• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Heated Gloves

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
My wife has Raynaud's Syndrome, which results is vasospasms of her digits (feet and hands) when exposed to cold-er temperatures. Need rec's for superwarm gloves, heated or not. Appreciate yous in advance.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the https://chavalusa.com/ heated gloves.
I've been pretty happy with them but they are the only brand I've had, so nothing to compare to. Very warm.
The plug from battery to circuit inside the cuff is a bit finicky to get properly seated -- that is my only complaint (well, and the cost ... definitely not cheap).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a diabetic, Type 1, and my MD also recently diagnosed Raynaud's, as I continue to have cold hands even with excellent glucose control.

OR Capstone gloves use two batteries per glove and put out the most heat of anything I've tried. I will use them on the highest setting, then switch out to a spare pair of batteries at lunch.

The other thing I do when it's colder is to use the shell from a pair of mittens with removable liners. I have a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mitts and the shell has some nice leather with takes the chill from the wind/air rushing by as I ski. I use different shell mittens, OR Revel in XL as a waterproof shell when it's wet (rain or 32 degree snow) to keep the gloves dry as the leather of the BD shells can get soaked. Both of these strategies makes a huge difference.

I also have a pair of Lenz 6.0 heated mittens on order, should arrive this week. I have a pair of the 4.0 but the heat doesn't extend around the fingertips like the 6.0 does. I like the Lenz batteries, they work really well on my heated socks, so I'd be thrilled if it works out with mittens as well, but for overall heat output nothing matches the OR Capstone.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I was the lucky recipient of Hestra heated gloves that didn't fit their previous owner. They are so well-made and fit so nicely that they are warmer than any mittens I've had even before I turn on the heat! They were quite expensive - well over $300 a few years back. I've never had the batteries run out, but I often ski only until around 2 pm.

A friend with severe Raynaud's has the Chaval gloves and couldn't be happier.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
The SO has the Hestra heated mittens. Never complains about her hands anymore. We usually dont ski past 2:30, at least she doesnt, on a cold day (Spring is different) and as stated above, even on "highest setting" - have not run out of juice. Spendy but short money in my mind.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One option is heated liners and then you provide the shell. Best to get a liner that is also insulated in case the battery doesn't last the day or I guess an uninsulated liner could fit inside a larger insulated glove.

The ski shop where I once worked sells Hestra heli guide gloves with removable felt liner for $200cdn and Hestra heated liners for $400cdn. None of this stuff is cheap.

Regular thin glove liners are also an option instead of or in addition to heated gloves. Wool ones are good but tend to be a bit thick. Silk liners are the thinnest and feel the best but I have done the -20*C/-2*F test with silk liner on one hand and least expensive metallic thread liner on the other hand. It takes about 20 seconds to determine that liners with metallic thread are the warmest.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
FYI all Outdoor Research makes some great heated gloves and they go on clearance at the end of the season. If you time it correctly you can get a pair for half price. You need to buy it off their website and you need to be on top of their closeout sale as when they mark things down the gloves sell out quickly. Not on sale yet so you still have time

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
62232561-E3F1-4C34-B085-954CA8613D52.jpeg

in these parts we’ve been digging the Seirus hellfire glove. Spendy if you don’t get them at a discount. Tried the Hestra and OR but as @dovski will tell you, it gets a wee bit cold here, These gloves even without the heat are exceptionally warm and leather is nice quality.

Green / low 8hrs, Yellow / medium 6hrs and Red / high 4hrs. When it’s a high of say 0, there are zipper pockets to add additional hand warmers.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
View attachment 128228

in these parts we’ve been digging the Seirus hellfire glove. Spendy if you don’t get them at a discount. Tried the Hestra and OR but as @dovski will tell you, it gets a wee bit cold here, These gloves even without the heat are exceptionally warm and leather is nice quality.

Green / low 8hrs, Yellow / medium 6hrs and Red / high 4hrs. When it’s a high of say 0, there are zipper pockets to add additional hand warmers.
Ironically when I was in Big Sky this year my hands were the only thing that did not get cold, mind you I was skiing with an older version of these expedition mittens and glove liners
This kept my hands warm even on the days where it dipped to -25. Yes I know very old school, but hey it works. On the down side these mittens are so big that you have make sure your ski poles have straps that can accommodate them, my LEKI setup did not work.

Jomo

Booting up
Skier
I have the https://chavalusa.com/ heated gloves.
I've been pretty happy with them but they are the only brand I've had, so nothing to compare to. Very warm.
The plug from battery to circuit inside the cuff is a bit finicky to get properly seated -- that is my only complaint (well, and the cost ... definitely not cheap).
I've now had three pairs of Chavals that have all broken in 1 to 1.5 seasons. The company has been so-so to deal with but can't repair them. These are getting normal use and not at all abused. I've given up on them at this point and am looking for a different solution.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My Chavals broke also in the second year; the warranty was one year. They did repair them, but the wait for the repair was unacceptable.

Find some heated gloves with the very best warranty from a highly reputable company.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Definitely mittens, not gloves. On cold Vermont days I use down mittens, glove liners, and chemical heat packs. Only thing that sometimes gets cold is my thumbs. Just pull them into the finger area to warm up while riding the lift.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I picked up some Karbon electric leather gloves from Costco. So far the only problem is keeping track of how soon the batteries will run out (different settings last longer than others).
Just curious how these have worked out for you? Specifically:
  • How are you finding battery strength? Manufacturer specs say High: 2.5Hrs Med. 3.5 hrs Low 6.0 hrs. Obviously depends on outdoor/windchill temps etc. but I am curious of your experiences.... and opinion on how long the battery would last on the Medium setting in -15C? (We'd be ok with swapping out batteries once during our hour long lunch break but swapping every 2 hrs is not going to work for us as we ski from 9:00-4:30)
  • How do you like the heating zones in the glove? Is the heat located on....or between all fingers and the thumb? Do your fingertips still get cold or is the heat located there as well? Is there heat on the back of the hand?
  • How the fit and finish?.....Any durability issues?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Manufacturer specs say High: 2.5Hrs Med. 3.5 hrs Low 6.0 hrs. Obviously depends on outdoor/windchill temps etc.
That makes me curious. I'd think the battery duration on those settings wouldn't be too affected by weather... but the weather would affect how much or often you need to use it on high vs. med or low. Just a guess though.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Even with all the warnings about poor Chaval customer service and the gloves breaking after 1 season, I pulled the trigger and they're now under the tree waiting for Santa to arrive.

I did "sneak" a look at them before wrapping. My gut reaction is that it's a really well-built glove and looks like it would be really warm even without a heating system. The leather is high quality, but it is a bit bulky, so the finger dexterity is going to be a challenge without removing them.

The heating system connection is kinda kludgy, but livable. The one-button control has no specific heat level settings. Instead it's a thermostatic system that's preset to some unknown temp and it takes into account the warmth of your hands and the outside air temp to decide on the amount of heat to put out. It sounds good in theory, but obviously makes it impossible to manage the battery life by using a lower setting (all you can do is turn them off).

I'll report back once I get some time with them on the mountain.

Sponsor

Staff online