• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite drives

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As we were driving up to Mt. Lemmon just north of Tucson in the Coronado National Forest, it occurred to me that I don't think we have a "favorite drives" thread. We visit my mother in Tucson a few times per year and we try to make it up the road at least one of those times.

As you climb out of Tucson you first go through a saguaro forest, then open brush with canyons and water. As the road climbs amazing rock formations appear around every curve, and there are plenty of curves. Numerous pullouts provide ample photo ops and people are quite good about pulling off to let faster traffic by. Vista points are well marked and there are restrooms at one of those stops. Several campgrounds, day use areas, and trails can be found on the road. You'll be sharing the road with bicycles; we saw several dozen along the way. The 26 mile road has a 5,400' vertical with a steady 4-5 percent grade. Good for those folks!

At the top of the drive is Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley. It's a fun place to ski if you get the chance, with about 200 acres of terrain, almost 800' vertical, and a top elevation of between 9,022 and 9,157 depending on who you believe. They run the lift all all year and, when there is no skiing, you can ride it up and see the view of Tucson far below. Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley is truly a throwback to simpler times, relying entirely on Mother Nature to bring the goods. The season can run between Christmas and Easter but is entirely up to natural snow. Two two seat fixed grips and a surface tow provide access to the trails. The biggest issue the area has is when the snow falls, the road usually gets closed; summer tires in Tucson don't make for great snow tires on what can be a pretty slippery drive!

If you you're hungry, I suggest dropping in across the road at the Iron Door restaurant. The food is consistently good and the prices are reasonable. Get your name in early if the parking lot is full as seats go fast and, as in so many places, staff is short.

The rugged beauty of the Santa Catalina Mountains is something to see and the The Mount Lemmon Scenic Byway, also called the Catalina or the Sky Islands Scenic Byway, delivers.
20230406_165511.jpg

Saguaro forest near the bottom of the drive

20230406_165943.jpg

It's interesting to see the growth right out of rocks

20230406_164226.jpg

A small stream opens into a pond before flowing further down the mountain

20230406_163940.jpg

I was somewhat surprised to see a frog well camouflaged in the water. Arizona seems more like a reptile destination!

20230406_163241.jpg

Ochotillo becomes more prevalent as the elevation leaves the saguaro behind.

20230406_161757.jpg

A glimpse of the road up high from down below.

20230406_160820.jpg

A bit further and the landscape turns to massive rock formations.

20230406_120448.jpg

The road passes quite near to some well-balanced rocks.

20230406_112657.jpg

A peak at the road below. Lots of twists and turns with Tucson in the background.

20230406_114157.jpg

The big view point has a lot of rocks that can be climbed around on.

20230406_114438.jpg

@AKMINK testing her knee and her nerves!

20230406_160358.jpg

Climbers were getting set to climb this hoodoo...

20230406_115708.jpg

...under the watchful eye of one of the locals.

20230406_124543.jpg

Sage advice can be located in the restroom at the Iron Door restaurant. The photo is from Mt. Lemmon.

20230406_131756.jpg

Brats, German potato salad, cabbage, apples, and cornbread (and a beer) at the Iron Door. Excellent! The BBQ chicken salad in the background was awfully good too.

20230406_135455.jpg

Not much snow now but I bet this old guy got a workout this season!

20230406_143909.jpg

Ann pointing the way.

20230406_134647.jpg

Old school

20230406_141147.jpg

One chair passes almost right over the other.

20230406_141608.jpg

The view down the east side of the mountain toward Oracle. The parking lot is where the restaurant is.

20230406_143015.jpg

There was a big burn on Mt. Lemmon in the summer of '20 or '21.

20230406_142312.jpg

Tucson from the top.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As we were driving up to Mt. Lemmon just north of Tucson in the Coronado National Forest, it occurred to me that I don't think we have a "favorite drives" thread. We visit my mother in Tucson a few times per year and we try to make it up the road at least one of those times.

Awesome post, thanks! As a cyclist, Mt. Lemmon has always been on my bucket list, but I haven't made it yet.

Tough climb, lots of corners, several ecosystems, etc.

Good friends just retired there, so there is hope!

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
Great photos. I live in Prescott and we mountain bike on Mt Lemmon. There is some rather challenging stuff up there.

