• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Green appliances are back!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My grandfather actually bought it for the cottage that became our house. It came with us to the city but the house we moved to already had a fridge..so it became a beer fridge. It then moved to the retirement house for my folks which became the new cottage and it's still running in the garage up there all these years later. It's practically silent but yeah..it's probably not very energy efficient! Still has my bicycle safety sticker on it from like 1977...I believe it came in a box of Sugar Crisp....
This just proves that I need to get my eyes checked. I heard beer fridge and my mind and eyes must have been working against me. I thought you said college and not cottage. It is tuff getting old. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Those colors are fine. Better than fingerprint diseased stainless steel and black.

I collect watches, and green has been the "hot" color for a couple of years... I wonder if color poularity spreads across multiple goods like that? Like is green getting popular for paint or carpet? Or phones and tablets? Or bikes or skis?
Heh just got a green watch. Haven’t worn one in years. Last watch in color I bought was an orange dial Swatch. Might have been last century.
01D9BDAE-499C-4D9F-9CA4-2645831BA383.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Those colors are fine. Better than fingerprint diseased stainless steel and black.

Heh just got a green watch. Haven’t worn one in years. Last watch in color I bought was an orange dial Swatch. Might have been last century.
View attachment 131127
An aluminum watch too, rather than steel? There aren't too many of those... Is it light weight?

James

Out There
Instructor
An aluminum watch too, rather than steel? There aren't too many of those... Is it light weight?
I know, right? We shall see. Should warm up nicely. Seems to me there was at least one very expensive aluminum watch.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know, right? We shall see. Should warm up nicely. Seems to me there was at least one very expensive aluminum watch.
Hamilton and Bvlgari have made watches in aluminum, the Hamilton around $600 and the Bvlgari around $4000. Those are a lot of money, but not considered particularly expensive in the wide-world of mechanical watches. There have probably been others, but those are the ones I know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hamilton and Bvlgari have made watches in aluminum, the Hamilton around $600 and the Bvlgari around $4000. Those are a lot of money, but not considered particularly expensive in the wide-world of mechanical watches. There have probably been others, but those are the ones I know.
Right, the Bulgari. Seems they’ve come out with another line of them last year.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Reminds me of this 1974, orange BMW 2002. I painted one of them once. Was painting the neighbor's house white with oil-based paint while I was in college. Who says an airless sprayer has no overspray?
1618277653616.png

Cost me twice as much to have the car repainted as I made from painting the house. . .

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Reminds me of this 1974, orange BMW 2002. I painted one of them once. Was painting the neighbor's house white with oil-based paint while I was in college. Who says an airless sprayer has no overspray?

Cost me twice as much to have the car repainted than I made from painting the house. . .
:roflmao: Shi....spray happens... :ogbiggrin:

Uncle-A

Skier
View attachment 131148
Cost me twice as much to have the car repainted as I made from painting the house. . .
Did you get that orange peel look from the airless sprayer?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I would normally prefer a BRG/Biscuit combination, this Jaguar XKE is stunning.

1965_jaguar_xke_coupe_161704361059dbffaDSC_0717.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
While I would normally prefer a BRG/Biscuit combination, this Jaguar XKE is stunning.

1965_jaguar_xke_coupe_161704361059dbffaDSC_0717.jpg

That is interesting, I would have expected the British Leland Racing Green.

Uncle-A

Skier
OFC, they weren't Leyland in '65. ;)
Yes they didn't pick up the Leyland until 1968 but they were making cars before that time under a different name. A guy I worked with had AH 3000 in the dark green and it was very cool.

Uncle-A

Skier

View attachment 131127
I will see your watch and raise with this one of mine. Also green but was told it was an Aviation watch based on the minutes being the main set of numbers. I liked it for the nylon band and use it when I go fishing.
PXL_20210413_162907824.jpg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. ^ @dbostedo , brand?
I believe American Aviator is the brand.

It's a "fleiger" style watch, which is a pilot style, popularized by the Germans in the early 20th century. There were a handful of brands that made them for the luftwaffe (Laco, Lang & Sohne, IWC, Stowa, and Wempe), and some people try to collect originals from each brand ($$$).

James

Out There
Instructor
I believe American Aviator is the brand.

It's a "fleiger" style watch, which is a pilot style, popularized by the Germans in the early 20th century. There were a handful of brands that made them for the luftwaffe (Laco, Lang & Sohne, IWC, Stowa, and Wempe), and some people try to collect originals from each brand ($$$).
I almost bought a Fortis watch like 20 years ago. At the time you could get one for about $450 as I recall. Maybe even 350. Bell&Ross was expensive but Fortis had some less expensive stuff. Maybe in the US nobody wanted them at the time because they made Cosmonaut watches.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will see your watch and raise with this one of mine. Also green but was told it was an Aviation watch based on the minutes being the main set of numbers. I liked it for the nylon band and use it when I go fishing.
View attachment 131181
My watch band.
82B64BD0-3191-46DC-8C0C-6480A62985CF.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online