• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First time all mountain ski purchase (Northeast)

dafonin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everybody,

I wanted to get some advice/recommendations on purchasing my first set of all mountain skis. I've done some research myself and have concluded that I need skis north of 180 cms with a 80-95 mm waist. My parameters are listed below. Any help at all would be appreciated (specific models, where to buy, length/width recs based on location and experience, things to look out for, etc.).

My info:
27 yo Male
Height
: 6'7"
Weight
: 205 lbs
: Northeast (I live in NYC and will mostly be skiing in the NE. I foresee infrequent weekend trips to Vermont and more frequent day trips to Upstate NY and Pennsylvania)
Experience: Intermediate (I've been skiing on and off for about 10-12 years. Most I've skied per season is 4-5 times. Some years I haven't gone at all. I am comfortable on all blues and can gingerly make my way down a black diamond +/- a fall or two. I have no clue what to do around moguls and tend to avoid them. Never tried anything off-piste.)
Boots: Nordica One 6 (bought these ages ago)

So far I've been browsing Evo, Powder7, and Ebay and would prefer a skis + mountings package deal. The max I'm willing to spend is $600 but <$500 would be optimal. Some models that have stood out to me have been Nordica Enforcer, Blizzard Brahma, DPS Pagoda, Faction Prodigy, Salomon Stance, Salomon QST, Rossignol Experience, Rossignol Sky, and Rossignol Black Ops. Thanks in advance!

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
How long do you want to own the skis? i.e. One season or as you advance over time? How do you want to ski? fun playful, or do you want to get to big nice S's ("GS") or both? You mentioned not much interest on moguls. So that helps.

You're really tall so personally, would struggle with suggesting 180 for your height for a long-term ski, even though the longer you go it might be a bit harder to acclimate. So maybe that's still best for you at your level of skiing...the problem is you may grow quickly out of that length. I ski minimum 180 at 6'2 and wouldn't go under that ever again.

Add Ski Essentials to your shopping sites. Remember when buying the skis at max $600 to include about $30 to $50 to have your local shop confirm Din/Set up if you order online.

The skis you're looking at are all very different and would encourage demo days if you can. Where you're at, I might lean toward QSTs or maybe Enforcer for all mountain, but it's a tough call. You could grow into those skis, however you might want to go longer on the ski. I personally ski Black Ops 98 as one of my go to "Fun & Play" skis, and love them, but they're totally different ski than the QST (which I also have). The Brahma is amazing, but it helps if you return the favor to the ski. I don't know the Stance or Faction. I've demoed Experience and Sky and didn't favor them at the margin over the QST and again, they're very different than the 2019/20 Black ops. DPS at under $600 might be hard to do.

Long story short, if I never am able to reply again, I'd lean toward the QST or Enforcer and I would chance it by going closer to 190 range if you want the ski a long time, even though you're intermediate since you can grow into it.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the enforcer longer length of 2020 are not entirly wow, but supposedly the 2021 94/100 has improved

any video of your skiiing to get an idea of your level?

10-12 years, and intermediate sounds kinda weird, but a lot of time people are just too modest. I put a buddy on some "advanced to expert" level ski (deacon 84) and he just loves them, at your height, you ideally want some length, but your not very heavy, that again saves you a bit. He's actually carving turns, not just skidding.

unless you go for super aggresive race skis in 60/70mm range, I cant really think of any ski thats very punishing at all theese days, especially in 80/90/100 range.

skiessentials guys are awesome, they also have some tall people working there.

new mantra m6 191cm.. maybe? or even 184cm? your light enough for a QST as well I guess

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most I've skied per season is 4-5 times. Some years I haven't gone at all.
Boots: Nordica One 6 (bought these ages ago)
Unless you’re planning on skiing 10+ days a year, consider investing in new boots before skis. After getting your boots from a good bootfitter, rent/demo skis over the next year or two to find what you like.

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Unless you’re planning on skiing 10+ days a year, consider investing in new boots before skis. After getting your boots from a good bootfitter, rent/demo skis over the next year or two to find what you like.
#endorse

boots will improve your skiing more than skis.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
10-12 years, and intermediate sounds kinda weird, but a lot of time people are just too modest.

It it really weird given that he said "Most I've skied per season is 4-5 times. Some years I haven't gone at all." ?

In my experience it's pretty hard to make meaningful and lasting improvements when skiing that little.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
It it really weird given that he said "Most I've skied per season is 4-5 times. Some years I haven't gone at all." ?

In my experience it's pretty hard to make meaningful and lasting improvements when skiing that little.
Agree, and if there are no plans to start skiing more frequently there really isn't a need for a ski to grow into. Better to get skis that he feels comfortable with at current level.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree, and if there are no plans to start skiing more frequently there really isn't a need for a ski to grow into. Better to get skis that he feels comfortable with at current level.
good point. also, yes boot focus make a lot more sense.

Truberski

Getting off the lift
Skier
You have 35 pounds on me but K2 Mindbender 90Ti is the type of ski you may like for one ski east coast option. Pretty wide performance window, darn good on ice/hardback and something you can ride every day. i also agree that prioritizing boots is best for consistent foundation and the skis below them are less important until/if you get out more frequently.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Im gonna say buying skis, not having to deal with rental stuff ( I really really really hate that on trips ) will increase the skiiing frequency, I have some rental friends, and just giving them skis for free from my shed, has made them buy their own, and frequency goes up.

but, yeas good boots is a MUST , and honestly I dont feel a new boot is ok unless 10+ days on it.

Sponsor