• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JimL

Putting on skis
Skier
To the OP, you have probably already found that different brand boots fit differently, and some boots fit you better than others. The same goes for footbeds. The stock footbed is designed for some generic foot - a different generic foot depending on the brand. The reason we try on different boots is to find what fits us the best. The fact that one boot fits the top and sides of our foot, ankle and lower leg best does not necessarily mean that the same goes for the bottom. Maybe the arch is too high, or too low, or a little too forward or backward, etc., etc.

Most people benefit from a custom footbed, but not all. For example, Alberto Tomba apparently was able to use a stock Lange boot with its stock footbed. However, most racers, even if they use stock boots without any mods, get a custom footbed. Why? Because it helps them ski better!

Remember that the connection between you and your skis is your foot and ankle in your boot, and the closest point between you and the ski is the bottom of your foot. Any slop or gap there affects your ability to feel what the ski is doing, and to control the ski.

An easy way to evaluate this is to take the footbeds out of the boot, put them on a flat hard floor, and stand on them. If the stock footbed seems to support every part of your foot so that when you are standing "flat" that your weight is distributed completely evenly over the entire bottom of you foot with no pressure points or gaps, then maybe you don't need a different footbed. But for most people, that isn't the case, and a footbed is a relatively inexpensive way to improve your skiing, by giving the best possible connection between you and your skis.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
If one gets a footbed made, can it be moved to a new boot? My boots are getting on in their life so would like not to "waste" a footbed if I need to replace my boots.

James

Out There
Instructor
If one gets a footbed made, can it be moved to a new boot? My boots are getting on in their life so would like not to "waste" a footbed if I need to replace my boots.
Yes, the edges may have to be sanded down to fit in the new shell. Save the stock insole thing so they can match the outline. If it gets hung up on the shell it makes things worse.

Sponsor

Staff online