• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Helly Hansen Alpha 4.0 vs. Alpha LifaLoft

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm hoping someone may be able to answer some questions for me about these jackets. I understand that the Alpha 4.0 has PrimaLoft insulation and the LifaLoft has HH's proprietary LifaLoft insulation, but I can't tell whether one is warmer than the other and whether there are other material differences in the jackets, particularly with regard to water and wind resistance. Anyone have any experience with these? The 4.0 is cheaper, so, all things being equal, I'd probably go that way.

Last edited:

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Can’t compare but the lifaloft is very very warm. Almost too warm.

TS
ATLSkier

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
In case anyone searches for this in the future, Helly Hansen said the jackets are the same with regard to waterproofing and wind protection. The primary difference is that the LifaLoft jack will be a little warmer. The LifaLoft also appears to have an interior chest pocket when there is not one on the Alpha 4.0.

jyl

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Alpha, or at least mine, has a zippered pocket inside the left chest.

My Alpha is pretty warm. 20F and windy blowing snow on a long lift ride, thermal undershirt, vintage “Look” sweater, and the Alpha, pit zips open, and I’m fine.

One complaint: the fabric wets out a bit at the edges, meaning the hem gets drippy and saturated - but that’s if you’re skiing in rain (PNW here). Another complaint: the big mesh inside pocket isn’t so secure, little stuff can fall out when you tumble. Both very minor fusses. I like the jacket.

foggy1

Booting up
Skier
My wife has a LifaLoft jacket that she's used all season. We're fairly disappointed in the jacket due to shell material. The pass pocket started fraying after about 20 days. Looks like where you'd have an outline of your wallet on the back pocket of your jeans in the old days.

Also has a couple small tears on the shoulder where you carry your skis. This is after about 50 days of use.

My Arcteryx shell is much more durable, but with no warmth other than wind blocking attributes. After 4 seasons the only issue is the gore-tex lining is coming off around the neck area where it rubs against the helmet. We'll pay a little more and get a more durable shell next time.

Sponsor

Staff online