• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Warehouse Club

Favorite Wholesale Club?

• BJ's Warehouse

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Costco

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Sam's Club

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is your favorite place to buy in bulk and why? What are some of the best deals you have found and what are some of the favorite things to buy. You can vote for more than one!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have memberships at both Costco and Sams. We do buy enough at Costco that our premium membership is refunded in end of year dividends. Costco (Kirkland) Scotch is a great buy. Gas at our local Costco's is also about 25 cents/gallon less than regular gas stations. We do like the meats at Sams better, the ribeyes seem to have better marbling and usually later in the day, we see them on sale being about $1.10 off a lb depending on dating. Sam's also has some awesome 3-4lb Cowboy Ribeyes that are like small bone in prime ribs.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco meat is fantastic. And excellent prices on cheese. Unfortunately, in Canada they don't stock liquor.....:(

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Costco.
The congsirre service is great perk; if they can't help you fix it they have the number to get you to the head of the call in line at the manufacturer's. The pepper jelly is a personal fav. The Kirkland golf balls are as good as anything I have hit for less than 1/2 the price. Their $10 version of irish cream makes Sunday morning nice too.

By the time I'm done putting lodging from work on the card the refunds come back 4 digit, which doesn't hurt a bit either.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We go to Costco.

Our favorite is the prime boneless rib eye steak in the bulk pack (single piece). About 12 lbs each. Runs around $10 per lb. Can't beat that deal. Split it with family whenever we get one. They also sell the same prime boneless rib eye in individual steak for $18 per pound. The prime strip in bulk is a good deal also.

Like Phil, we buy enough to get our membership fee back at the end of the year.
No gas or liquor in NY stores. :nono: Those are extra perks we enjoyed when we are on the road.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
From that list there is only Costco up here. Not sure about gas, at least not at my local store (1 hour away). Beer and wine in Quebec. With the changes in Ontario laws, maybe it'll get added to products. Hard liquor will be a no with our archaic laws here.

Freezer stuff, steaks for sure, toilet paper, paper towels, almond butter, cooking spray, pork back ribs and cleaning products. I really don't need a gallon of olive oil or 50 lbs of flour though.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Costco for me. Sam's ticked me off years ago but it may be time to forgive.:):beercheer: The only thing I got at Costco that wasn't worth the money paid was the extended lighters. They just never seem to work very long. Booze? Check. Meat? Check. Clothes? Check. Appliances? Check.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love Costco but we shop at BJ's as it's very convenient to where we live and I can stop there on my way home if we need anything. Even though it's just the 2 of us we buy quite a bit from BJ's. Mainly big packets of chicken breasts as I make chicken salad all the time. The usual TP and Paper towels, mouthwash, shampoo/conditioner, cereal, peanut butter, baked beans and jelly. Drug prices are amazing so we get our Allegra, Benedryl and Pepsid AC. Usually blueberries for Michael's yogurt as you can get a big plastic container for $6.99. There's a deli so we'll often get lunch meat I buy our halloween candy as you get huge bags for a great price. When Pacino was ill he used wee wee pads in lieu of litter box and they have 100 of them for under $15 and this even beats chewy. I buy my vodka and brandy as well because the prices are amazing $15-25 bucks for giant bottles that last a long while.

Some toiletries we get a target but I'd say we do a chunk of our shopping here with just ancillary items from trader joes and shop rite.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Another Costco household
Our biggest purchase is probably gas
Followed by booze, California ya know
Funny thing, Carson city Costco usually has the cheapest gas between the two states
Great for those mammoth trips

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Funny thing, Carson city Costco usually has the cheapest gas between the two states
Great for those mammoth trips
Yup, where Reno, the gas is currently $3.49 and our local Costco is $3.24, the Carson City Costco is $2.99. Washoe County has higher gas tax.

Another Costco must is the Roasted Chicken, for $4.99, we get at least 6 meals out of it, some great chicken salad and the carcus makes an awesome soup base for this...
5y6BfGAVT1uO%uPb8boM+Q.jpg

What I also like about our local Sams Club is that is it never busy, rarely do we have to wait in a line more than one deep where our Reno Costco, while it is efficient, getting out is a bear.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Costco photo the other day :)
upload_2018-11-1_15-2-3.png

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Italian wedding soup? Great, now I’m hungry!

We have a COSTCO membership. Like their steaks (and lamb too!) and the Kirkland EV olive oil is really good for the price. I always browse their clothes section too. Hit and miss but good stuff to be found occasionally.

Living in UT, if I ever saw booze in a COSTCO my head would explode.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The Alberta beef at Costco in Canada is the best even if it is not the cheapest.

What is the cheapest is the $1.50 hot dog and soft drink because in Canada it is $150CDN which is about $1.15US.:)

I also love all the quality products that Costco sells that no one else carries. Cheese selection and crackers come to mind as well as frozen entrees.

In Canada Costco pays their employees a decent wage (living wage? IDK) and as a result you always encounter happy employees and little employee turnover.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Nobody has gotten down to the real important substance of this discussion;

Who has the better Senior Citizens Buffet?

Costcos' samples rock.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Costco. Hands down.

The way they treat their employees is enough for me.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Costco. I've seen their booze in the Idaho stores, but haven't sampled anything yet. Utah has beer in the stores, but it's not a great selection and it's 3.2% EtOH. I get a pair of Head ski gloves there every year.

They are by far the cheapest gas in Maui, it's ridiculous how long the lines are. I bet they sell well over 50% of the gasoline on that island out of one station.

The clothing is nice, except they never have my size pants and rarely my size shirts. So unless I'm shopping for socks or shorts it's bittersweet.

I could do without the food samples. It just creates traffic jams.

Sponsor