it for safety.

The third critical part of the helmet, in addition to the shell and the EPS liner, is the retention strap. If it is loose and allows the helmet to fall off, then the helmet was only good to carry stickers.

I was skiing at Whitewater last winter and saw a young woman instructor wearing her goggles on her forehead and her helmet on the back of her head. Stupidly unsafe and a terrible example for the ski students. Should I have said something?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think a brim is a good safety feature. It can transfer impact to the head through the helmet rather than through the goggles when it extends beyond the goggles. I think for anyone that wears glasses under their goggles this would be a distinct advantage.

This is what happens when you don't have a brim that extends past your goggles.

IMG_0325.jpg

I got snagged in the trees and hit a tree with my goggles first.
A few stitches set me right.

Last edited:

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I'm going through the same questions and doubts myself, currently.
I need to replace my aging helmet (Giro Bad Leutenant, size L, which I love despite the lack of air intake and circulation), and double the quiver.
Need :
-"Racing" helmet.
This will be primarily used during training and racing (if and when I will re-enter the actual racing arena and not only the training in gates part, is still to be seen, but at least one race, I will have to take part into, so I need a FIS vouched helmet for that)
I set my eyes on the Briko 6.8 Protetto, alas w/o fluid system (USSA colours, I am not American, but "Old Glory" colour scheme has been, when racing, with me since my early (teen-age) racing days, so the colour scheme seems only fitting) , problem : my melon size is closer to 59, available sizes are 58 or 60...should I go smaller or bigger (and then use a thin cap to fill, if neded) ? I tried a size 58 and the back of my head (not to mention the forehead) felt too exposed..couldn't try a 60 and if will decide for it I will either have to buy it online or wait till next season-
-Everyday/freeriding helmet...I would really like to get a Sweet protection (with or w/o brim, better if removable, though) melon saver here, but they are hard to find...what other options (I tried Oakley Mod3 and Mod 5, they fit ok but colours available are ugly) are available?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does anyone wear beanies under their helmet?

Yes, I've got 3 of them. Two thin skullcaps and one bacalava . Its never been cold enough for the bacalava. The main advantage of a beanie or skull-cap is that you can throw it in the wash -- to get rid of all the sweat and head-grime. You don't want that stuff accumulating on the inside of your helmet.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think a brim is a good safety feature. It can transfer impact to the head through the helmet rather than through the goggles when it extends beyond the goggles. I think for anyone that wears glasses under their goggles this would be a distinct advantage.

View attachment 46076

Dude!
The first small brim helmet I had I broke it off skiing. Smith Variant Brim. I came into the empty liftline and went for sliding sideways through the whole thing. Well I caught an edge and faceplanted, breaking the brim. The liftie was entertained.
I think the real large brims are not recommended because the brim increases force on the neck in a fall where it hits the ground.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@James , I'm thinking brims that are very small. Something along these lines if this:

https://www.skis.com/Pret-Cynic-X-Helmet/478273P,default,pd.html

Just enough to extend to or slightly beyond the goggles, not a sun visor.

I agree that a protruding brim could dig in and cause neck injury. That is the same thinking behind FIS prohibiting helmets face guards (except in SL).

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 46076

Holy crap!
What helmet did you have on?
I know that there are some goggle/helmet combinations that work better together. I think Phil had an issue with one of his Pret Helmets not covering the goggle, but I'm not sure which model helmet or goggle he was trying.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Holy crap!
What helmet did you have on?
I know that there are some goggle/helmet combinations that work better together. I think Phil had an issue with one of his Pret Helmets not covering the goggle, but I'm not sure which model helmet or goggle he was trying.

This was a few years ago. I had on a Giro helmet (I think) and some Smith goggles designed to be worn over glasses. Being glasses-compatible they had a deep frame. They probably stuck out 1/4 inch or more from the helmet. I only used glasses in them for a brief time but continued to use them because they were nice goggles. I can't imagine what might have happened if I'd had glasses on.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
@James , I'm thinking brims that are very small. Something along these lines if this:

https://www.skis.com/Pret-Cynic-X-Helmet/478273P,default,pd.html

Just enough to extend to or slightly beyond the goggles, not a sun visor.

I agree that a protruding brim could dig in and cause neck injury. That is the same thinking behind FIS prohibiting helmets face guards (except in SL).
Me like that helmet (w/ MIPS feature nonetheless) in that colour combo at that price...but first need a GS sanctioned race helmet...I'll keep a tab on it anyway

Sponsor

Staff online