• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fixing pronation with footbeds

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
I didn't want to derail the footbed thread so I'll post this separately: I've got a pair of Lange RX100's (from my first year skiing) that I got a fancy pair of 3d printed insoles from a guy in Snowmass last year. This came up because my feet flatten out and my knees come inwards. On these footbeds there are 2/2.5 degree wedges. My skiing improved (who knows how much because of my flatter skis and how much from the lessons and more time than ever on the snow) but at the expense of my insole getting crushed against the top of the boot.

This year in my Steamboat trip in January I want to go into the Ski and Bike Kare shop and get some fore/aft alignment done (never had any alignment done on these boots). I'm willing to get new boots if need be, and I'm getting the idea that fixing pronation with wedges inside the boot is frowned upon around here. Would I be best off ditching the ($350!) footbeds and having them fix my lateral alignment with the boot? Is that a more proper way to deal with my issue?

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Sounds like you are a severe pronator or have something else going on

You may need to have the steamboat fitter look at the whole package to figure out
exactly what is going on.

This may involve new footbeds or modifications to your current ones. I can’t tell exactly cause #theinternetcantfityourskiboots

TS
sky_chicken

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like you are a severe pronator or have something else going on

You may need to have the steamboat fitter look at the whole package to figure out
exactly what is going on.

This may involve new footbeds or modifications to your current ones. I can’t tell exactly cause #theinternetcantfityourskiboots
I agree, it seems like I’ve without knowing it gone down the wrong path of fixing the pronation with footbeds instead of with the boots

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seems like $350 is an awful lot of footbed to chuck when you'd likely need new footbeds in addition to any boot mods or cantology plates ($75 or so a pop). Yes, it is frowned on and likely significantly less valid (I got a few tsks when I got mine fixed four or so years ago) but when I changed over it was just getting rid of a few in boot shims which were free, not pissing away $350.

The explanation I got was that putting something in the boot may flatten the ski but does so by changing the orientation of the ankle (twisting it, essentially), whereas canting the boots actually changes the the leg and the relationship of the force vectors to the knee.

I think it depends on your budget, and whether making the change will force you to eat $0.10 ramen for a day or two years.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
I agree, it seems like I’ve without knowing it gone down the wrong path of fixing the pronation with footbeds instead of with the boots
You usually fix pronation with a footbed
But in doing so may have affected other things such as alignment and balance.
That's why it's important to fix it as a package with a reputable fitter as your guide.

@Ron knows all the reputable fitters in steamboat so it's best if you go off his recommendations

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
What he said. You are thinking that it is ok to start reading a book on page 422.... You would not typically pick one element of fit and alignment, focus on that element without taking a holistic approach to your set-up. And like near nyquist, I am allergic to online boot fitting, where the op gets to decide and describe their maladies, without any outside fact checking. When I was a kid, my parents used to make jokes about how wide my feet are. And what kid wouldn't believe their own parents? So, how do I explain that I have been skiing comfortably in 95mm forefoot boots my entire life? What should you do? Work with facts, and don't believe anything my parents have said about your "pronation" problem. Just like your fitter in Aspen, they obviously do not know what they are talking about...

Pick a shop, pick a fitter, and have that fitter take you on the guided tour that would include assessing your feet, your lower legs, your ankle joints, your arch flexibility, the footbed you want to use, the boot you own. Also continue to ski more and take lessons. The boot and footbed is not a device to push or mould you into the best position to drive your skis. The boot is there to be adapted to your morphology so that you can learn the balanced movements that deliver control and fluidity to your skis. Improving your strength and flexibility, improving your movement patterns, and spending hours making your technique bulletproof, could do more for your alignment than any of the silly pet tricks that are bandied about on these forums adnauseum...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So your skis are flat now, your foot is stable with the current footbed, and the major outstanding issue is your instep getting crushed (and associated bad stuff)?

If that is the case there are number of ways to accommodate the new instep height. And you can still work on fore/aft alignment from there.

Pardon if I misunderstood the current concern.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't want to derail the footbed thread so I'll post this separately: I've got a pair of Lange RX100's (from my first year skiing) that I got a fancy pair of 3d printed insoles from a guy in Snowmass last year. This came up because my feet flatten out and my knees come inwards. On these footbeds there are 2/2.5 degree wedges. My skiing improved (who knows how much because of my flatter skis and how much from the lessons and more time than ever on the snow) but at the expense of my insole getting crushed against the top of the boot.

