• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hello from Houston! Heading to Breckenridge next week!

Endodude

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys, stumbled across this awesome community. I'm originally from the UK and now can Houston home. Have previously been skiing in Europe and some of the smaller mountains in BC. I'm an early intermediate skier and have a week long trip coming up to Breckenridge on the 22nd Feb. Would love some tips and if anyone is around that week to show me around /give any tips!
I'm considering lessons but not sure about whether to go with the group lessons at breck or the elate tour (may be a little too advanced!?).

Look forward to being part of the community.
AJ

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to PugSki!

Breckenridge is a great choice at your level - lots of long blues that you should have fun on. I don't know about the particular lesson options you're looking at... but will say that I always recommend taking lessons whenever anyone can, so glad to hear you'll be taking one. :beercheer:

Maybe some Breck locals can help... @Doug Briggs? @Monique

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
AJ I'm heading to summit county on the 22nd as well. I'll ski one day at keystone at least one at ABasin and probably get a lesson there. ABasin is best for lessons in my opinion and cheap. If you can handle purple blues you'll love it. Even regular blues for one day it's awesome. I'll ski one day at ski Cooper because I've never been there. My other day is up in the air so far but I do have a season pass to copper so if there is decent snowfall and I'm sure I'm not doing another day at a basin then I'll ski a day at copper. Copper is not my favorite but I've never skied it with powder. If you wanted someone to ski one of these mountains with I'd be happy to give you the tour. ABasin is my favorite anywhere and keystone is really wonderful too. I do want to get into the back bowl of keystone and would love to have a partner with me as I don't tree ski alone. You don't have to be an amazing skier to ski back there but it's an amazing experience. The only reason it's a black diamond is the deeper snow and the fact that trees are obstacles. But we pick our way down and it's a lot of fun. Anyway I'll be there if you want to grab a beer and dinner at the Lost Cajun on main street in Frisco or if you want to go skiing at one of these mountains. Also a great sushi place on main street I like to catch dinner at.
Uriah

udailey

Skier
Should mention I'm in Houston too. Flying in on spirit airlines if you want to rideshare. I think I get in around 130pm.

TS
Endodude

Endodude

Booting up
Skier
Good to know! I already purschased a 6 day lift pass at Breck so will likely stay there but appreciate the offer. Private lessons are very costly at breck and its making me look at the group lessons (3 lessons for $300ish) and I'm hoping if i do midweek the groups may be smaller .Would be great to grab a bite one day though!

udailey

Skier
If you purchase the snow huggers club pass plus a group lesson at ABasin the whole day will only cost $105. It includes lift ticket. The math, when losing your day at Breck, might still work out. I'll message you my number and we could grab a bite and a beer.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Group lesson at Breck can cut both ways. Midweek could have a smaller group. But, it’s sort of busy every day here mid season. Weekend lessons have the benefit of being able to use the ski school lines at the lifts. The 3 days of lesson discount is a very good way to go.

If you are a low intermediate, then Breck is an amazing mountain. Challenge is many other intermediates will feel the same way!

Peak 7, 8 and 9 should have loads of options for you.
7 in particular is great, but the line at the bottom can get super long at times. The best value for a meal on the mountain at Breck is the rice and beans bowl at the top of Peak 7. Think a vegetarian chipotle bowl. It’s big an filling and the Pioneer crossing lodge at the top there is newer and nice.

Peak 8 is a very mixed bag. Lots of options. Anything listed as a blue should be easily skied. The 4-place chair often has a shorter line than the 6-place, and would still get you up to most blues.

Peak 9 is just as good as 7 for intermediate groomers. The key is to stay up on the Mercury chair for showered lines. Rather than skiing all the way to the base and the larger crowds using the beginner slopes. The family trails are the easier options.

A string intermediate can ski the groomed blacks on Peak 10 if you ask me. They are comparable to many blues at Keystone, Cooper, or ABasin.

If you feel like you are skiing confidently I HIGHLY recommend visiting Peak 6. The blues are the hardest at Breck, but it gets you above tree line. It’s a fun taste of the Alpine. Though if you skied the Alps you have had that adventure before.

You should have fun, and it seems conditions ought to be good

Sponsor

Staff online