• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

free Drinking Water near lift mazes ?

Would you appreciate having available free drinking water near some lift line mazes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
free Drinking Water near lift mazes ?

When I received one of those Vail - Heavenly feedback emails this week, one of the write in suggestions I made was for resorts to provide drinking water up on slopes at some lifts so snow enthusiasts can re-hydrate thus not need to go into day lodging or back to their vehicles to drink whatever. During normal seasons, I always thought the reason resorts did such was to increases food and beverage sales. In fact, it would be difficult to find any obvious free water at some day lodges unless one drank out of restroom faucets (yuck) or asked a bartender. An issue I have with buying water or beverages in ski lodges besides the certain jacked cost is the size of most of average drink containers is usual a few times the amount I actually need and would rather sip a small amount over a couple hours versus swallowing a bunch. This season with the pandemic, many prefer to avoid going into day lodges except for possible restroom use. And honestly, some days I am just so into skiing, will tend to avoid taking time out, taking off skis, then going wherever to get a thirsty little drink.

Another issue this season for the minority of us that choose to pull masks down while skiing down is we need to stop before entering lift mazes in order re-position our masks. So also suggested resorts set up a safe from speeding traffic small roped off stations above lift mazes where those approaching lifts could stop to adjust masks before moving close to dense others that would also have one of those common water bottle with spigots along with a supply of small paper cups and a trash can. Of course on days well below freezing, a bit of insulation around a bottle might slow the tendency to freeze. Such consumer product water dispensers and small paper cups are of course quite inexpensive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I keep a plattypuss in my jacket pocket. But, if I drink too much water I'll need to use the bathroom.. and there's no side country or private enough glades where I ski. So, a little water every 30-40 minutes is plenty to stay hydrated but not too hydrated.

It's gotta be a fountain or faucet though. NO PLASTIC BOTTLES!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Copper has done the water station at the base of American Eagle via a tent with cups and cooler thingy in the past. Doubt they are doing it this season. Most lodges I've been in offer free water with cups.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Costco can sell bottles of water for a quarter without having to buy a lift ticket. The good will factor would be huge for a ski area. Put an extra garbage can at the top of the lift and the cleanup shouldn't be too bad.
Great idea.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've always been sceptical of resorts willingness to provide or disclose they have free drinking water on the basis that clearly they prefer people buy overpriced $4 sodas or bottles of Gatorade. And that's before we get to the places that provide thimble sized (eco recycled) cups such that you need about 10 for a decent amount of water to have with your lunch or want to charge for a empty respectable sized soda cup.

Kudos to places like Steamboat that provide free lexan pint glasses (and wash them for the eco factor).

Yes it would be nice to have some water available on the slopes as part of a resort's commitment to plastic reduction etc. Don't expect it to happen though.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The bottom of Mineral Basin chairlift at Snowbird, UT would be my first nomination for a good place for a drinking water station. It's only one lift ride from there to the summit lodge to reach a water fountain, but that lift can go from no line to a 30 min line in a hurry on a busy morning. That is the sunny side of the mountain. If you get warm and thirsty over there and aren't carrying any water, there is no other option to get water except by riding a lift out. (They could also use a portapotty there too, but I don't know if any environmental restrictions?)

I actually had an incident on the Mineral Basin lift in 2009. I was hungry, thirsty, and tired. I had no water on me, but started to eat a granola bar on the chair ride up. After a couple big bites the food stuck in my throat like a mouthful of sawdust. I spit it out, but was still choking. Fortunately, my son had a nearly empty bottle of water in his pocket and gave it to me. The last few ounces helped clear my throat. I have purposefully carried a plastic bottle of water in my pocket when skiing at larger ski areas ever since.

Last edited:

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Guess I'm a real outlier here: 3-4 ounces of water in car, plus a few sips of coffee, is plenty enough to get through a full ski day. Never feel the need for more fluids until, of course, the post-ski beer.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
@SSSdave In previous years there has been self-serve water available at the top of the steps at the back of the outdoor deck area of East Peak Lodge, about 100' from Comet lift. These are the steps that lead to back entrance to indoor part of lodge where steps down to restroom are located.

Friend who I skied NV side of Heavenly with on 1/26 said that water is still available in that area, but it's no longer self-serve. It is now staffed and they do not allow you to re-use cups or re-fill you own bottle, apparently due to COVID-19. So water is available near the Heavenly lift I think you like to ski the most, but you have to take off your skis and walk a little.

The Heavenly lift where lack of water had made me leave is Mott Canyon which typically is much less crowded than Comet or Dipper. The bottom of lift and the lift ride can be warm and the runs often take enough effort that I'm very warm when I get on the lift. I usually carry a pint bottle of water, but that is not enough for very many Mott laps. But logistics of getting 5 or 10 gallons of water to the base of the lift are difficult. This year, I often have carried a juice box and can of beer in addition to the water.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guess I'm a real outlier here: 3-4 ounces of water in car, plus a few sips of coffee, is plenty enough to get through a full ski day. Never feel the need for more fluids until, of course, the post-ski beer.
I'm the same. Hydrate before and during lunch. Good for the whole day. Keep some water in the car to drink on the way home. For those coming from flatter lands though, this might not works as well.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both my son and I use these. They fit nicely in a pocket and get refilled at lunch.

James

Out There
Instructor
Doubt you see it this year unless you can figure out how to get it so it’s not pawed over by hundreds. Then the trash. They can’t even get the lifts going for lack of personnel.

Like putting the top on coffee by the server who puts hands all over where you drink. Now it needs a wipe down, discard, or pour a little hot coffee over it.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I lived in the Chicago area and traveled out west to ski I wore a Camelbak and was a serious over hydrator. It drove my wife crazy. In the morning I'd have to pee just about every run skiing off into the tree immediately after getting off the lift. My friends laughed at me. After moving out here and realizing I really didn't need to hydrate that much for skiing, it's no longer an issue. I still drink enough and still pee a few times during the ski day but it's not excessive like it was before.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
While aware some ski carrying a bunch of stuff, even bulky day packs, I refuse to add some bulky water container to my pockets including soft hydration bladders. Same reason no cell phone.
Yeah Tony, will sometimes go into the East Peak Lodge entrance to use that drinking water machine.

Last edited:

Supergaper

Slaying it gently.
Skier
In Jackson, you had pitchers and plastic glasses in Nick Wilson's at he base of the tram, chug a few between laps. Now replaced by the fancy sit down RPK 3, nearest water is in the General Store bathroom and chug from the faucet.

All moot points now because I have 3 tram rides this year, and have not set foot in the General Store.

Having a water faucet by the tram seems like a no brainer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I refuse to add some bulky water container to my pockets including soft hydration bladders. Same reason no cell phone....
And that's the resorts problem?

Sponsor

Staff online