• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good tuning bench recommendation?

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
My buddy’s wife is going to surprise him with the beginnings of a tuning set up. The family skis and the youngest girl is starting to race. Figured it was time to at least start waxing the family fleet and maybe grow into touching up an edge or two.

I can set him up with an edge guide and a set of stones for now and will find him a good iron and vise. But I have no experience with the portable benches - which is what he will need/want for his garage up at the ski hill. When we bought our place it already had a tuning room built out with big bench, ski racks, etc... so I have not played with any of the benches out there.

So any advice on a good sturdy bench would be great. I will help him get started and teach him the ropes.

Thanks in advance! Off to research!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This is buyable or makeable. A collapsible saw horse with a plank or step or whatever on the top.

tmp-cam-2753239.jpg
tmp-cam-1220896668.jpg

The legs fold up. It's very stable, assuming the floor is flat.
It was half the price when I got it, but you can buy the pieces for much less at home depot.

https://www.artechski.com/artech-ski-tuning-bench/

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
My buddy’s wife is going to surprise him with the beginnings of a tuning set up. The family skis and the youngest girl is starting to race. Figured it was time to at least start waxing the family fleet and maybe grow into touching up an edge or two.

I can set him up with an edge guide and a set of stones for now and will find him a good iron and vise. But I have no experience with the portable benches - which is what he will need/want for his garage up at the ski hill. When we bought our place it already had a tuning room built out with big bench, ski racks, etc... so I have not played with any of the benches out there.

So any advice on a good sturdy bench would be great. I will help him get started and teach him the ropes.

Thanks in advance! Off to research!

https://the-raceplace.com/collections/benches-vises-acc/products/bench-of-beast?variant=27673046343

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
IMG_0363.JPG
I have been very happy following Slidewrights suggestion several years ago. I bought a very heavy duty folding sawhorse called the Stablemate made by Fulton Ind. Heavy but very stable compared to the light weight folding benches, but still portable if you are traveling by car/suv/truck. I added a 48"x 16" top with two sets of lasso vises. I also use a long roll-up rubber treadmill mat underneath. I live in a condo without a garage so I set up the bench with mat as needed inside the hallway. Sets up and folds away quickly to be stored in the hall closet. JMD

Attachments

• IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 92

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
The holmenkol bench is the gold standard

That's the one I have and it is a great bench, but, before someone gets sticker shock, they are a fair bit more expensive than most of the others and are pretty heavy. If neither of those two things concerns you, they're about as good as you can get.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
View attachment 64417 I have been very happy following Slidewrights suggestion several years ago. I bought a very heavy duty folding sawhorse called the Stablemate made by Fulton Ind. Heavy but very stable compared to the light weight folding benches, but still portable if you are traveling by car/suv/truck. I added a 48"x 16" top with two sets of lasso vises. I also use a long roll-up rubber treadmill mat underneath. I live in a condo without a garage so I set up the bench with mat as needed inside the hallway. Sets up and folds away quickly to be stored in the hall closet. JMD
Basically the one I posted is the Stablemate sawhorse with a top. Only I didn't do the work. His wife may also not want to do the work, just buy it already finished with countersunk bolt heads for the panel. The panel also has a handhold for carrying it. It depends on your frugality vs. your handiness quotient. I don't know what the savings is making it yourself.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That's the one I have and it is a great bench, but, before someone gets sticker shock, they are a fair bit more expensive than most of the others and are pretty heavy. If neither of those two things concerns you, they're about as good as you can get.

I also have the Holmenkol and echo it's great reputation. I purchased mine in an end-of-season deal, so it didn't break the bank.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you build one make sure the work height is right. When I first started tuning I used my Workmate-the height was very uncomfortable. My permanent setup is a 2 X 10 mounted at the right height for extended tuning sessions without causing any back discomfort. My portable setup is a Quiklok keyboard/utility stand-not great, but I'm not racing on the road-just touching up the edges and waxing.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I happend to come across an old section of Formica countertop with a nice little backsplash. I put a 1x8 plank across the front of it and built a bench out of 2x4’s and a nice shelf below. It’s super sturdy, holds all kinds of waxes and supplies on the shelf and cost me less than a fancy swix or brand name setup that would have no storage.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Way too much money. The BEAST bench is bullet proof, heavy duty for way less money. Have had mine for many years. Very stable and way strong.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The Beast bench is well made, and I would agree with @Jacques , pretty "bullet proof". We bought one a long time ago from Scott Holmer, when he first started having them made, and it has made a LOT of road trips over the years. However, as a regular set up, or if setting up to do some "real" race tuning, I prefer a Holmenkol. They are rock solid; each foot adjusts. Height adjusts. Arm length for vices adjust. Work top size is good. The vertical arms are great for brushes, paper towels. I use a long section of aluminum zip tied to the top for lights, and other stuff.

I got a nice deal on the Beast. Full disclosure, I bought as many Holmenkol would sell me back in the day {2002}. At $150 each, including the storage bags. I won't say how many we have in our family. Plenty. And no, none are for sale. most have had nearly daily in season use for all of those years. They are, IMO, the gold standard as @ScotsSkier noted. They pop up for sale every now and then.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Unless you need a top line folding bench, you’re better off getting a bench (or the stuff to build a bench) at Home Depot. If you are only doing side edges and waxing, 2 simple supports with friction material on top is better than a vise. You can always add a vise later if you find you need it. If you walked around a race room you ‘d find more friction benches than vides.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online