• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from New Hampshire

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
Hello all, my name is Rich. My home hill is Mt. Sunapee in New Hampshire.

A bit about me: I raced (alpine) in high school and loved it. Liked the speed, smashing the gates, the late nights sharpening and waxing, even the pre-dawn bus rides to the races. Tried a season of ski patrolling, found it just wasn't for me. Lived in Georgia for three years for work before I was finally able to get back to New England. Got married, had a kid, and she's been on skis for 3 seasons now. (Started when she was 2.) (Tried real hard, but just could NOT teach her to stop or turn or wedge. Finally paid for some lessons this season and, man, I should have been doing that long ago.... :) ) Actually just took her through her first NASTAR course a month ago. Had to go ahead of her to guide her around the gates the right way, but what the heck-she finished standing up and smiling!

I'm looking to get back into the racing circuit. Believe me, I was never great at it-got started late in life, never could afford great gear, was always in a sweater and snowpants while everyone else was rocking the Spandex- but I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I figure I'll do NASTAR and some beer league stuff the next couple of years, with the ultimate goal of being able to compete on the New England Masters circuit without embarrassing myself.

That said: I'm here because there's a LOOOOOOOT of stuff I just don't know. To put it in perspective- I raced from 1991-1995. My GS skis were 203 cm Dynamic VR 27 geants with Geze bindings. (Dynamic, by the way, must be the French word for "Two by Four" because that's what it felt like I was riding on...) Been watching some races at the local hills and on youtube, and the racing technique is juuuuust a bit different than what I remember. So basically I plan on reading and learning and trying to catch up on some of the theory and vocabulary that I've missed out on. Training drills, tips, etc-I'm here to listen and learn.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome!
With contemporary equipment comes contemporary ski technique.
It won't hurt to take a lesson, trust me.

Glad you found Pugski

TS
Claymore76

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
Welcome!
With contemporary equipment comes contemporary ski technique.
It won't hurt to take a lesson, trust me.

Glad you found Pugski
It'll only hurt if I hit a tree. :) But seriously, absolutely. The current plan is to save up this summer and then hit the early season sales for some quality boots and slalom skis. Then there will most definitely be an investment in a lessons along the way. Kicking around the idea of a lesson before season's end here, too.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
It'll only hurt if I hit a tree. :) But seriously, absolutely. The current plan is to save up this summer and then hit the early season sales for some quality boots and slalom skis. Then there will most definitely be an investment in a lessons along the way. Kicking around the idea of a lesson before season's end here, too.

Welcome!

There’s plenty of snow up here to get some lessons done. Also be good time to start looking out for equipment deals.

James

Out There
Instructor
If sales are what your after, the time is spring.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Welcome. Ski occasionally at Sunapee with my wife, unfortunately they do not offer great deals for families with multiple kids so not a feasible home hill for us.
I figure I'll do NASTAR and some beer league stuff the next couple of years, with the ultimate goal of being able to compete on the New England Masters circuit without embarrassing myself.
Hoping to get into that as well in the next couple of years. I have given up on the whole self respect thing so I will start as soon as I know I will not kill myself. I reckon if I come in last I am providing a service by sparing some else that ignominy. :)

TS
Claymore76

Claymore76

Need for Speed
Skier
Thank you for all of your replies!

Corgski: Ha! And a generous service that would be! Good luck, maybe we'll run into each other at some point?

James: Agreed, but the ski shop I frequent has an annual sale on Labor Day weekend, too. They've been good to me in the past, so I try to support them.

EBG18T: Yeah, I was actually looking at Okemo's webpage this morning. I did Mt Snow once way back when the Jeep Owner Appreciation Day was still a thing; had a great time there.

dbostedo: Excellent, that's the kind of stuff I need to pick up. Muchas gracias!

Sponsor

Staff online