• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Head Monster 88

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Crazy 88's - Head Monster 88

When Head reintroduced the Monster name, I heard about it before I saw it. Thus, I was wondering what it would be. Was it going to be a name change for the older Rev series? Or, would it be more like the older Monster series of some years back? The answer was closer to the latter I guess, but this is really an entirely new ski and it is quite different than most of the other models within this category. The Monster 88 has the newer shape (wide tip and high taper) that most Head models exhibit and it has a small amount of tip rise and a conventional tail. The Monster uses the sophisticated, ‘Graphine’ construction along with metal laminates top and bottom. The ‘Graphine’ reduces the weight somewhat but this is not an ultra-light ski.

On the firm groomers at Mammoth, the first thing I noticed was that at slow speeds, the nearly conventional shape engages with just a slight movement of the ankle. There is none of the delay that is common to the skis with more tip rise and the Monster really feels almost like a carver in that regard. In my first pass down the trail, I found that the Monster has a natural tendency toward medium radius turns. I cut over to the shaded race hill where it was shady and the racers had scraped the trail down to chattery hard snow. The Monster was absolutely at home on this fairly difficult condition and as I started to pick up speed, it just kept getting better. Near the bottom of the race hill there was no one else around so I just laid out big GS arcs. The monster was the best of all the “all mountain” skis in this task as I just couldn’t shake it loose.

On my second run, I cut into an easily accessible patch of rough and choppy snow that had bumps forming in places. In the rough stuff, the monster sliced over and through the semi frozen crud with ease. In the areas that were getting bumpy, the Monster required some input from me to snake through the troughs but the high taper angle made it easier than I thought it would be on this stiff ski. Among the 88mm category, the Monster is right at the top of the heap for grip, stability and damping. In crud and rough snow, it just smooths everything out beautifully. This is a not a real floaty ski and it tends to charge through soft stuff rather than float over it. Because of this trait, my take is that the Monster is best suited for boot top powder at the most. In boot top powder, you'll be skiing down in the snow. OTH, in crud, you can comfortably handle any depth you have the skill for. In chopped up or heavy snow this thing is wellll......a Monster. I’d say this is a great ski for the skier that wants to blast around on groomers at whatever speed they have the skill for and is willing to be agressive in off trail situations. The Monster has a firm snow and high speed bias and it is stable enough that for the skier that thinks they are in between two sizes, I’d suggest the smaller in most instances.

SJ

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great review, and a hearty welcome to you, SJ!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As some here already know, I have a pair of '15-'16 M88s. How different is the Graphene build from last year's and would I notice the difference under a Piston plate?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Great review, SJ. Spot on. For the right skier, right conditions, by far my favorite in this category. I own it, and love it. 5'10", 205 lbs. Extensive race background. Not a young guy.

I do think that in this category, some men seem to visualize how they would like to ski, and where they would like to be skiing. They also think of these as potential OSQ's. Best to be honest on this one, and probably demo. Don't overbuy as a game improvement ski. If it's a good match.....the skier will love it. Among others, mine replaced some 187cm non carbon Brahmas. Much prefer the M88. Also preferred it over a MX88. {Perhaps because I am between sizes on that ski.}

I think the comments about crud, etc. are right on the money. One of the skis that I unloaded, as I found myself not skiing it was a 185cm Cochise. They are crud ski, but to me a bit of a one trick pony. No need for it, for me, with the M88's!

Thanks.

And welcome {back}!

TS
Sierrajim

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
As some here already know, I have a pair of '15-'16 M88s. How different is the Graphene build from last year's and would I notice the difference under a Piston plate?

In realityspeak..........I don't think it skis differently at all. For sure, the Graphene reduces the swing weight a bit but you'd have to go back to back to (maybe) notice it. This is probably not a situation where you'd go out on the new one and say "awwwwww snap!!! I wish I had this one."

TS
Sierrajim

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
I do think that in this category, some men seem to visualize how they would like to ski, and where they would like to be skiing. Don't overbuy as a game improvement ski. If it's a good match.....the skier will love it. Among others, mine replaced some 187cm non carbon Brahmas. Much prefer the M88. Also preferred it over a MX88. {Perhaps because I am between sizes on that ski.}

And welcome {back}!

I also prefer this muchly over the Brahma that I owned briefly. You're also 100% right about game improvement (depending upon what one wants to improve upon). Soft snow and bumps?.......not gonna help ya. But for groomer zooming or crud blasting it just might depending upon what you are comparing it against.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Muleski, what length are you skiing, if you don't mind a near-200 pound guys asking?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sure, 184cm

I tend to ski most of my skis in the longer/longest size and in recent years it has become clear to me that some skis in longer size slots simply don't ski as well {for me} as they ski for others in a slot shorter. Like they were designed for a certain length and the magic didn't translate longer. In some skis it does. This seems to be one that works.

For example: 188cm MX88 vs 178cm. 184cm FA 84 EDT vs 176cm. I think the Head i.Speed skis much better for me in a 180cm than a 185cm, though. Was never in love with a 187cm Brahma.

The Monster88 that I first skied a year ago was a 177cm, for a day, and I could make it work, but the ski just does everything better for me in the 184cm, which I was able to ski back to back with the shorter length. I have a good friend who is about 5'6" and 150ish who skis the 177cm. He tends to charge pretty hard. Loves it. I think they hit it right on both lengths with this one.

On the flip side I know guys who wish that Head would make the Monsters in a 191cm, with even more beef to it, and can't understand why they don't. Not me! BTW, I presume it's a lack of customers.....

But yep, 184cm.

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Sold my Stockli Stormrider 95s and my Rossi Soul 7s after trying the Head Monster 88s. Turn initiation seems easier no matter what I'm on. They track great although I have been on skis that "pop" more on groomers, these are fun on a freshly groomed run. Even in light mid-deep (6-9") crud, they outperform the Soul 7s. 5'8" and 170lbs even. Skiing the 170's with Attack 13 bindings. They do well slow, they do well fast...real fast. Love these things. They're good enough that I don't feel the need to run out and get the Renouns you guys all have me drooling over.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone try next years head monster 88. I heard they’re changing it AGAIN.

Yea, @Philpug skied it and commented on it. A few others here did too.

I am going to ski my 2016-2017 Monster 88's till they fall apart! And when they do I am going to just find another pair from the same vintage.

Sponsor

Staff online