• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flowing through rec bumps "In the Zone"

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
The following GoPro Hero 8 Youtube HD 720p (1280x720 pixels) W (Wide) 60fps video, aqGH010858c.mp4, was created from a 60 second long video clip on Little Dipper at Heavenly on 2/22/2024. The 60 second long clip has been Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 repeated 3 times with a 5 second static image of bump form terms separating each clip for a total video length of 5+60+5+60+5+60+5= ~200 second (3:22 m:s) video. There are 58 turns within each 60 seconds or about one turn per second. The total vertical drop in these only moderate size moguls is a bit less than 250 feet or about ~4.5 feet per turn though the Wide lens mode makes it appear less so.

Because I GoPro helmet mount at the front edge of my helmet, it is very close to what my eyes are looking at that are always looking down some at the snow surface where I will next be turning. The camera lens direction points down enough to include parts of my ski shovels. Thus if one focuses primarily on the center of the video frame, that is where my eyes are looking at. At the beginning transition phase of each turn, that center frame location is thus where I will be turning towards next. Also key in the video for viewers since the POV camera only records frontal lens views, is my body form sun shadow that was near mid day.

On each turn, I am dominantly edging and weighting on either individual ski and not per pro mogul style mostly flat sliding both skis in parallel. That is one strategy in recreational bumps for skiing such direct fall lines at less speed, thus less forces. And am not just skiing troughs but rather from up on each mound spine then sliding down across bump faces into each following troughs then instead of following down a trough, aim up onto following mounds to repeat. As one can see, if bump forms are reasonably consistent as they are herein, a repeating turn body motion can develop with its ski acute attack angle to the direct fall line. Once locked into that motion, "In the Zone", the visceral experience flowing through a long field of moguls is IMO one of the best feelings in skiing.

The following file link to the 153 megabyte MP4 file will be active 7 days until March 5, 2024. Downloading the file directly to one's computer allows playing the video natively with say Windows Media Player at a higher HD quality level without any compression than through a web browser on the Internet including via Youtube.

Last edited:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
On each ____, I am dominantly _______ and ______ on either individual ____ and not per pro _______ style mostly flat sliding both _____ in parallel. That is one strategy in recreational ______ for such direct ________ at less speed, thus less forces. And am not just _______ troughs but rather from up on each mound _______ then sliding down across ______ faces into each following troughs then instead of following down a trough, aim up onto following mounds to repeat. As one can see, if ______ forms are reasonably consistent as they are herein, a repeating turn body motion can develop with its _____ acute attack angle to the direct ________. Once locked into that motion, "In the Zone", the visceral experience flowing through a long _________ is IMO one of the best feelings in ______.

You make skiing sound sexy! I may need to sit in a snow bank. Damn!
1709353328155.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Razie may need a lesson.

(This will be my last post EVER, maybe, not, kinda-sorta)

Last edited:
TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Mike, you need to fill the tub a bit more to fully cover your toes with soap suds.

Yes mr dave has another just skied interesting colorfully described POV bump video for you instruction folks amusement that shows a few early phases of bump formation after new snow fully buries previous mogul fields. More here:

Sponsor

Staff online