• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have a friend who's son is in a competition in February at Mammoth. She needs to get both of them from Ottawa. Right now it's looking like Ottawa, Toronto to LA. Drive up.

What is drive like from Reno? She's concerned about mountain passes and a rental vehicle. So any thoughts?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Super easy drive from LA but longer Went to mammoth every month for years and only 1 time did I hit weather in bishop just before mammoth. Easy, easy drive with cute little towns to stop in. Theres an airport in mammoth but I've never used it.

Weather coming down from Reno can be an issue making the drive ugly but others can elaborate on that. It is a shorter drive than LA.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there is a small airport in Mammoth Lakes, but I'm not sure if operates continuously. Our club was going to fly in and out of there , but switched to LAX. Its a 5hr ride from there .

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I've driven from Reno several times. Basically, it's either really easy or it's chain laws in effect. It's actually quite flat (mostly in valley on east side of Sierras), only a little hilly coming into Mono Lake/June Lake/Mammoth. It's only about 3 hrs from Reno, which is better than LA.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, the drive from LA is more reliable than from Reno. Although traffic within the LA area is often a nightmare. Mammoth Yosemite Airport is very convenient and I've heard it rarely shuts down (although someone might have more current info). It's almost certainly going to cost more, but they can certainly fly in there then skip the rental car entirely. It's a double-connection from Ottawa, or driving to Montreal or Toronto for a one-stop (either is a shorter--but less scenic--drive than LA-Mammoth).

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
I can tell you she know nothing, nothing about chains. So I'll suggest either straight into Mammoth or at least to LAX.

Thanks everyone!!

So look for a Canadian - at the slopestyle event!!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are ways to get to Mammoth from Reno without taking 395 but it becomes as long as coming up from LA. I'd definitely check the flight into Mammoth first and weigh the cost against the cost and time of renting a car and driving from LA.

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
If you can fly into Burbank instead of LAX in LA it might save an hour.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You can't get to Mammoth from Ottowa....you gotta go somewhere else first. ;)

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sigalert on the 405 this afternoon. 50 minutes over the Sepulveda pass. That's not many miles (or kilometers) and it might be an hour from LAX to get to the traffic jam. LA driving is hell. All afternoon and evening. Burbank would help. Ontario or Palm Springs? Check flights to those if the connections aren't horrible. LAX in the middle of the night would be fine too.

I'd rather do the drive from Reno. Buy chains from the walmart one exit north of Reno airport. You probably won't need them but it's cheap insurance. Even with chains your drive will be quicker. The Reno flight might be the issue.

Drive the speed limit on 395! Especially in the little town speed traps.

Good luck. What's his name so we can root for him? And let us know if it's televised. And keep us posted on his results.

Eric

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Last time I was in Reno, chains came with the car! But that was a loooong time ago. Pretty sure she wouldn't know how to change a tire, let alone put chains on.

Yeah...Ottawa to anywhere usually involves a change. Last trip from Reno.. Reno to Fresno, to Dallas to Toronto to Ottawa. Had my luggage in Toronto, not in Ottawa.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Las Vegas is an option too but I've never done it. Getting to mammoth is a pain

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
If she has to transfer anyway she might look into flying into Ontario, California. It's a smaller, regional, but still sizable airport. The traffic going north on Interstate 15 to 395 would be way better than going north on Interstate 5 to 14 to 395.

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
This is good intell so far. I know she is trying to keep transfers to a minimum. Son needs he's skis to compete. And more transfers, more chances of them not coming with him.

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
Fly into Ontario, Ca. if possible and rent a all wheel drive car if possible so you won't have to worry about chains. Do the same if she has to fly to LA, but try to land as close to noon as possible to avoid LA traffic.

Sponsor

Staff online