• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fog-free Option for Glasses Wearers?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
A new way to fight fog?

This European company is offering a 60-day money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied (via seniorskiing.com). The glasses are integrated into the goggles, as part of the inside lens. (It’s hard to describe.)

I’m considering these! My goggle fan keeps the goggle fog-free, but doesn’t help with my glasses.
664415DA-2127-441B-8842-14E62A590F41.jpeg

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about anyone else, but I can never get 2 pairs of glasses that look the same to my eyes. I've found I'm very senstive to the astigmatism correcting being "just right".

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I would suggest finding a goggle that fits you and your helmet well. Then getting the specefic insert for that goggle. This way if your RX changes you are just changing the insert, not the whole thing. Some of the 'cons' mentioned on their site must be from lower quality inserts.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know about anyone else, but I can never get 2 pairs of glasses that look the same to my eyes. I've found I'm very senstive to the astigmatism correcting being "just right".

I agree, but my eyes seem to adjust well to the minute differences after a minute or so.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Try this. It might work.
I use it to stop my glasses fogging up when I wear a mask. It says it lasts 24hrs but I've found that it can last a couple of days per application. NZ $20 approx
1639270357036.jpeg

TS
newboots

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Try this. It might work.
I use it to stop my glasses fogging up when I wear a mask. It says it lasts 24hrs but I've found that it can last a couple of days per application. NZ $20 approx
View attachment 151016
I have tried every anti-fog liquid, wipes, catcrap, you name it - in the ski world and beyond. And I fell for it each time.
I would suggest finding a goggle that fits you and your helmet well. Then getting the specefic insert for that goggle. This way if your RX changes you are just changing the insert, not the whole thing. Some of the 'cons' mentioned on their site must be from lower quality inserts.
I’ve heard somewhere that the inserts distort your vision due to the distance from the eyes. Anybody ever used these?

Plus, they would have the same fog potential as glasses inside of goggles.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I have tried every anti-fog liquid, wipes, catcrap, you name it - in the ski world and beyond. And I fell for it each time.

I’ve heard somewhere that the inserts distort your vision due to the distance from the eyes. Anybody ever used these?

Plus, they would have the same fog potential as glasses inside of goggles.

this is why I recomend using a RX insert company that actualy tests them in the goggle so they know the installed distances within the goggle frame to properly adjust during lens manufacturing. I happen to use the same company for my inserts, cycling glasses and regular glasses and have had good luck. below is my current setup.

Attachments

• 96ACB09F-A22B-403F-8F26-CD13C6D58E58.jpeg
    96ACB09F-A22B-403F-8F26-CD13C6D58E58.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 9
TS
newboots

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
this is why I recomend using a RX insert company that actualy tests them in the goggle so they know the installed distances within the goggle frame to properly adjust during lens manufacturing. I happen to use the same company for my inserts, cycling glasses and regular glasses and have had good luck. below is my current setup.
Those look quite similar to the ones I saw online. Are the inserts now part of the goggle lens, or separated? How to they manage fogging?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Doesn't Smith have something like that?
They do. I used these with success before I got cataract surgery and now no longer need them. They worked very well. Note that they only fit into certain Smith goggle models that have the specific tabs in the nose piece to match the hooks on the insert.

Edit: They say "sold out". I hope it's just supply chain issues and not that they have been discontinued.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Those look quite similar to the ones I saw online. Are the inserts now part of the goggle lens, or separated? How to they manage fogging?

it’s an insert (separate), not part of the goggle lens. You can still interchange lenses as desired. i have had very few fogging issues over the years with inserts. if you have a good google that flows ample air and your not over heating, well you know the drill..

TS
newboots

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Thanks, @EricG - absolutely worth looking into!

I noticed in the video they showed the insert in an Abom M4. Heated goggle lens!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Andy Mink did a review on a site sponsor @GogglesNMore Check them out.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A new way to fight fog?

This European company is offering a 60-day money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied (via seniorskiing.com). The glasses are integrated into the goggles, as part of the inside lens. (It’s hard to describe.)

I’m considering these! My goggle fan keeps the goggle fog-free, but doesn’t help with my glasses. View attachment 150950
The topic has been much discussed here over the years. I've paid a lot of attention because until last winter I was a glasses wearer for whom contacts and Lasik were not options. Basically the conclusion I've reached is that there is no one option that works for everyone. Too many variables. You just have to experiment. It's definitely frustrating and expensive.

TS
newboots

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
When I switched glasses to a smaller lens (aviator style to more modern fashion), the fogging problem got much easier to deal with. My Smith Turbo Fan over glasses keeps the new glasses clear.
Wow! So my goggle fan only keeps my goggle lenses clear. Is the Smith Turbo Fan different from the fan one can install in any goggles? Mine is installed in the foam right above the lenses. It clears the lenses, but not my glasses.

Is this it? Seems to be a goggle for airsoft gun shooting.
E7BC2DFD-5114-42D5-9CB5-A081445829C7.png

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wow! So my goggle fan only keeps my goggle lenses clear. Is the Smith Turbo Fan different from the fan one can install in any goggles? Mine is installed in the foam right above the lenses. It clears the lenses, but not my glasses.

Is this it? Seems to be a goggle for airsoft gun shooting.
View attachment 151085
Smith dropped the turbo fan ski goggle a couple years back. It had a fairly high failure rate according to the inside rep I spoke to when looking for replacement parts for mine.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
IIRC, this is the one I have. Don't know if that's the lens it came with.

Yes. I had to fix the wires going from the battery to the power pack. I also bought a second pair on sale, and am much more careful with them.
1639354534029.png

The fan seems to be well designed into the frame. It has nothing to do with the foam. It works.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Too bad. I hope they try to work the bugs out of it instead of giving up completely.

i recall the OTG turbo version lasted a year longer than the I/ox version. There are still some floating around out there. The fan versions weren’t exactly the hot sellers, throw in warranty claim issue etc... (I did like my I/ox version).

Sponsor

Staff online