• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear for days you need to swim down the hill

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Yesterday was not raining but oh so close to it. The area has us in Helly-Hanson "pro series" shells. They seem to work pretty well.
Need to do something about the old Mamoot soft shell pants though, they are getting a bit leaky around the butt from the chair. Bought some new Gerry pants this year, not the answer!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
The weak point for rain skiing for me has always been gloves; once my hands get soaked, I'm done. The rest of me has stayed "dry enough" with normal ski jacket / pants.

I bought a pair of these (or something like them) for the New England Gathering a few years back when rain was in the forecast. Insulated, rubberized -- they worked great.

Edit: Updated glove link: https://www.galeton.com/polar-flex-insulated-pvc-gloves/7220-product/

Last edited:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied in the rain several times when I was growing up in the PNW. Skied till I was soaked, went back to the bus and shivered until everybody showed up and then went home early. Never again.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been caught in the rain while away on a trip. Cant sit in the hotel!! Down to the hardware store and pick up some tyvek suits. They last about a day, but for $4 bucks its cheap.

white-green-mountain-products-disposable-coveralls-1429-64_1000.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
On outdoor hiking and backpacking web boards there has always been considerable discussions of rain proof clothing and gear. There are always some less experienced enthusiasts that claim what they use works, however there is a difference between minor storms and heavy wind driven rain, especially with tents as wicking draws water in with tiniest pin holes or thread loosened seams.

Most breathable fabric skiing gear though labeled waterproof is not expected to be as waterproof in really wet weather. There doesn't need to be waterproofness at that level because most experienced snow enthusiasts have already had enough wet condition days to learn to avoid doing so. Although it is true one can ski to some extent with the right skis and wax, it tends to be treacherous liable to cause injuries due to easily catching an edge on groomed or skier tracked snow or ending up submarining in softer snow. If one works at a resort and must be out during such days, a solidly waterproof outer suit is well advised.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Musto make some pretty bombproof gear for offshore racing, eg https://www.musto.com.au/products/hpx-gore-tex-ocean-jacket , but I fancy it would be too heavy and stiff for skiing.

TBH, when it is that wet that my Arc’teryx Alpha SV is not keeping me dry, then time to call it quits. I also hate the feeling of water running down my face when I tilt my helmet forward (when it is raining).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tru story bro..
1609707879871.png

Sailing gear is good but be prepared for the pant cuffs to be destroyed by your ski edges.. If you throw your skis over the shoulder to carry them, oops, cuts there too.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For gloves, the well liked Showa Temres gloves now also come in a cuffed black version, instead of just the previous, open ended smurf blue version
For $19, grab 2 pairs and swap halfway through the day:

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never windsurf in a lightening storm
Been there, done that: a race in summer 1982 on the Great Sound in Bermuda - a thunderstorm came through and we all dropped the sails and sat on our boards - but I remember feeling the tingling of lightening strikes through the sea water. No need for the waterproof gear though - water was 85-90F!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been there, done that: a race in summer 1982 on the Great Sound in Bermuda - a thunderstorm came through and we all dropped the sails and sat on our boards - but I remember feeling the tingling of lightening strikes through the sea water. No need for the waterproof gear though - water was 85-90F!
:geek: Is what I’ll have to settle for sake of a crisp slightly smoking smileyogwink

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We had a river running thought the demo area. It was miserable.
23244E22-D4D4-4EC1-B202-8D7F43F54468_1_201_a.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
For gloves, the well liked Showa Temres gloves now also come in a cuffed black version, instead of just the previous, open ended smurf blue version
For $19, grab 2 pairs and swap halfway through the day:

Years ago I purchased a pair of Obermeyer water proof gloves. They were very pricey even with my employee discount. I still use them and they have lasted all these years. It turns out that they are made of three layers, leather on the outside, cloth on the inside and in the middle is a thin plastic glove like the cloves we are using today as protection from the virus. They do keep my hands dry, but now when I purchase gloves I don't purchase expensive gloves, I just buy inexpensive gloves and use the plastic gloves underneath, and my hands stay dry.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I can get by with the soaked through gloves and even wet panties. But when your feet get wet in the ski boots I'm out.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
motorcycle rain gear is pretty good too....
We've got a rain suit for the bike. Again though, ski edges would destroy the cuffs and anyplace else the skis bump against carrying them or whatever. Expensive coverage for one session skiing in the rain.

Sponsor

Staff online