• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Get your insoles from a Pro, I did not and am paying the price

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
Mine is a tale of caution for those whom are trying to do their own boot fitting. First of all, my boots where not terrible, rather they are pretty damn good, but in an attempt to make them better I put in some insoles that looked great in construction, and by appearance seemed as though an obvious improvement. I took the time to properly buckle up and see if I could identify hot spots and other fitment issues. This was done on one boot, because the other is at a shop while I get my new LOOK binding installed. The only discomfort I felt was new and on the outside edge of my heal. It was clearly caused by the insole, which had me scratching my head, especially because the discomfort did not subside with the removal of the boot, but rather was felt like a ghost pressure, so to speak, until I went to bed. Roughly a week later I repeated the process to see if the problem was duplicated, and if I could figure it out. Again the pressure point left a lingering discomfort and I decided to ditch the insole insert.
A couple days after that I felt a sharp pain in this same area , and at first made no connection to my boot fitting. I iced and went to bed. When I woke up I could hardly walk. Unable to work, as I stand for 10 hour shifts as a machine operator on concrete floors, I went to my Orthopedic doctor who put me in an air cast for 3 weeks with PT twice a week. With all that said, I do not believe the insole is the root cause, which is most likely my work, but my doctor did say that I am right , suggesting the insole insert reacted against a weakened tendon.
So that is my word to the wise. I will be devastated if I can not get this injury to heal in a month, because I bought new skis this year and was planning on hitting the slopes more than in any previous year. I am certainly not going to take any chances, so I am either going back to the stock Tecnica insoles, which have basically no support features, or find the best boot fitter in my region. Does anyone have grade A recommendations for someone living in New Hampshire?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Adam Grenier at Sport Thoma in north Lincoln, NH, is a great guy. Call the shop to make an appointment with him before he gets booked up with all the race kids.

Last edited:
TS
Clemson

Clemson

Putting on skis
Skier
Last edited:

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
It’s amazing how one thing can bring to the surface something you weren’t aware of. I wonder if the root cause is standing on cement floors for so long each day. My daughter works ten hour shifts standing on tile floors as a pharmacy tech and it kills her feet. Maybe something can be done for that; mats on the floor or inserts in your boots/shoes. All speculation on my part.

@LiquidFeet recommendation is a good one. I’ve heard great things of that shop but have never been there. It’s good he’s a CPed as your need is beyond fit and comfort. You might need a special insole for work as well.

If you can’t get on his schedule, my preference is Bill Haight at GMOL in VT at Stratton. CPed as well. I believe there’s another one in the Plymouth area that is also a CPed. Can’t remember his name but it’s something like Richolsen.

To get on a good bootfitters schedule, you have to be early and persistent, almost to stalker level. Don’t be surprised if your call or email isn’t returned. The good ones are that busy.

Ken

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you really want insoles find by a pro, go to a podiatrist that will make you soft insoles.

Sponsor