Probably the most beautiful drive I've personally done is the Million Dollar Highway in Colorado which has the Last Dollar Rd spur into Telluride. With all the snow this year, I bet it will be spectacular all Summer.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Mt Lemon is spectacular drive. Did not get to ski it in our short sojourn to Tucson but always wanted to.

Here in the PNW a few favorites have moved high on the favorites list. In no particular order:
North Cascade Highway (closed in winter) from Sedro Wolley, WA to at least Twisp. Would love to do this one on a motorcycle great road and low traffic.

Bear Tooth Highway, Cody,WY to Red Lodge, MT. W

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
NH Route 4a from Enfield to NH Route 11 and NH Route 4 from Canaan to Danbury. Both two lane state roads that go through not much of anything at all but moose and bear country. NH 118 from Warren to North Woodstock is nice too.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt Lemon is spectacular drive. Did not get to ski it in our short sojourn to Tucson but always wanted to.

Here in the PNW a few favorites have moved high on the favorites list. In no particular order:
North Cascade Highway (closed in winter) from Sedro Wolley, WA to at least Twisp. Would love to do this one on a motorcycle great road and low traffic.

Bear Tooth Highway, Cody,WY to Red Lodge, MT. W
I've done the NCH pulling a travel trailer. I'd rather do it in a car!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for sharing Andy! so many drives, so little time :)

Coming from VA i've had many beautiful drives on Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Done Kancamagus Hwy in NH a couple times. Any drive along ME/NH coast is awesome.

In recent years I've enjoyed many fun western drives, so different, mountainous, and arid for those of us raised in the greenery of eastern US.

I posted this report on four drives i took in 2021: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/four-scenic-drives-in-utah-colorado-and-new-mexico-may-2021.23665/ This post also contains photos from a drive from SLC to Mammoth Mtn across a desolate central NV.

Here's a 2020 report on a drive from SLC to Mirror Lake in UT, via Guardsman Pass between Brighton and Deer Valley ski areas: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/road-trip-to-mirror-lake-ut-4-july-2020.20151/

I'm still sort of starry-eyed about Utah in general and just driving along Wasatch BLVD near the Cottonwood Canyons on a clear day is quite beautiful.
1680895108317.png

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Bear Tooth Highway, Cody,WY to Red Lodge, MT. Wow just wow. Closed in winter and amazing elevation changes. Can't think of a good reason for this road to exist but it is amazing.

Going to the Sun through Glacier Park (whay else can be said on this one).
I've done the NCH pulling a travel trailer. I'd rather do it in a car!
All 3 of these are best done in on a cycle or 4 wheels. Going to the Sun won't let you pull a trailer or drive a motorhome across.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Deals Gap, alog with many of the other roads in western NC.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to the Sun through Glacier Park (whay else can be said on this one).

All 3 of these are best done in on a cycle or 4 wheels. Going to the Sun won't let you pull a trailer or drive a motorhome across.
We've done the Going to the Sun road several times too. 18' max and I forget the width. A dually pickup is fairly snug!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oregon Coast, Sea to Sky, Icefield Parkway are all among my favorites.

Another in this region which is just as spectacular is Spokane to the coast. First head through the Grand Canyon (Soap Lake to Dry Falls ) next up is Saskatchewan and Monument Valley (Mansfield and the Columbia Plateau ) decend to a bit of desert outside of Chelan then head to the Alps on the North Cascades. Wind up in the coastal rainforest.

Those more adventurous can carry on to the medditeranean with a short ferry ride

Hwy 36 Red Bluff to coast is also a wild ride.
Best in a fun toy.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Applecross Peninsula and Torridon in Scotland.

Chamonix to Martigny

Lots of Euro passes like the Stelvio

Million dollar highway from Bryce Canyon up to Fruita and Goblin Valley/ Green River.

Very nice short drive is Minden to Kirkwood through Hope Valley and Carson pass/ lake.

Durango to Ouray pretty nice.

Highway 3 in Canuckistan

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As much as I love 101 in my home state of Oregon, 101 from sf north to ft Bragg in California is awesome. Way up on the bluffs above the pacific, it’s spectacular. Also from Susanville over to Shasta is pretty good. Cranbrook to banff really pretty. Locally, the Columbia River gorge still does it for me.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online