• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glove liners?

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
For years I have endured finger tip and at the corner of the nail cracking all winter long. The lining used in the thinsulate gloves is particular troublesome. Can someone recommend inexpensive liners? I say inexpensive because I would like to have multiple pairs for the half dozen or so gloves I use. I am not sure merino wool will work? Warm yes, but I worry they might still lead to finger cracking. Suggestions?

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
I am quite sure I am sensitive to the fibers on the inside of the gloves, especially the thinsulate one. I have only worn the gloves a couple of times this fall. Mostly for yard work and already cracking has started. I thought a liner might keep the skin from being irritated? Some people itch from wool... I guess my demon is thinsulate or at least the lining they use?

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
What’s up with finger cracking? No idea why a glove liner would solve that.

These are relatively thick, but fairly cheap. Look at industrial, they’re much cheaper than ski.
Merino is not cheap.
Good suggestion but they do seem a bit thick to wear inside ski gloves. I have even considered the disposable medical type used by doctors.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I am quite sure I am sensitive to the fibers on the inside of the gloves, especially the thinsulate one. I have only worn the gloves a couple of times this fall. Mostly for yard work and already cracking has started. I thought a liner might keep the skin from being irritated? Some people itch from wool... I guess my demon is thinsulate or at least the lining they use?
If you are being irritated by fabric, then you need to be very particular about what fabric the liner is, rather than starting with cost as a criteria. If you're using the clothes for skiing, I'd suggest starting with a natural fiber that works well in cold: wool. Smartwool makes a thin merino wool liner (and some that are thicker). if that doesn't work, perhaps silk is an option.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hestra makes both silk and polyester liners. No experience with them as I prefer merino but their gloves/liners are high quality.

When I hear fingertip and nail cracking, I usually assume there is an issue with dry skin. Maybe the gloves are causing your hands to sweat too much? And/or the thinsulate is wicking too effectively? Climbers are always dealing with cracking fingertips because they cover their fingers in chalk. You could check out some of the hand salves made for climbers like ClimbOn or ClimbSkin. Or a cheaper option is OKeefes Working Hands.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I get something similar this time of year. I just use lots of thick hand cream. Either Body Shop or Avon. I have a big pump sitting on the bathroom vanity at home and also at the office.

I've had no issues with my gloves and I hate mitts. I usually use Swany brand stuff.

TS
capecodbeachfront

capecodbeachfront

Too Cold to Golf!
Inactive
Because it happens so soon after I start wearing the gloves I blame the lining but it could be seasonal dryness? . BTW I designate separate pairs for different activities. Skiing, snow clearing, snowshoeing, normal winter walking, etc. I am always carefuI not to get gasoline on my best ski gloves, etc. I admit not the highest end gloves, but not the $10 specials either. Just putting my golf clubs away this weekend when an idea hit me. I may try a pair of my unused golf gloves as liners. They are thin and fit snug so it might work. Should at least tell me if the problem is irritation from the lining, over wicking, or just seasonal dryness. I may try a sample size of one of the salves as well. Early in the season so it would be great to come up with a solution early.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Running gloves are cheap and nylon/lycra based. Alternately I've used those stretch touchscreen gloves that are available for $1-2 when I've forgotten liners.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Best remedy for cracking fingertips: Apply a bit of Vaseline to the crack and cover with a band-aid. The cracking is caused by dryness; the Vaseline is an excellent moisturizer. The band-aid adds a bit of protection and insulation. This hack works as a preventative and reduces pain if the cracking has already started.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Best remedy for cracking fingertips: Apply a bit of Vaseline to the crack and cover with a band-aid. The cracking is caused by dryness; the Vaseline is an excellent moisturizer. The band-aid adds a bit of protection and insulation. This hack works as a preventative and reduces pain if the cracking has already started.
This works for me also - I use an antibiotic ointment, which is just vaseline +AB. Thorn punctures from rose pruning in the winter have a nasty habit of reacting/infecting for me and this is my solution as well.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The best thing about liners is how much warmer your hands stay when you need to do “gloves off” stuff where you need extra dexterity. Boots in the parking lot, phone, snacks, etc.

James

Out There
Instructor
You could try this stuff, then put on some thin cotton liners. Easier to wash the liners than the glove.
IMG_1454.jpeg

They have fancier versions too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bag balm is pretty good. We use that when weather gets warmer.
Full on winter, we preferred A&D ointment over Vaseline. A&D get absorbed into the hands/feet after a while. Vaseline has a tendency to stay greasy.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Adding, Bag Balm supposedly makes the skin softer, rather than tougher, so I'm not so sure about it in the long run. A lot of people love it.

A&D is a super super product. There is also Warm Skin which is like a slightly mellower A&D. Really good stuff.

All of these are hard to wash out.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And therein lies the hidden danger! Never, ever, engage in any serious manual dexterity work with wet wet hands that were previously greased up. The carnage will be massive. ogwink

Sponsor