• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finding the "Middle Ground" for the East

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
While I do not believe in a "Holy Grail" ski, I AM looking to find a really good "middle ground" ski for East conditions (mainly VT). I am 5'10", 165 lbs., so not a heavyweight. I would put my skiing style more on the finesse side than the power side, and I definitely do not just ski groomers. I have a 98-waist ski which I will use when the snow is decent, but need more of a daily driver for the East that is not just a groomer-zoomer. I am somewhere between 70/30 (on a day with not many options) and 50/50 skier on most days in terms of groomed versus ungroomed/glades/bumps. I am looking for something that can handle those varied conditions well, while still being able to handle Eastern hardpack/ice in a decent fashion. If the ski just wants to rail/carve turns and is hard to release, it's not my ski. If it needs to be overpowered and driven at 100% all the time, it is not my ski. Probably something in the upper-70's to mid-80's in width, prefer not to have a straight/flat tail, and prefer something balanced on the Finesse vs Power scale. In this width, I have demo'd a decent number of options over the last few years. The Wingman 86 Cti was a decent compromise, if not exciting. The Brahma 82 was close as well, although I would like something just a hair more on the finesse side than the Brahma. Would love to hear your suggestions.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Another vote for the Enforcer. I am in a different part of the country but ski the 88's things all over the charts, have really liked them. Solid, playful, bust crud pretty well, hold an edge, will do any turn you ask of it. Have it paired with a 100, has made a good mix. It has been my go to for teaching and clinics the past 4 seasons. Thinking about the 89 to replace them, they are starting to act a little tired, and haven't been on anything I like better for a daily driver.
These things are a Swiss Army Knife.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would suggest the Brahma 82 in the next shorter size than you normally ski. I have been enjoying the 180 cm when normally I go longer in a wider ski for deeper snow. For example I skied an M-Pro 90 today at 186 cm in 9" heavy snow at Killington, but the Brahma 82 would be fine at < 4". Other folks here like the Fischer RC One 82 GT, Experience 82 Ti, or one of the wider Head Supershape series (Titan?).

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Another great ski, but still not quite on the finesse side of the scale. Don't get me wrong ... the Kendo, Brahma 82, or even the Enforcer would work ... I just would love to find something a bit more on the finesse side and a little easier in the tight trees and bumps. Still hoping to stay in the upper 70's to mid 80's width range, rather than go up to 88.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
What about the volkl blaze 86.... It's got moderate volkl tendencies but isn't a hard charger and is on the lighter side. I like them and normally am not a fan of skis unless they are pretty damp and less light.

deadheadskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Another great ski, but still not quite on the finesse side of the scale. Don't get me wrong ... the Kendo, Brahma 82, or even the Enforcer would work ... I just would love to find something a bit more on the finesse side and a little easier in the tight trees and bumps. Still hoping to stay in the upper 70's to mid 80's width range, rather than go up to 88.

I hear you. As long as it's not heavy snow, I'm on my iRally's everywhere on the mountain in up to 3-4"

What about an eTitan?

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Titan is probably still further on the Power side of the Power/Finesse scale for my taste.

Blaze 86 and 82 I have to look into more ... honestly don't know enough about them.

Will probably research the Nordica Steadfast 85 as well ... another one I don't know enough about.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about Monterey AR or MX83 ?
Premium $$$ Yes, but Kastle’s usually on good sale this time of year, and Stocklis on a bit of discount too.

Was recently in Austria and finally brought a narrower ski than my usuals -> the last gen of the Laser AR in 175. They killed it over there in a variety of good and bad conditions.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Stop the thread and find yourself a Faction Dancer 1. Maybe the single most overlooked ski available if you want a 'freeride' ski that will let you determine turn shape but you want a sub- 90mm ski.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Monterey AR - definitely more $ than I want to spend.
MX83 - I did not enjoy that one as much in the bumps and trees.
Faction Dancer 1 - Will have to look into that - new to me.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stop the thread and find yourself a Faction Dancer 1. Maybe the single most overlooked ski available if you want a 'freeride' ski that will let you determine turn shape but you want a sub- 90mm ski.
Agree, another great option, my wife skis the older version Dictator 1X all over the mountain. I thought of it only after I posted.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Experience 86ti

Sponsor