• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm looking for recommendations for a GPS for my new gravel bike. I pretty much only want to use it for navigation, it has to have a fully loaded base map. The only reason I really need it at all is because the cellular service around here is so spotty that navigating with a phone can really be a problem when you are just an arrow floating on a blank screen. I think I'd prefer non-touchscreen or at least some buttons, since sweaty fingers might not work on it. I have a Magellan now, but honestly, I don't really understand how to use it.

Don't really need Strava stuff, ANT+, speed, cadence, sensors, etc., I just want a puck with a map on my handlebars that will work in the middle of nowhere.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have no real recommendations but I'd look at motorcycle or handheld hiking GPS units. They will still be relatively small but you might have a tough time finding ones that have non-touchscreen options. I really like my Wahoo Element Bolt which isn't touch screen but I don't think it has enough mapping capabilities for you.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Google Maps is getting pretty good offline with downloaded maps.

If you want a new toy, though, I saw this deal on a Garmin Edge 820 for $259:
https://www.clevertraining.com/garmin-edge-820-cycling-computer?acc=1679091c5a880faf6fb5e6087eb1b2dc

It was mentioned at the top of this review of the unit:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

Also check DC Rainmaker for other Garmin Edge reviews and look on gpsnation, gpscity, and amazon for refurbished units.

For a more versatile GPS that can be used for biking, hiking, skiing, running, swimming, or any other activity, consider an older Fenix that has basic maps and navigation that could be fallback if in absence of maps on your phone:
https://www.gpsnation.com/refurbished-garmin-fenix-3-silver.html

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I've had a couple of the Garmin Edge units. There are two new ones coming out: the Edge 530 and Edge 830. Both will contact your emergency contacts in the event of a crash. Seems useful to me.

Mike

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Look at the 820 or if you want a bigger screen look at the 1030. I’ve had good luck with the 820. The touchscreen is decent if your fingers are clean. Ive had so-so luck with gloves with touchee tips. If you want just buttons the 520+ is a solid option. I think it’s about the last option with buttons (non touch screen), but if you need to zoom in on the map it’s a PIA, that’s why I ended up with the 820. But if your in rough terrain disable the emergency call. My wife has been texted more than once on rutted trail sections.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always been a Garmin guy, but I don't use maps. It's really just a wireless device for time, distance and elevation.

That said, friends that are into this stuff tell me that Wahoo is worth checking out. Several have moved to this brand, and seem happy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I can't image trying to read that without reading glasses. I can't imagine trying to ride with reading glasses. LOL.
I do have that problem with some of the display screens on the Garmin but more so when a text message comes up on my screen. Thinking about putting some of those stick on cheaters on my sunglasses

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I can't image trying to read that without reading glasses. I can't imagine trying to ride with reading glasses. LOL.

I have RX progressive lens sunglasses (& goggles) that I ride with. The 820’s not bad to ride on the road, but the trail is a little tougher.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
So, update... I went ahead and did the opposite f what I said and got the Garmin Edge 1030. Reason being that I sold some bikes at the bike swap, and sales were 100% for in store purchase, or 70% cash. I figured I'd get something the store had in stock. The 1030 is twice as big as the other one they had so hopefully I can see it well enough while riding. I set it up last night and have looked at it some, honestly, it seems pretty opaque so far. The one thing that jumped out at me as an immediate problem is that if you zoom out very much on the map, you lose all the roads and just have forest and contours, not very good for planning or changing a route mid-ride. There are tons of apps that you can add to it, I don't know anything about them or if I need/want them.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
So, update... I went ahead and did the opposite f what I said and got the Garmin Edge 1030. Reason being that I sold some bikes at the bike swap, and sales were 100% for in store purchase, or 70% cash. I figured I'd get something the store had in stock. The 1030 is twice as big as the other one they had so hopefully I can see it well enough while riding. I set it up last night and have looked at it some, honestly, it seems pretty opaque so far. The one thing that jumped out at me as an immediate problem is that if you zoom out very much on the map, you lose all the roads and just have forest and contours, not very good for planning or changing a route mid-ride. There are tons of apps that you can add to it, I don't know anything about them or if I need/want them.

Now that you have the Garmin. If you do want to use your phone you can download maps.me and use it for routing even when there is no cell service. I used it out of the country for driving and had no problems when I didn't want to pay for data overseas.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I use maps.me as well in case I forget to download route maps from Google Maps. Plus for driving, I own an old Garmin nuvi that has lifetime updates and still does the job.

There's also a new app from my daughter's company called onX Offroad. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=onxmaps.offroad) I haven't used it. Seems to be geared more towards motorized off-road activities than biking.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

After you figure it out and use it some I’d love to hear a review as to what you think of it.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
5642C71B-349C-420C-B087-67C80475DEAD.jpeg
Got the mount for Grail + Garmin 1030. It integrates nicely but the Garmin is so close to the bar I can barely touch the buttons on the back edge. Also it does not like my gloves so I had to do a Michael Jackson yesterday.

Sponsor

Staff online