• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Factory Tune References

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen skitalk posts that reference a few external sources (evo.com) for factory tunes of the major skis. However, I just went over there and it seems dated (all of the head skis are i generation, for example.)

Wondering if there is some sort of master list that we can compile and sticky in the tuning forum? Ok, so that may be a BIG ask, but seems like it could be a collective effort? Or maybe posted on the reviews when known?

Now for the self serving part...anybody know what my 2024 eRally factory tune is? Best I could find was a range for both base and bevel. I'm guessing the actual tune is model specific?

Thanks, and happy to delete this if it's a bad idea.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does it really matter what the factory tune is?

Well yeah, I mean it can save you a base grind. But I don’t believe what they say on paper, always check.
Sometimes they don’t lie-my FIS SL ski both came at exact 0.5/3. Stockli is a mixed bag and Volkl lied blatantly :roflmao:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Manufacturers will often ship skis aimed squarely at the meat of the bell curve of their targeted demographic.
Take the example of a recent 78 mm carver from a premium brand. 1.4° base bevel. :nono: The large base bevel is supposed to introduce "versatility" to the ski. That's just simple bulls**t marketing speak for not wanting their targeted buyers to trip all over their skis.

The question is "Are you their fresh kill meat du jour".

Then there is what is delivered. That specific model was supposed to have a 1.4/2 tune from the factory. Reality - fresh from the wrapper, one pair has structure on the base bevel. All the side edges on both pairs were so inconsistent. They would make a serrated bread knife proud. I am not talking about the side edge angle being off. I am talking about high and low spots every 2 to 6 inches. :nono:

Many would say trust but verify. For me, the trust is long gone under the bridge and out to sea. My take is "Verify and correct. Where necessary."

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Get the tune YOU like. Choose edge angles that work best for your snow conditions and your ski technique. There is no magic, no good reason for tuning to match what the factory mass production tuner claims they put on your skis. (I like 0.7° base and 3° sides, except my powder skis get 1° & 2°...the less acute the angle the smaller the divot out of the edge when a rock is hit.)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Get the tune YOU like. Choose edge angles that work best for your snow conditions and your ski technique. There is no magic, no good reason for tuning to match what the factory mass production tuner claims they put on your skis.
I think the reason many obsess about it is they demoed a pair and want the same tune. More than likely the entity providing the demo (ski shop, brand rep, whatever) has tuned them to whatever their favorite tune is, and it's not what actually is received by the customer unless the customer buys that pair of skis on the spot.

Know what you like. Put that on the skis after trying them out and deciding you don't like how they are.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My used skis came with a 1-2. No way am I having them ground before I hit at least 10 rocks.
But. i guess op knows to ask here and between shop people and our collective searches the answer will surface. There are a few lists out there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the reason many obsess about it is they demoed a pair and want the same tune.
You would be surprised how little attention most demo skis get.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
My used skis came with a 1-2. No way am I having them ground before I hit at least 10 rocks.
You can create the side edge angle you like without a bottom grind. I've got 2° and 3° side edge angle guides in my ski kit. There's probably a 1° dusty in the bottom of the kit. And you can increase the bottom edge angle without a grind, but the need for that is unlikely.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've seen skitalk posts that reference a few external sources (evo.com) for factory tunes of the major skis. However, I just went over there and it seems dated (all of the head skis are i generation, for example.)

Wondering if there is some sort of master list that we can compile and sticky in the tuning forum? Ok, so that may be a BIG ask, but seems like it could be a collective effort? Or maybe posted on the reviews when known?

Now for the self serving part...anybody know what my 2024 eRally factory tune is? Best I could find was a range for both base and bevel. I'm guessing the actual tune is model specific?

Do you tune your own skis or take them to a shop? I take a hybrid approach. I have 1, 2, and 3° side edge guides and a high-quality 1° base guide. I use these to maintain the tune rather than try to reset edges on my own, which I leave to my shop along with base grinds. I asked them the tune they will put on any particular pair of skis and they responded typically the factory tune unless the customer requests something specific. My only current skis with a 1°/3° tune are Hero Elite LT because apparently that was their factory tune, and while less common, some of my older skis that I've gotten rid of also had that tune. The shop manager (a former mogul coach) advised I stay with the 1/2° on my all-mtn skis (Dynastar Legend x88 and M-Pro 90) since I said I was working on improving my bump and ungroomed skiing.

TS
MarkG

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same as you, actually. I'll maintain/polish existing edges and update (if desired) when I take them in for the bases. But it's those new ski purchases that always leave me scratching my head. At the moment I have .5/3; 1/2 and 1/3 tunes across the board. Don't have a .5 base of beast yet, but those are pretty new to me and are still good for now.

Best I find for the heads are ranges. .8-1.2/1.5-2. Really don't know what to do with that. :D I suppose I could drop them off and just have them set to 1/2 so as to keep them polished until grind #1.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Same as you, actually. I'll maintain/polish existing edges and update (if desired) when I take them in for the bases. But it's those new ski purchases that always leave me scratching my head. At the moment I have .5/3; 1/2 and 1/3 tunes across the board. Don't have a .5 base of beast yet, but those are pretty new to me and are still good for now.

*grin* by the time they are not good, they won't be at .5 anymore. Base bevels are a moving target.

Best I find for the heads are ranges. .8-1.2/1.5-2. Really don't know what to do with that. :D

Measure. In @KingGrump language, 'verify'. Then verify again, at different points on the ski.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Head publish the factory tune in their manuals. At least they did for their race skis. But just email them, they usually reply to mails pretty soon.

Last edited:

MikeHunt

Getting on the lift
Skier

Find out for yourself with a Baseman.

Sponsor

Staff online