• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
me 64, male 5’10 170lbs level 8 working on 7, I was once a fairly good bump skier that has transformed me into a older glade skier. I always had a strong first turn, 30 years later in tighter glade I end up traversing left or right and end up making a sharp turn that usually puts me a little off balance that I can correct and then get into a rhythm and it’s fine . I have lost the confidence in my fist turn, my thought is to practice side slipping down the fall line to where my second turn would be,And then start turning . I feel that I would be more balanced. Other than electro shock therapy any other suggestions????

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Not exactly what you're asking, but related. When I approach a steep trail I try not to stop at the top of it and then get going. I like to come right into it from the catwalk while moving. Not necessarily fast, but already turning, it makes my first turn on the pitch easier. I'd think this might also work in your situation.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
For me it's 60% use it or lose it and 40% age related when it comes to prowess, confidence, and overall feel related performance. Somewhere in our late 40s or early 50s our internal gyroscopes start to deteriorate, and do so exponentially. I no longer have anywhere near the confidence or control in the air that I used to. I've also lost some confidence on steeps, high exposure, and precision required situations. I think if I were still skiing a lot more often some of that ability would be retained, but skiing less than 20 days a season, more around ten past couple seasons, adding in the age factor, I don't think charging the terrain and sending it big as I did in my 20s is a reasonable or even sane expectation.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If your first turn felt like crap at MRG I wouldnt worry to much about it. That skiing was some of the toughest for me all year long.

I will say this I usually start on manky bump like that going straight down.....

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other than electro shock therapy any other suggestions????
Never discount the power of shock therapy!!

What @Steve said about coming into the pitch already turning is something we've been getting in lessons lately... You are already set up in a rhythm , all you do is keep going.

You may also want to try skiing with a flat ski for the first few turns until you find the tempo. When you disengage your edges, you can pivot , slip, control your speed a lot easier then with edges engaged. Do a few braquage drills to warm up in the morning

TS
Brad J

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never discount the power of shock therapy!!

What @Steve said about coming into the pitch already turning is something we've been getting in lessons lately... You are already set up in a rhythm , all you do is keep going.

You may also want to try skiing with a flat ski for the first few turns until you find the tempo. When you disengage your edges, you can pivot , slip, control your speed a lot easier then with edges engaged. Do a few braquage drills to warm up in the morning
Graham, as my skills are trending downward this has been a think that is been creeping into my skiing . I want to nip it now before it becomes permanent. I will be at Killington to meet up with a couple of friends of yours on Sunday, I would be glad to buy you a beer !!!

Sponsor