• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goggle Recommendations - Over Glasses

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Yep, I'm one of those unfortunate ones that needs to wear glasses. My eyes do not tolerate contacts and the act of laser surgery just freaks me out.

I've been skiing with Smith I/O X goggles for years and they have fairly decent. I have beaten them and am ready for a new pair.

Anyone have more recement experience with the Smith I/O XL Mag or Anon M4 goggles in this use?

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you considered goggle inserts?

Review:

TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Have you considered goggle inserts?

Review:

I'm too blind, they don't make them for my prescription, unfortunately.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I'm one of those unfortunate ones that needs to wear glasses. My eyes do not tolerate contacts and the act of laser surgery just freaks me out.

I've been skiing with Smith I/O X goggles for years and they have fairly decent. I have beaten them and am ready for a new pair.

Anyone have more recement experience with the Smith I/O XL Mag or Anon M4 goggles in this use?

Thanks.
I don't have any experience with Smith or Anon but found the Zeal Portal XL to be a very nice goggle that fit my glasses quite well. I have since started using the GogglesNMore inserts. One thing I did do when I was wearing glasses under my goggles was moved to a slightly smaller/narrower frame. That helped with the fit inside the lenses.

I currently use the Giro Contour with the inserts but they do fit nicely over my glasses.

Both goggles have excellent lenses and a wide choice of lens colors for all your light needs.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Giro Contour that @Andy Mink mentions above. They work great over my glasses and are the first goggles that I've had that I feel comfortable enough to wear my glasses in all conditions. I've yet to have any fog issues even while working hard in moguls and trees. Air circulates really well through the Contours for me.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I had some Anon M2 goggles - the lenses were garbage. The coating is way too fragile - fall and get some snow on them and they are ruined. Had more wear on them in 3 days of skiing than I had on the Zeal they replaced in 10 years of use. I now have some Uvex which are decent, but getting some bubbles in the coating. I have no feedback on actually getting glasses into any of these... just stay away from Anon.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm too blind, they don't make them for my prescription, unfortunately.
I tried Goggle inserts... even with the same prescription, due to the distance away from the eyes, the result isn't right.

Plus, even with OTG goggles, you need small enough frames for the goggles to fit over the glasses.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
About fogging...helmets that have vents above the brim draw air through the goggles and greatly reduce fogging. I noticed this when I switched to a Smith helmet and almost never had to turn on the turbo-fan on the goggles. Many brands of helmets have the vents now.

Brem, I strongly suggest buying the goggles in a shop where you can try them on while you're wearing your helmet. Go on a gray day and ask if you can look through a window with several of the goggles. Different brands of lenses work best for different people's eyes. Oakley Prizm is highly regarded, and not the best for my eyes. You might love them, or not, and a try-on is valuable. Check for the fit over your glasses as well as the fit between your helmet brim and your nose. Discounted goggles that don't do the job are no bargain.

https://shop.tetongravity.com/products/further-goggles These look very interesting. They claim they fit over prescription eyewear. The Zeiss lenses might be great. Light & dark lenses come with the goggles. Easy return option, almost as good as trying on in a store. Smith Prophecy OTG with Chroma-Pop lenses (one of my favorites) is worth a look. (OTG = Over The Glasses.) Here is a pretty comprehensive listing to take to a shop: https://prolens.com/over-the-glass-otg-ski-goggles/ Dragon Lumalens is another of my favorite lenses.

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
Smith I/O Mag XL’s are the go-to in our patrol for goggles, glasses or not.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier

Thanks.
Like you, I’m too blind to have contacts or inserts. I switched from I/O X to I/O Mag XL last year. Other than changing lens is now many times easier, they perform the same. I bought a set with a sun lens and a yellow low-light lens.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Smith IO-X goggles have always worked for me... I can't see anything without my glasses and I've never been comfortable with contacts.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just stay away from Anon.

Cant agree. Been using M4 for the last 2 seasons-no problems at all. Very decent goggles. Lenses not as good as Chromapop and especially Prizm but quite nice.

That said my current favourite is Smith 4D Mag and especially their Everyday Violet and Green lenses and the Storm Yellow Flash. (green takes a bit of getting used to)

Last edited:
TS
bremmick

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
Like you, I’m too blind to have contacts or inserts. I switched from I/O X to I/O Mag XL last year. Other than changing lens is now many times easier, they perform the same. I bought a set with a sun lens and a yellow low-light lens.

I normally don't have an issue, but periodically with high exertion, my glasses lenses will start to fog up. Have you had experience with this? Or have you done things to remedy this with your glasses?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I normally don't have an issue, but periodically with high exertion, my glasses lenses will start to fog up. Have you had experience with this? Or have you done things to remedy this with your glasses?
I do get some fog on my glasses/inserts occasionally when standing in line. In that case I pull my goggles up as long as it's not snowing or otherwise moisturing (new word!). Even if I don't lift the goggles they usually clear on the lift ride. It's not perfect but it's better than not seeing at all!

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I rarely get fogging on my glasses or goggles. Mostly it’s because I cruise easy groomers so “high exertion” is foreign to me, although my lack of fitness makes up for that in spades :) Sometimes I do get some fogging when standing in line after a run if I dressed too warmly. They usually clear by the time I get to the top and definitely when I start moving. What I’ve discovered helped the most is to put glasses & goggles on inside, have a good seal to the face, and never lift the goggles once outside.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't have any experience with Smith or Anon but found the Zeal Portal XL to be a very nice goggle that fit my glasses quite well. I have since started using the GogglesNMore inserts. One thing I did do when I was wearing glasses under my goggles was moved to a slightly smaller/narrower frame. That helped with the fit inside the lenses.

I currently use the Giro Contour with the inserts but they do fit nicely over my glasses.

Both goggles have excellent lenses and a wide choice of lens colors for all your light needs.

I just bought a pair of Giro Contours (Still on sale on steep and cheap). I can attest as well they do fit glasses. I didn't buy them for that, but I'm just offering a second confirmation to Andy's comment.

Worth noting, they have a really easy change system. Not as easy as the Anon M3's but close. The M3s would not fit over glasses like these do.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You are never going to get over this issue entirely. There are lots of fiddly little things you can do to reduce the incidence of this, but adding them all up it's still reducing the problem by maybe 50 - 75%.

Sponsor

Staff online