This year in my Steamboat trip in January I want to go into the Ski and Bike Kare shop and get some fore/aft alignment done (never had any alignment done on these boots). I'm willing to get new boots if need be, and I'm getting the idea that fixing pronation with wedges inside the boot is frowned upon around here. Would I be best off ditching the ($350!) footbeds and having them fix my lateral alignment with the boot? Is that a more proper way to deal with my issue?

Let me know when you want to go and I will make a call and meet you at the shop. :thumb:

TS
sky_chicken

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m gonna respond to a couple posts here = I’m not trying to online boot fit, I’m trying to gather enough information that I’m not helpless in my next attempt to get this right. The person I had this done with in Snowmass was highly recommend and seemed knowledgeable, but I wasn’t yet sure what the issue was or what solutions were available. I don’t want to blindly fall into just buying another pair of footbeds or a new pair of boots I don’t need and going directions that aren’t valid, again.
So your skis are flat now, your foot is stable with the current footbed, and the major outstanding issue is your instep getting crushed (and associated bad stuff)?

If that is the case there are number of ways to accommodate the new instep height. And you can still work on fore/aft alignment from there.

Pardon if I misunderstood the current concern.
I’m not 100% on this, but I think my skis are flatter, but with my knees still collapsing to the inside.

Let me know when you want to go and I will make a call and meet you at the shop. :thumb:
Super! One of the problems of hitting different mountains all the time is that I don’t have a bootfitter I can return to, and all issues have to be fixed in one week. Before I go, I’m also going to PM you asking about instructors to have a lesson with... thanks!

Reactions: Ron

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I’m not 100% on this, but I think my skis are flatter, but with my knees still collapsing to the inside.

Gotcha.

A mantra of the 2-day Masterfit seminar I finished is "seek improvement, not perfection". I watched 20+ year boot fitting pros struggle to get numerous peoples skis flat and knees in perfect alignment. Anatomy can be a punk. Every time they chose flattening skis prior to aligning knees.

Go to Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare. Talk to a good fitter (they send many staff to regular training) suggested by @Ron -- and keep expectations reasonable. You should be comfortable and able to make good skiing movements. Everything else is gravy.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
The boot and footbed is not a device to push or mould you into the best position to drive your skis. The boot is there to be adapted to your morphology

It amazes me how few boot fitters get this. Regarding the question on whether wedges under a footbed are acceptable or frowned upon, either trust the fitter or understand the problem that s/he was trying to solve, the purpose of the tool that was used and the rationale for using that tool. Pronation is not a problem that needs to be solved just because it exists. You have to see and consider the entire system.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A mantra of the 2-day Masterfit seminar I finished is "seek improvement, not perfection" ... keep expectations reasonable. You should be comfortable and able to make good skiing movements. Everything else is gravy.

Well, you have this ostensibly sensible approach, which says take everything in small increments, with user testing after each one. Makes sense to the developer in me. And it totally seems appropriate for people on a budget getting their first real fitting.

Meanwhile you have lots of people here like Josh Matta, who says, approximately, with what I take to be only the standard amount of hyperbole, "I couldn't make a turn without canting under my boots."

My problem with jmeb's quote above is that being "able to make good skiing movements" has a near-infinite amount of latitude in it. It means one thing to Joe Customer, who skis one week a year with his kids, and something totally different to Josh. So much is about about knowing your audience. Overall I have not been satisfied with fitters' ability to know their audience. (Note that I am not at all picking on you personally here, @jmeb ; I'm just reflecting on my general disappointment with most of my boot fitting experiences as a customer.)

Seems to me that lots of folks on this forum ARE looking for perfection. Of course it's not really attainable, but it's certainly worth shooting for IMO. To this customer, the small increments approach is mildly insane in its inefficiency. <Tony momentarily channels 'Beyond' from Epic days> I'm sure it's great for throughput in a retail setting.</> I don't have enough spare time left in my winter / skiing career / life, at age 56, to be willing to spend months going back to the shop over and over, wasting precious on-snow hours each time, for things I know I'm going to want addressed, just because the shop believes in taking things one tiny step at a time, if at all. I'm a perfectionist, so I say, "Gimme all ya' got, and we'll START from there."

