• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Southern CA!

Aquiverfull

The mountains are calling and I must go.
Skier
My dad taught me to ski when I was 10 or 11 at our local Mtns. in Big Bear. My dad also bought me my 1st pair of ski's and boots when I was a teen. My mom (divorced) fanned the flame with spring ski trips to Mammoth and in high school, (on random Fridays after school) I would go up with friends to Wrightwood for night skiing. I am most accustomed to cruddy snow as that is what I have available on short notice and a 2hr-ish drive away. My last 2 big trips in the winter of '89 were to Mammoth with friends at age 19 . Then marriage, a surfer ocean minded hubby (doesn't like to be cold) and six babies slowed me wayyyy down. After nearly a 20yr sabbatical from skiing (sad, I know) in 2009 (may have been a midlife crisis, lol) I decided it was time to get back into the sport I loved! Sans the unwilling hubby I committed 100%. I said to my children, "Kids, this winter we are going to ski! This is moms sport! Dad gave you surfing, I am giving you skiing!" I bought them all passes and gear ($$$$ ouch) and we drove the 2 hr drive every Thursday for the whole season year after year! And its been so great and rewarding to see them all progress as skiers (and a couple snowboarders...slowly converting over to skis, yes!). We were even blessed with a (bonus) 7th child 4yrs ago and I now have him on the slopes. Their dad is supper supportive but has never seen them ski other than the tons of footage I take on the slopes. It is truly my solo time with them. We had a couple bad years here at local mtns and I didn't renew passes. Now we are enjoying the Ikon pass as I take them to Tahoe every year for a week and my 4yo and 13yo are still getting on the slopes almost weekly here locally. I would say I am an intermediate skier, I was never given proper lessons and would like to improve greatly. Always wanted to learn to parallel ski, so pretty and graceful!! I will be 50 this year and really want to take my skiing to the next level. Up until now, I have been chasing my kids on the groomers and through the trees, some box slides at the park here and in Tahoe, half pipe even, yep I have done it several times, and lots of videoing all their accomplishments on the slopes. Ignorance is bliss they say... wherever they go, I go. It has been pure joy for me and worth the long hours prepping, packing and driving them to foster the love of the sport. I am hoping I can do this for at least 30 more years! I really love getting on a lift with a stranger, especially the senior skiers and hearing about their experiences and helpful tips. I hope to find that in this community here at pugski as well! Cheers! :beercheer:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome aboard!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello and welcome to pugski! We ski Mammoth and Big Bear regularly-- and enjoy meeting up with fellow interwebers:wave:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome! You are going fit right into this merry band of misfits.

Hope to ride a chair and make some turns with you someday.

TS
Aquiverfull

Aquiverfull

Skier
Welcome to PugSki, @Aquiverfull!
From one SoCaler (LA) who learned at and skied Big Bear and Wrightwood myself to another, I hope we can share some turns and memories one day!
Cheers!!
That would be awesome! I actually kinda have been toying with getting a Wrightwood night ski sesh in for ol' times sake, lol! That will take me back a few decades, ha!;)

TS
Aquiverfull

Aquiverfull

Skier
Welcome! You are going fit right into this merry band of misfits.

Hope to ride a chair and make some turns with you someday.
Thank you! That would be awesome! I see you are in PNW, my oldest and his wife live in WA! I would love to ski there! They said there are a couple resorts about and hour and a half from them. Hurricane Ridge and The Summit? I hear WA has some amazing snow for skiing.

TS
Aquiverfull

Aquiverfull

Skier
Hello and welcome to pugski! We ski Mammoth and Big Bear regularly-- and enjoy meeting up with fellow interwebers:wave:
socalgal,I would love to meet up! Big Bear/Summit closes soon, going to try to hit it 1 last time maybe next week with my 4yo. I haven't been there in a few weeks (that last snow storm they had in March) And, definitely trying to get a Mammoth trip in this month or next, (mid week) for a few days!! Trying to go out of 18/19 season with a bang, lol!:daffy:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! Sorry, I missed this when you first posted. Hopefully, I was skiing. I live in Big Bear and will now be transferring my spring allegiance to Mammoth. We definitely plan to be there Memorial Weekend and hopefully sooner. We have a pretty good group of SoCal skiers! Also, I took about 10 years off when my son was young and refusing to ski. Fortunately, he got over that! I hope to ski with you sometime.

TS
Aquiverfull

Aquiverfull

Skier
Welcome! Sorry, I missed this when you first posted. Hopefully, I was skiing. I live in Big Bear and will now be transferring my spring allegiance to Mammoth. We definitely plan to be there Memorial Weekend and hopefully sooner. We have a pretty good group of SoCal skiers! Also, I took about 10 years off when my son was young and refusing to ski. Fortunately, he got over that! I hope to ski with you sometime.

Hi Pat! So nice to meet you! I would love to ski with you too! We stayed in Big Bear for a few days March 19-21 and got some nice snow while we were there! I had been doing day trips for years and hadn't spent the night up there since winter '09...I just love it there, you are so blessed to have a hometown Mtn! We may try to go this week before it closes. Yes, I agree, finishing out the spring in Mammoth is a great idea! It is encouraging to hear I am not the only parent needing to take a sabbatical frorm skiing due to life and parenting. Thankfully, it really stays with you for the most part, but I would like to greatly improve my form. Do you know Kate Alvarez? She taught my 4yo a 3hr private at Summit, and has lived in Big Bear her whole life. She came highly recommended by the staff there. My son loves her! I think she said she has worked at Summit for 25yrs? Such a small town vibe that I crave, just love our trips there and... Get The Burger, lol!:roflmao:That fry sauce, oh my!:drool:
Thank you for your warm welcome! Hope to see you on the slopes soon!

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know Kate. We just moved up here in June after being weekend warriors for the last 20 years. I know a lot of the local skiers but only a couple of instructors. I'm going out for a couple of runs on Monday, but it doesn't look good. I suspect that only a few runs will be worth skiing and it will be about an hour of fun before it gets slushy.

Sponsor