• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Heading to Utah this weekend for 7 days. Need advice on where to ski.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate it. My son and I are soooooooo excited!

Bill

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
FYI, I might want to get some boot work while I'm out there. Are there any reputable on-mountain boot fitters at Snowbird? Thanks.

Bill

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@Captain Furious My specs are very similar to your son's and I have the Blizzard Sheeva 9 172 (women's Rustler 9). The Rustler 9 is a solid choice unless they get a new dumping and then he way want to rent. I was just out in Aspen and skied the Sheeva 9 and it was fantastic in everything; a ski friend of mine was on hers as well and we were both very impressed with them.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Congrats on what should be an awesome trip. I just got back from 6 days skiing the Cottonwoods(3rd time there) on my Kore 93s(91mm under foot) and they worked well for everything including 3 powder days. Your son's Rustler 9s should serve him well.
The first time I went to Snowbird I stayed on the mountain and I'm going to seriously consider it for next time. Being able too eat lunch or even take a short nap in your room is great and so is not having to worry about traffic, parking and road closures. I believe the ski check is free(beside tips) if you're staying there. I went into Christy's(Snowbird tram deck) for a boot punch and they were quick and reasonable. Steve was busy so one of the young guys did it for me but I knew pretty much exactly what was needed. If I needed anything more extensive or complex I would have waited for Steve.
My favorite lunch spot is Rendezvous. They have a nice salad bar as well as more typical ski lodge fare but they were only open one day I was there and, according to locals I spoke to, staffing issues may have it pretty much closed for the season:huh:. I tried the Forklift for breakfast and they were good and pretty reasonable for being on the Tram deck.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You might luck out more than once, because I anticipate LCC to be closed a lot with this incoming series of storms.
Good for you, bad for those of us who ski Snowbasin because all those MCP passholders will reroute our way. :doh:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
From my limited experience living in the northeast mineral basin, honeycomb canyon, alta.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Capt Furious might have to change name to Capt Fortunate. Three feet coming to LCC in next three days.

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will also be there Sunday-Friday with my family and another. Staying in a condo at the Cliff Lodge. Thanks for the tips in this thread.

I am deciding on which skis and looking at the weather has me thinking Invictus 95ti vs. Black Crows Atris. Should be fun regardless. Looks like all the big snow is happening before Sunday.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
You might luck out more than once, because I anticipate LCC to be closed a lot with this incoming series of storms.
Good for you, bad for those of us who ski Snowbasin because all those MCP passholders will reroute our way. :doh:

That's exactly what I'll be doing if I can't get up the canyon roads. (Sorry!)

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's exactly what I'll be doing if I can't get up the canyon roads. (Sorry!)
I hope you have a vehicle that can make it safely. There are a lot of folks who seem to think that snow tires/4WD aren't necessary to get to Snowbasin, and they cause traffic jams by either crashing or stalling.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbird (Iron Blossom)
The time-share thing is mostly just a financing detail. It looks and acts like a hotel for non-time-share guests. The Cliff Lodge is the same way.

I'm pretty sure @KingGrump and family were in the Iron Blossom the season they spent at Snowbird.

It's going to be great.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure @KingGrump and family were in the Iron Blossom the season they spent at Snowbird.

We bunked at several different places that season.
We had a house in Sandy for 6 weeks.
Iron Blossom for a few weeks.
Slumming at the Cliff toward the end of the season.

We were also on the road for a bit - Jackson, Sun Valley and Mammoth.
It was a good season.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Wow! That sounds like an amazing experience. Hoping for good skiing as it looks like the winds are due to die down for the whole week we're going to be there. Big winds closed down most of the mountain yesterday. Last of the storm snowfall rolls in Saturday night, which is when we land in SLC. My son and I are soooooooo excited!

Bill

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend of mine who lives in SLC suggested we use Uber/Lyft Ski to get to Snowbird from the airport. Any beta on those services?

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'll be at Snowbasin next Thursday and Alta next Friday. Any advice on where to ski on Saturday and Sunday to avoid the crowds? Or do I just need to suck it up and embrace the ski hordes?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
i don't understand why they would suggest that.
Just use canyon transport;
The canyon transport is ideal for going to a well-known destination like SLC and Snowbird with a well-known itinerary.

The lyft/uber would be more for last-mile or immediate point-to-point that isn't a major destination hub (like you ended up at wrong liftbase or skied into a different resort and need to to get back to other lodge last minute).

I guess you can try it?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online