• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't really see that as segmentation. This is going to sound cutesy, but I call it reversion-to-type from pre-gravel-hype.

Thus:

Touring bike customer ->add "gravel" -> bikepacking bike customer.

Endurance road customer -> add "gravel" -> All road bike customer.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Funny. Last year my LBS tried to sell me a Specialized Diverge as the only bike you'll ever need again. Claiming gravel bikes were invented to solve the N+1 problem. Cynical me is reading that article and thinking they all sold so many bikes as the "perfect all-rounder" that they're now hurting for sales and need to diversify the lineup again, to you know, keep selling bikes. For me, you'll pry my Crux out of my cold dead hands. Wish the broadening range of gravel options wasn't crowding the purpose-built cyclocross racers out of the market.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It's interesting too to look at gravel tires. That pretty much sums up your market segregation right there. Some of them I'm like why not just get a mountain bike?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Depending where you live a gravel bike can be a great primary road option. Around me the roads are dirt unless your on a main route. I don’t generally ride the main routes where the speed limit is 55mph, I prefer less traveled roads. Now when I lived in Denver with the great canyons & bike paths a traditional road bike would be more appropriate.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
It's interesting too to look at gravel tires. That pretty much sums up your market segregation right there. Some of them I'm like why not just get a mountain bike?
I must admit to being tempted to fill a " gap" in my quiver by adding a 650b gravel bike with wider tyres than my current 700 by 40 Merida for the times when the dirt roads haven't seen a grader for a while but then I usually ride my xc duallie. If the dirt is buff I like my Stevens Prestige CX bike which is the fastest option....first-world problem I know! Strangely enough, I have no desire for a fully rigid MTB!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my gravel bike (Checkpoint), and with a set of 28c slicks and fast wheels, I'm not sure why I need any other "road" bike of any kind.

But on the rougher gravel roads in my backyard, my hardtail mtb (Procaliber) is SO much faster and funner! :D

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I love my gravel bike (Checkpoint), and with a set of 28c slicks and fast wheels, I'm not sure why I need any other "road" bike of any kind.

But on the rougher gravel roads in my backyard, my hardtail mtb (Procaliber) is SO much faster and funner! :D
Sacrilege! You must use a gravel bike on gravel!! And if it changes to pavement or single track, you much change bikes.. Noob... :eek::roflmao:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I prefer to just roll on 40’s be it dirt or pavement. I’m going no where that fast nor that important.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer to just roll on 40’s be it dirt or pavement. I’m going no where that fast nor that important.

Same!

Except.......when the rest of the group is on 28c slicks, and are 15 or more years younger than me!!!

robertmoore

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It seem cycling has become increasingly segmented. But it's not. Bicycle production companies are trying to bring in new bikes in a growing order. But in fact there are very few differences inside many types of bicycles. Gravel Bicycle has many similarities with other bikes: like: cyclocross bike, even with road, hybrid and mountain bike.

People are taking segmented positively. So, bicycle production companies doing their business.
I am a really big fan of a gravel bike. You can ask me why? I like the design and strangeness of this type of bike.

Sponsor

Staff online