• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggle: Replacement lens or new goggle

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm finding my Oakley Air Brake dark gray lens is just getting to dark for all day winter skiing. I was planning on getting a Prizm Rose Snow lense for about $95, or something like that, but have seen Smith I/OX ChromaPop Everyday + Storm lens goggle for $140. Seems like a reasonable price. My Hi Yellow lense does have a crack where the latch closes on it, but still works.
I have read the various threads about the goggle lens and seems the ChromaPop Trivex lens are a good way to go.

Am i missing something here? seems an easy choice.
Is the Storm lens as good in low light as the older style Hi Yellow?
i may have a need for OTG in the near future, sadly.

It almost Christmas and i have a few more bucks in the pocket!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a similar dilemma, but was in Smith IOX with pre-Chromapop Blue Sensor and Ignitor lenses. Good combo for NE and Poconos. I wanted an even lower light lens for storm days and a second IOX frame, but could not find a Chromapop yellow storm lens combo on sale over the summer. The yellow version is supposed to be even better at low light than the other Storm lenses. Fast forward to my local shop's preseason sale and they talked me into the Airbrake because everyone there agreed that Chromapop was inferior to Prizm. I got the Hi Pink/Sapphire combo After a few days of flipping back and forth, I really like the Sapphire for a bluebird day, but no storm yet for the Hi Pink. The Smith's are still fine for overcast to partly sunny days. Your eyes may see it differently.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
There is no right answer. But I bought the Smith IO/X last year for my RX insert. I’ve been mostly using the Chromopop Storm & Chromopop Red Everyday and I really like both. The Storm is great in lower light/overcast conditions. I like the Everyday in overcast to medium sunny days. I bought a rose lens originally, but after using the Storm, I liked the definition of the Storm better than Rose. I also have a Green Sol-X lens, but i haven’t had a bright enough to to use it. I don’t use a yellow lens, for some reason the color gives me a headache.

If I could only have 2 lenses, the Red Everyday & Storm would be my choices. If you decide to do RX insert instead of OTG the IO/X works great.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like the chromopop yellow, but the ignitor was too light. I replaced the ignitor with chromopop everyday red on warranty. I had a big warranty credit so I got sol-x green for sunny days, but I live in the east so I haven’t used them yet.

FWIW I/O don’t accept the RX insert, and I don’t think chromopop is Trivex.

em

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
For those curious, here’s what the SportRX insert looks like inside the IO/X:

7089F24D-6858-4ECC-A232-057E2168CDF1.jpeg
DC4138A8-DF07-469A-B4C5-0D91093291CB.jpeg
5C553530-10F1-48CF-B62E-E1DA17D68FCA.jpeg

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I use the Smith RX inserts, which don’t work in the IOS. I never tried the Sport RX inserts.

em

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have an Oakley a-frame 2.0 ($115 two years ago) and a Giro Axis that I only grabbed as it was cheap ($50). Mrsjmills uses the same Oakley so
I will not buy another goggle without shopping for replacement lenses prior to buying and will use the lens price in making a decision.
I have been able to find reasonably priced Prizm lenses for the Oakley $40-$60 when the Oakley site is charging $95.
I bought mrsjmills the Oakley hi-yellow lens for her a-frame and will be happy to test it for her once she gets it for Christmas.
The Giro doesn’t have as many options and they sell for $95 for the Vivid.
I have been following a thread elsewhere for a no-name brand that sells for $20 on Amazon. From the users reviews I may give them s try.

TS
oldfashoned

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do see the Prizm Snow Rose is $65 at the Oakley store nearby, if their inventory is correct. Don't feel like braving the holiday crowds at one of the busiest malls in the Bay Area on a normal day! but stocking need stuffing...
I still have the I/OX in my cart and the sale last for 2 more days......
For those curious, here’s what the SportRX insert looks like inside the IO/X:

Those Sports RX inserts look very interesting. Are those single focal length?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you really like the Oakley lens (I happen to) then it’s more a question of do I get a new lens or pony up for the “next” goggle line. At some point if you have your goggles long enough the foam padding around the frame and/or strap tends to get worn out. That also factors. I love my Airbrakes (going on many years now) and a quiver of 4-5 lenses (all prizm except for hi-yellow). For now finding additional lenses is easy, at some point when it’s not I’ll be happy to pickup the “next” thing.

For the most part you can find some decent deals on lenses (often buying a blow out goggle with the lens you want is cheaper than buying a new lens alone).

Smith makes a great lens, I just happen to prefer the Oakley line. They both make good stuff.

TS
oldfashoned

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you really like the Oakley lens (I happen to) then it’s more a question of do I get a new lens or pony up for the “next” goggle line. At some point if you have your goggles long enough the foam padding around the frame and/or strap tends to get worn out. That also factors. I love my Airbrakes (going on many years now) and a quiver of 4-5 lenses (all prizm except for hi-yellow). For now finding additional lenses is easy, at some point when it’s not I’ll be happy to pickup the “next” thing.

For the most part you can find some decent deals on lenses (often buying a blow out goggle with the lens you want is cheaper than buying a new lens alone).

Smith makes a great lens, I just happen to prefer the Oakley line. They both make good stuff.

All points agreed upon.
I picked up the Prizm Snow Rose lens. My Airbrake is still going strong. It should last may more seasons barring any misfortunes. I will probably hand it off to my son when the urge arises for something new. He's stuck with all my hand me downs, and for that he gets free season passes! The saved money will now get applied to Therm-ic heated insoles

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
One thing that Smith does for those on a budget is offer some models with one Chromapop lens and one non cp lens. Get the Chromapop foggy day lens.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier

I currently have Jade, Hi-Pink, Rose and Clear lenses. Do you think the hi-yellow would add anything? Thanks.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
How are they with fogging, any issues?

The only fogging issue I had was when hiking up in knee deep snow when I was sweating pretty good. Probably wouldn't have sweat as much if I shed a layer (or if I was in better shape ).

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I currently have Jade, Hi-Pink, Rose and Clear lenses. Do you think the hi-yellow would add anything? Thanks.
I’m one that likes hi-yellow at night or in very whiteout conditions. As my eyes pick up better contrast with yellow in those conditions.

But other prefer clear at night as well so it’s personal preference. The range you have covers pretty much everything, more of a question if you like yellow tint better or not.

TS
oldfashoned

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I use the Prizm Snow Rose lens all day today. Worked really well. Where this lens impressed was when there was no direct sunlight on the snow. Terrain detail stood out. Skied until about 3:45 and the sun was really low. Definitely worth the $65. And having a new lens is always nice.

Sponsor

Staff online