• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

G3 Ion queery

Simon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Has anyone else with the G3 Ion bindings been worried about how much lateral heel movement there is or is it just me? With the boot in ski mode it's very easy to shift my heel from side to side and the heel unit swivels with it. Is that normal or should I be concerned?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got some being shipped to me, so I haven't used them yet. But to address your problem (without having any hands-on experience) what do you have the DIN set at?

TS
S

Simon

Skier
Hi, I'm very light so have the Din set at 6. That's an interesting thought though. I'll try setting it high and see if there's a difference, Thanks!

TS
S

Simon

Skier
I've got some being shipped to me, so I haven't used them yet. But to address your problem (without having any hands-on experience) what do you have the DIN set at?
Hi, I'm very light so have the Din set at 6. That's an interesting thought though. I'll try setting it high and see if there's a difference, Thanks!
You were quite right. It did stiffen up a lot when I cranked it up to 10 although there is still some movement. I'm now wondering if it's a suitable binding for such a lightweight as myself (64kg)

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You were quite right. It did stiffen up a lot when I cranked it up to 10 although there is still some movement. I'm now wondering if it's a suitable binding for such a lightweight as myself (64kg)
Well, it shouldn't rotate much, if at all. I was thinking maybe the DIN was backed way off, but if I were you I'd take them into a shop to have them checked.

That said, the Ion is designed to have some elasticity. Without eyes-on, I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is a feature or a failure. But there's a thread dedicated to the Ion in TGR's Tech Talk forum that I've been following, and I didn't see any mention of your issue.

Do you have the Ion that goes to DIN 12? I'm a lightweight and I'm getting the 10 DIN ones. Just a thought.

TS
S

Simon

Skier
Well, it shouldn't rotate much, if at all. I was thinking maybe the DIN was backed way off, but if I were you I'd take them into a shop to have them checked.

That said, the Ion is designed to have some elasticity. Without eyes-on, I'm not sure if what you're experiencing is a feature or a failure. But there's a thread dedicated to the Ion in TGR's Tech Talk forum that I've been following, and I didn't see any mention of your issue.

Do you have the Ion that goes to DIN 12? I'm a lightweight and I'm getting the 10 DIN ones. Just a thought.
I was guided into buying the Ion 12 by the guy in the ski shop in Chamonix and he conveniently forget to mention that there was a 10 Din option (obviously didn't have it in stock). I'm certainly no expert but I'm pretty sure that the movement in the heel (which is a lot) can't be good. I'll check out that other forum you mentioned. Thanks.

TS
S

Simon

Skier
I was guided into buying the Ion 12 by the guy in the ski shop in Chamonix and he conveniently forget to mention that there was a 10 Din option (obviously didn't have it in stock). I'm certainly no expert but I'm pretty sure that the movement in the heel (which is a lot) can't be good. I'll check out that other forum you mentioned. Thanks.
P.S I'm back in the UK now so could be tricky to sort out.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
Is there space between the heelpiece and the boot heel? The mount is different than older dynafits, which have a gap.

TS
S

Simon

Skier
Is there space between the heelpiece and the boot heel? The mount is different than older dynafits, which have a gap.
Funny you should say that. The shop did set the binding with a gap but I changed it to no gap having read up about it. It still has a lot of lateral "give" though. I think the Ion 12 just isn't really suited to having the Din at the bottom end of the scale. How much it actually matters when I'm skiing I'm not sure but it just doesn't seem ideal, in theory anyway

Dan Boisvert

Booting up
Skier
I haven't noticed an issue with mine, but I think I also ski them at around a 9. They ski great, aside from the tooth-rattling vibration transmission you get when you test them on icy groomers and bulletproof bumps.

Sponsor

Staff online