For instance: I don't know what world the rest of you live in, but in my experience only once have I ever had a fitter spontaneously propose canting, even after observing sub par static alignment with footbeds already in place, etc. "Meh, that stuff is really only for [insert category of fussbudget here] skiers" is what I generally hear. I have a hard time squaring this with the strong opinion of many instructors and others that accurate and precise alignment is a must-have for high-performance skiing. :huh: (I'm using canting only as an example of how the "less is more" approach to fitting falls short sometimes, so let's not get all hung up on canting specifically.)

I've seen enough boot posts over the years to have read between the lines that many Pugs have the same trouble I often do in getting fitters to take my perfectionism and basic knowledge of the process seriously. I don't have a coach's jacket and I don't work in the industry and ya know, well, I'm an English major. LOL. I often walk out feeling like I've received not much more than a patronizing pat on the head and a pair of Superfeet. Have you ever felt like this? Ladies? Older people? Speak up if you have!

In short, in an ideal world there would be an easy, direct, fast way to find out which fitters are willing to go for perfection, and an easy, direct, fast way to establish cred with them so you can get past the sizing-up-the-customer stage and move straight to the business at hand. It's true that developing a relationship with a fitter helps a lot, but ... boy is there a lot of turnover in that department. Just when you think you have something going, the person moves out of state, or the shop is bought by someone who doesn't care, or whatever. </rant>

On the up side, my most recent fitting experience checked all the boxes (except, naturally, price :eek:), without the need for any tiresome pushiness on my part. What a wonderful change and relief. Thank you, Lionel! Of course I can tell already, without having even been on snow, that I'm going to have to go back for another punch - sigh - but I'm very optimistic that my ski mechanics will be good right out of the gate. Here's hoping. Fingers crossed.

20181110_111724-02.jpeg

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I don't disagree at all @Tony S . Getting on the same page as your fitter is important. What 99% of the skiing population wants, may not be what an individual seeks out in a fitter.

However, I would add, not everyone can biomechanically achieve perfection in alignment and flatness. So it doesn't make sense for it to be the aim of every fitter or every skier. For example -- you're lucky enough to need quite mild canting. Others may need 2+ degrees to achieve neutrality. And they may not have space in their knee joint to accommodate that. So there will have to be compromises between what is ideal, and what doesn't hurt. Then you get into stiff hip joints, uneven leg lengths, and a whole realm of physical difficulties that -- while not "normal" are surprisingly common.

Interesting at the Masterfit seminar was a fitter who had worked extensively in Europe. They mentioned how little bootfitting -- in our sense of perfect fit, dialing alignment and flatness -- happens over there. Yet there are tons of high performance skiers. Though perhaps they would not pass an instructors opinion of such.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Huh - I've only ever been to two fitters... one to buy my boots, and one recently to get custom footbeds. They both asked about alignment and canting , which I have had done. Maybe it's something in the way I stand or the way my knees move or something.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Achieving "Flatness" in a static stance (I.e. at the ski shop) via sole canting can lead to undesirebale results on snow.

Bootfitters who sell a new boot and feel compelled to "correct" a customers stance without seeing them ski are doing their customers a disservice, IMO.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
without seeing them ski

This makes 110% sense in a vacuum. I'd be fascinated to know how many bootfitters are prepared to make arrangements to see their customers ski ... or even to watch detailed video, in the unlikely event that should be available. And of those, how many are good enough at movement analysis to profit from the experience?

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
This makes 110% sense in a vacuum. I'd be fascinated to know how many bootfitters are prepared to make arrangements to see their customers ski ... or even to watch detailed video, in the unlikely event that should be available. And of those, how many are good enough at movement analysis to profit from the experience?
Yes, there lies the deeply flawed disconnect between the warm controlled confines of the ski shop and the real world of the slopes.
That is reality, so we have to make it work for us.

I speak as someone who has had to undo canting done backwards on more than a few.
Assuming that the footbeds are done correctly, the fitter has chosen a right sized boot with appropriate flex, forward lean, and ramp, and properly set up the cuffs (neutral), IMO it's best to ski the boots at zero (no canting) before embarking on a potentially erroneous modification.

If, after skiing over a number of days in different conditions, one wants to do some tape strip canting testing, they will get a pretty quick sense for what is working or what is not. If there is any question, have someone follow behind with a video camera, and hire a coach, instructor, or qualified bootfitter to evaluate.

Canting is last, not first.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^

Good response.

Sponsor