• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Full Zip or 1/4 Zip Midlayer?

ML9016

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Looking to upgrade my layering game.

I ski in an insulated jacket.

Was looking at the Patagonia R1 and R2 pullover/jackets, the Arcteryx Kyanite line, open to other suggestions here as well!

I've always used 1/4 zip fleeces but was curious what all you good people here prefer and why?

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Was looking at the Patagonia R1 and R2 pullover/jackets, the Arcteryx Kyanite line, open to other suggestions here as well!

I've always used 1/4 zip fleeces but was curious what all you good people here prefer and why?

R2 may be a bit of overkill under an insulated jacket, depending on how cold it is of course.
R1 is very good.

Look at Mons Royale merino midlayers-very good.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I prefer the quarter zip/crew neck for lighter weight tops that will likely be used directly against my skin. Heavier, second layers all have full zips.
Sames, although my mid layer is almost always a Patagonia nano puff, which is pretty light

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Fleece vest, a fleece full zip, 1/4 zip wind vest, .............. The list goes on. It is more about temp, wind and the forecast.

TS
M

ML9016

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
R2 may be a bit of overkill under an insulated jacket, depending on how cold it is of course.
R1 is very good.

Look at Mons Royale merino midlayers-very good.
The R2 isn't the same thing as the R1 but full zip?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
R2 is a heavier weight fabric compared to R1. Don’t think they make an R2 pullover anymore. I just wear R1s under a shell when it’s on the warmer side (into the 20s). My personal preference is the 1/4 zips but that’s just my preference.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Which Mons Royale model do you recommend ?

I am presently skiing in Approach-under insulated jacket when it is cold or under a shell when it is warm. It is very nice.
Guess you can find similar merino midlayers from many other brands as well.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier

For synthetic fleeces, I usually buy full zip, for no apparent reason really.

The Amazon basics synthetic fleece is actually pretty thick and toasty and very inexpensive

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*shrug* all depends on the stretch and fit

Something like Polartec Alpha simply doesn't have stretch so of course you go full zip unless you want a tent.

Something like Patagonia R3 is too heavy to stretch so of course you go full zip even if you do want a tent fit.

Windblocker fleece - needs full zip. Hardface fleece - again does better with full.

1/4 zip is really the domain of wovens and light stretchy insulation - so light that some of us are using them as N2S layers in 2 layer or 3 layer systems. At which point I'd honestly rather get rid of the 1/4 zip and have a low collar fleece/woven shirt and use a neck gaiter when needed.

dwoovre

Booting up
Skier
1/4 zip is really the domain of wovens and light stretchy insulation - so light that some of us are using them as N2S layers in 2 layer or 3 layer systems. At which point I'd honestly rather get rid of the 1/4 zip and have a low collar fleece/woven shirt and use a neck gaiter when needed.

I agree with this!

When multiple layers are involved, having a collar on each layer is total overkill.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier

Patagonia R2 full zip for cold weather, Rab Nexus full zip when warmer. Easier to take off and put on a full zip

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My Kyanite are full zip hoodies, my R1 is a 1/4 zip.

If you feel you will often shed this layer, full zip is easier . If you rarely overheat then you may prefer the feel of less zippers.

I predominantly wear a sturdy hardshell jacket with layers and only switch the shell for the insulated jacket in single digits (F) and below. With the insulated jacket all layers below apply. My most day layers (do change in the spring):
1) Wool base layer
2) Kyanite or R1
3) Puffy of choice depending on temps, warmer temps to colder: Patagonian Nano—>Stio Pinion or The North Face Summit Series—>Himali Accelerator

Engines obviously vary - my Mr would melt wearing what I do, and I would freeze wearing what he does!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally hate full zipper under layers. Too clunky/stiff/bulky feeling. But heck, I can't stand internal tags on clothing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ski mostly in quarterzips of late but I do miss the logo'ed turtlenecks of years past.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I need to find me a good turtleneck -> I guess they became un-cool -> maybe we can make them cool again.

Perhaps some SkiTalk T-Neck swag with the logo embroidered on it ? :thumb:
Heavens forbid we get a SkiTalk logo'd Dicky :ogbiggrin:

dickey.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
pink.jpg

From when Subaru was the "Official car of the U.S. Ski Team" Besides the T-neck there is nothing else in this picture to see or comment on.

Sponsor