• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GS vs SG ski construction

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
I'm curious what the real difference, besides length, that make an SG ski much different than a GS, if they are much different at all? Dimensions seem to be fairly close and obviously the length for SG provides the increase in stability. How similar (or different) are the weights, flex, plates and/or construction??

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
SG usually has a softer tip/tail profile vs. a similar length/radius GS ski.

May daughter is starting to train SG and her coaches and we were advised to buy a proper SG ski and not have her on a long GS ski with similar radius. The softer tip/tail profile will be better for proper SG technical development vs. the GS which is purpose built for a bigger/stronger athlete with different turn shape despite the similar spec.

Plate is the same for the most part. For Rossi it’s the R22 plate now on all their FIS or adult construction skis.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@hbear for Rossi, at least WC stuff, plates are not same, neither are bindings. SG ski is some 5mm thicker then GS ski, and that means plates need to be thinner then with GS if you want to be inside FIS regulations. Shape is same but thickness is different. Not to mention all speed skis have plastic plates, while for GS some are still on alu plates,even with Rossi.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got it thanks.
I'm just looking at what we see in the tech manual for my daughter. All her bigger (non-jr) skis have the same R22 plate. Granted we are nowhere near the max height for her so not a concern but good that you pointed it out. I know there are still some alu plates, but I have not seen them around here, just the ordinary plastic ones for us mortals!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Officially Rossi plates are all plastic and those alu plates are custom Rossi WC stuff. But when it comes to plates, Rossi is not that strict for their top tier racers as some other companies and their top racers can use some other plates if they want (not so much freedom for lower ranked ones), but most of them are on Rossi stuff nevertheless (majority on plastic anyway). I'm not reference anyway, but for me alu is worse then plastic. Skis feel too agressive, not to mention it adds another half kilo or so, so skis become super heavy, like they wouldn't be heavy enough already :D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
From what I understand the aluminum plates are used on SL skis with plastic being preferred for other disciplines.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm curious what the real difference, besides length, that make an SG ski much different than a GS, if they are much different at all? Dimensions seem to be fairly close and obviously the length for SG provides the increase in stability. How similar (or different) are the weights, flex, plates and/or construction??

If we are talking adult FIS GS/SG, the sidecut is obviously also different. Min 30 metres for GS vs 40/45 for Women/Men SG. SG ski is stiffer (to handle higher speeds) and while a GS ski can be a nice tourist ski, if you have the hill and the will, a SG ski is virtually unskiable unless you can close down a piste from the public. They both have narrow envelopes—voll gas. Construction on all race skis basically the same but flex patterns and stiffness varies due to exactly what is put in and how much is used (wood, metal, glue, fibreglass....). Then as Primoz and hbear talked about, plates and bindings has a big impact on the feel and performance of the ski. When you buy ”normal” FIS GS or SG skis in a race shop or order for a club (not race room products) it is normally the same plates/bindings on GS and SG skis inme. Standardized.

Last edited:
TS
D

dropd9

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for the info...yes I was just curious how they compare/differ.

Sponsor

Staff online