• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flipping up wipers during snowstorms - bad idea?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember years ago when I was selling Subarus, one of the features I touted was the bolts that held the wiper arm down was designed to loosen if there was too much stress on it. This would eleviate stress on the wiper motor. I know that was a Subie design, but I also assume others were this way. Whether those salesmen mentioned it in a walk around, I don't know. ;)

My Alltrack has a feature that when you turn the car off then turn the wiper on, it brings the wiper to the "up" position. I will leave the wipers here and not leave them flipper them up. I will flip them up if I need to clean snow away. I again assume most manufacturers have a feature simialr to this. You might want to check your owners manual.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I'm generally too lazy to flip up the wipers when an impending storm is forecast. There have been several times that I’ve woken to find the wipers literally frozen to the glass though and you have to gingerly lift them free.

I figure I’ve done more damage to my wipers from prying their frozen forms from the glass than I would have from flipping them up. Of course then I forget during the next storm.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am one that enjoys planning ahead and having random accessories. If you're going to the trouble of flipping wipers up, why not spend $20 and use a windshield cover.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The issue of flipping up wipers is important if you have wipers that tuck below hood line. Freezing rain and you wait til thawed if you don’t get them flipped up. VW Jetta is a good example.

On my F150 if flip them for easier cleaning and headache.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
My Alltrack has a feature that when you turn the car off then turn the wiper on, it brings the wiper to the "up" position. I will leave the wipers here and not leave them flipper them up. I will flip them up if I need to clean snow away. I again assume most manufacturers have a feature simialr to this. You might want to check your owners manual.

Only on VWs I think, not for the purpose you use it for but just to replace the wiper, because otherwise the hood blocks wiper arm from lifting up.

I've never flipped my wipers up, the only time it makes a difference is thick freezing rain, but then I got a lot more ice to worry about than wipers before I can drive away anyway. Oh also I keep a spray bottle of -40 wiper fluid in the car, to clean headlight/backup camera etc. so I have a quick way to melt small amount of ice if needed.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Oh also I keep a spray bottle of -40 wiper fluid in the car, to clean headlight/backup camera etc. so I have a quick way to melt small amount of ice if needed.
I like that - will try next year, my rental doesn't include a garage.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
If you have a spring under the wiper arm, it's going to stretch it, but that's what springs are designed for. If you have something else, like a torsion arm, I could see it getting 'used up'. Also, are you not putting torque on the hinge, which can be made of plastic? I like the conversation so far.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Speaking from experience. Flipping up the wipers will cause the springs to weaken. They sell clip-on spring clips at Canadian Tire to add down force to your wipers. Putting too much stress on the wipers (with the added spring clips) will cause the spindle to wear out (well it might wear out after a few hundred thousand miles anyway, but that accelerates the wear). Leaving your wipers on and having them try to start when your car is covered in freezing rain WILL cause the arm to break or the motor to burn out.

I don't flip mine up, but I have learned to clear them before turning on the car.

If you buy a new car and get rid of your old one every few years, this (weak wiper springs) won't bother you, but if you run your vehicles into the ground (keep for 10 years or more), it will be a problem.

WxGuy

You are what you ski.
Skier
I am one that enjoys planning ahead and having random accessories. If you're going to the trouble of flipping wipers up, why not spend $20 and use a windshield cover.

The Windshield covers I am familiar with tend to come off with high winds (45 kt), and then they are gone... with the wind. And no, I am not talking about highway slipstream wind.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Windshield covers I am familiar with tend to come off with high winds (45 kt), and then they are gone... with the wind. And no, I am not talking about highway slipstream wind.

The ones I posted, have a structural bar at both ends, and elastics that go over your sideviews (2 different loops; as well as an extra flap that you close your door over (for wind or theft). It's pretty tight against the windshield, and I don't see it flying off.
I think if you read reviews of this one, no one is complaining about them blowing off.
Most of the (very few) complaints are due to sizing...and potentially not picking the right size for their vehicle.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem with covers is where to put them after you take them off to drive somewhere (especially drive home) when they are covered in ice.
I've never used one, but wouldn't you be able to bang/shake it off to get most of the snow and ice off?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The problem with covers is where to put them after you take them off to drive somewhere (especially drive home) when they are covered in ice.

The ice/frost comes off very easily. Since it's a flexible fabric, the ice just cracks off. It is basically like a heavy showercurtain, with oneside seemingly like a smooth a little like release paper, so it sticks less to the glass, and the other side textured fabric like hardshell jacket fabric.

If the concern is the cover is iced over, the alternative was your windshield would've been iced over and you're spending at least 15minutes scraping or waiting for your heater to melt it.

If it's about the wetness:
They come with a carrying case you put it in; so you can use that.
But, where are you putting your wet snowbrush, and wet umbrella, wet jacket and other wet things when going out in a storm?

If you're skiing, you have wet skis anyway...so, typically what I do is I just roll it up and put it in/on my ski bag that holds other wet stuff while in the car.

A real super minor issue is if you do leave it rolled up wet for a week+, it will grow some mildew just like a shower curtain, so if you've done that you'll need to disinfect it/clean that off with household shower cleaner.

At one house I was at, for your concerns, they only used it while at home, and not away, so just in the driveway and they put it in the garage over the logpile when not in use; rather than take it with them on trips away from the house.

Anyway, just saying I am happy with mine and find it useful with few drawbacks; it saves time and hassle. Especially if it had snowed that means it's a powder day; and every minute counts to get first tracks.
Plus it was only $20 where I got mine, and even the most deluxe models are not that much more expensive.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online