• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated Gloves

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thermostatic control on the Chaval gloves works well except at the transition temperature. There is a point where no heat is too cool and heat on is too warm. So it's switch on/switch off/switch on/switch off.

If Chaval had one day turnaround for repairs I'd recommend them.

The heated drying system works well. When plugged in to recharge some heating elements are also activated. I hang the gloves cuff-up by the drawstrings so the warm moist air can rise, and they dry nicely.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Just curious how these have worked out for you? Specifically:
  • How are you finding battery strength? Manufacturer specs say High: 2.5Hrs Med. 3.5 hrs Low 6.0 hrs. Obviously depends on outdoor/windchill temps etc. but I am curious of your experiences.... and opinion on how long the battery would last on the Medium setting in -15C? (We'd be ok with swapping out batteries once during our hour long lunch break but swapping every 2 hrs is not going to work for us as we ski from 9:00-4:30)
  • How do you like the heating zones in the glove? Is the heat located on....or between all fingers and the thumb? Do your fingertips still get cold or is the heat located there as well? Is there heat on the back of the hand?
  • How the fit and finish?.....Any durability issues?
So far, I would have to say I'm satisfied.
The batteries seem to last me about three hours switching up between medium and hot.
If I could improve one thing it would be to have warmer thumbs, but that's true about every pair of mittens and gloves I've ever tried (including my expensive Outdoor Research mittens).
I have noticed at times that I must have unknowingly switched setting, as they were not where I rememember leaving them set. They have a light button/indicator with red for high, blue for medium, green for low. I also noticed on a couple of occassions that one glove has run out of power, while the other lasted for an additional 1/2 hour. When I tested it at home with a stop watch the gloves performed as advertised. Very confusing. I still haven't gotten an extra pair of batteries to swap out during the day.
I haven't gotten out on a really cold day with them yet (and I'm not complaining about the lack of -40 degree weather last year), but so far they are plenty warm enough.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That makes me curious. I'd think the battery duration on those settings wouldn't be too affected by weather... but the weather would affect how much or often you need to use it on high vs. med or low. Just a guess though.
The performance of all batteries is affected by cold. Just look at the cold weather travel distance range of electric vehicles before they need a recharge, or go start your car on a cold morning, even with a fully charged new battery.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to try my Lenz 6.0 heated mitts this past weekend, with temperatures from 20 to 25 degrees. I ordered them last year but didn't receive them in time to try them in cold weather.

I first tried them with liners, which cut off the circulation in my fingers and my finger tips were freezing. Once I went in and removed the liners and got my fingers back to room temperature, I went out again. It worked quite well. The mitts have individual finger tip pockets which is where the heat is delivered, and this extra heated lining explains why there wasn't enough space for thin wool liners to work.

I am using the RCB1800 batteries with the mitts, and really like how the battery connectors work. The Lenz quality is top notch. Even so they don't produce as much heat or last as long as my OR Capstone gloves with 2 batteries per glove. I like the dexterity of the OR Capstones, though will often use them with a shell mitt over them which negates the dexterity advantage, but I do at least have the option of removing the shells.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The performance of all batteries is affected by cold. Just look at the cold weather travel distance range of electric vehicles before they need a recharge, or go start your car on a cold morning, even with a fully charged new battery.
I well understand that... I was just thinking that in heated gloves, the temperature the battery is at is not greatly affected by the difference it sees in temperatures in winter. I suppose it depends on battery placement.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Big fan of warm fingers. Just a heads up - batteries from heated mitts/gloves will interfere with avalanche transceivers. Turn mitts/gloves off while in search mode. If you are buried, the search transceiver will experience interference within ~0.5 m radius of your mitts/gloves.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
So far, I would have to say I'm satisfied.
The batteries seem to last me about three hours switching up between medium and hot.
If I could improve one thing it would be to have warmer thumbs, but that's true about every pair of mittens and gloves I've ever tried (including my expensive Outdoor Research mittens).
I have noticed at times that I must have unknowingly switched setting, as they were not where I rememember leaving them set. They have a light button/indicator with red for high, blue for medium, green for low. I also noticed on a couple of occassions that one glove has run out of power, while the other lasted for an additional 1/2 hour. When I tested it at home with a stop watch the gloves performed as advertised. Very confusing. I still haven't gotten an extra pair of batteries to swap out during the day.
I haven't gotten out on a really cold day with them yet (and I'm not complaining about the lack of -40 degree weather last year), but so far they are plenty warm enough.

FYI: Costco is selling the heated ski gloves and the extra batteries and charger online now: "Karbon Heated Ski Gloves Goatskin Leather with Lithium-polymer Battery Item 4141111Model 782875PXL" and "Lithium-polymer Battery Replacement with Charger for Men's or Women's Heated Gloves. Item: 1515782 Model : 99BATGLVREP

I discovered - by calling Costco - that for the extra batteries/charger - in the product description part where it lists compatible glove models it actually lists the old costco ski glove item numbers so it appears like the batteries and chargers are not for the karbon ski gloves.

BUT......I confirmed with both Costco and the manufacturer (BBH Group) that the extra/replacement batteries/charger as listed are in fact the ones for the Karbon heated ski gloves Costco's selling.

If you need extra batteries I'd buy them now because the manufacturer won't sell direct to the public and Costco can't guarantee stock.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Big fan of warm fingers. Just a heads up - batteries from heated mitts/gloves will interfere with avalanche transceivers. Turn mitts/gloves off while in search mode. If you are buried, the search transceiver will experience interference within ~0.5 m radius of your mitts/gloves.

Chaval claims that their gloves will not interfere.

Sponsor