• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fluoro hoarders-you're not concerned about the health risks of fluoro wax?

dcoral

Putting on skis
Skier
I think part of it is that people don’t trust the government to tell us what is harmful or not, thanks to their “cry wolf” habits. In California there is a label on everything that virtually every household product causes cancer. People are trying to ban Roundup weed killer spray on dubious evidence. Meanwhile millions of women are using cosmetics and hair care products with dangerous ingredients with fake marketing claims and the rate of cancer is rising in young women for unknown reasons .. but there is zero regulation of these all natural “not tested in animals” ingredients. In other words government messaging on chemical safety is a joke, which is making it hard for the general public to understand whether flouro is truly unsafe or if it is just theoretical.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cue whataboutism
It's a valid response.

But to give the counter point, why even bother?
You mean besides that it performs noticably better than any of the alternatives, already exists, is less toxic than many other chemicals that all of us commonly use, and has toxicity risks that are easily managed?

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a valid response.

You mean besides that it performs noticably better than any of the alternatives, already exists, is less toxic than many other chemicals that all of us commonly use, and has toxicity risks that are easily managed?
Isn't it kind of like asking why would you want a set of golf clubs (or balls) that add 10-20 yards with more accuracy to every single one of your swings? ;-)

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
PFAS are nearly ubiquitous in the environment (surface and groundwater) now and are distributed by aerial deposition and in rainwater. These compounds were used in the manufacture of almost anything that was supposed to be slippery, nonstick, or waterproof ... and their manufacture began pre-clean water act, so they were often just dumped in the environment. They're present now in AFFF, pesticides, etc. They're in everything and don't biodegrade.
So how do pfas and acid rain interact?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
5-10% LF spread over upwards of 30-50 miles/30-40k of vertical of skiing per waxing, is it even measurable?
I agree 100%, and I also agree that it is amazingly inert, until sucked through a cigarette or something.

Regardless of the science, you will not do well selling it to XC skiers, who are a pretty knee-jerk orgo group.

I'd love to buy some. Should I inquire discretely on your website?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm doing fine without for alpine, because I'm older and no longer care if I'm the fastest on a catwalk.

But oh do I miss it for XC. A difference the easily passes the blindfold test. Not sure on time, but the feel of a properly-waxed fluoro xc ski is intoxicating.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree 100%, and I also agree that it is amazingly inert, until sucked through a cigarette or something.

Regardless of the science, you will not do well selling it to XC skiers, who are a pretty knee-jerk orgo group.

I'd love to buy some. Should I inquire discretely on your website?
Hey newfydog! It's been a minute.

I'm a little concerned of any fall out by listing LF, but here is the Briko-Maplus LP2 link. It is all at basically 'giveaway pricing'. The blue is a favorite and lasts a long time. Adding purple mid season is a better universal. And red for when into the low to mid twenties. Most never use orange, but it loves corn & transforming snow and seems to help on dirty snows. Then there's 'butter for your corn', yellow, on that 1/2" of corn on crust skates or spring fun. (Don't forget about proper structuring and durable base prepping.)

Most skiers do not realize that using better waxes not only improves glide, but smooths out turning and does even make skiing powder better.

I see a lot of posts on sprays, Universal Fluoros (softer), etc because people want it easy. Easy on = easy off and will put down way more material than hot wax solids.....not to mention what's in that spray? Talk about toxic shit. That's why I stopped dealing with liquids.

@newfydog, check out the x Soft base prep wax for hot boxing. People also blow off base prep waxes. I just mounted a pair of new skis and did my 'poor mans hot boxing' with the X Soft, followed by race base medium, then LP2. First run on new cold snow and the skis moved very well, only to get better with more waxings. (After 23 miles and 21,000 vertical the bases still look waxed.) Think like 'seasoning a good skillet'.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I'm a little concerned of any fall out by listing LF
Similarly I see Solda fluorinated waxes and some pure fluoros still for sale online in the US. Not full lines, but some. This worked well for back in the day for nordic skiing (got pro-deals so I might be biased...but it's good stuff).

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm doing fine without for alpine, because I'm older and no longer care if I'm the fastest on a catwalk.

But oh do I miss it for XC. A difference the easily passes the blindfold test. Not sure on time, but the feel of a properly-waxed fluoro xc ski is intoxicating.
There is nothing like a smooth glide. It's where the 'rubber meets the road' and what this sport is all about. It amazes me how people will buy all kinds of gear and not get it gliding at it's optimal performance. It's like not keeping air in crappy tires on a performance vehicle.

In my case, like trying to 'bang out a quick' nine in 1 1/2 to 2 hours in a work day, mostly I try to get to the ski area and do non-stops and get back to work or other activities/tasks vs 'making a day out of skiing'. 15-20,000 vertical in a couple/few hours is perfect. The wax facilitates this (as does timing relative to crowds). Same for XC, skate & BC. The wax also helps skins to be more efficient, keeps from clumping and increases glide on rolling tours.

Last edited:

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier
My name is Chenzo, and I'm a fluoroholic.
It is not advised to IR these waxes, but I live life on the edge.

Attachments

• 49FC76A6-00EC-488A-B896-6487173BFD44.jpeg
    49FC76A6-00EC-488A-B896-6487173BFD44.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 14

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
No matter how careful you are, you absolutely will end up inhaling some amount of wax dust while brushing and scraping. Is that really going to cause problems for you? I don't know. But there's a reason the official recommendations is to wear a respirator when dealing with fluoro waxes.
If Swix is anything to go by, there is an official recommendation to wear a respirator, wear overalls, and shower afterwards when dealing with any wax, fluoro or not. Basically, nanotech lab procedures. Personally, when it comes to brushing, scraping, or indeed crayoning, I'm more concerned about inhaling nano-level tungsten, graphite, moly, ceramics or whatever.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Chenzo

Putting on skis
Skier

I strongly agree.
C428D248-2881-4D4B-A467-E58494D2AAA5.jpeg
97526456-C2F6-4F5A-BB47-283FA91B9A74.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online