• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Factory tune on 2018 Nordica Enforcer 93

Friolator

Booting up
Skier
So all last year my Enforcer 93s sat next to my desk at work, where they were delivered before the season started. I never got the bindings mounted on them and then the season was over. I took care of that this fall and have had 4 days on the skis so far. I absolutely love them.

One thing I've noticed about the factory tune on these skis is that they seem to be different for left and right. I know some shops will tag the skis L/R when installing bindings, but I've always tuned my skis myself so they're the same on both edges. That would mean there's no L/R distinction on the edge sharpness or angle.

However, the skis are like night and day depending on which foot they're on. If I have the one with the Nordica logo (near the tip) on my right foot, I can ski through anything with ease. On the left, and I'm slipping and sliding all over the place.

These are being used exclusively in the Northeast. I was at Loon yesterday and the conditions were near-perfect after over a foot and a half of fresh snow last week and several super cold days. All groomers, practically no ice. But on the steeps, with the "N" ski on the left, I was totally sloppy. On a hunch I switched feet, went down the same trail, and had no issues with control the rest of the day.

So - is this a sloppy factory tune, or are these tuned so the inside edge of the downhill ski is different than the outside?

I have to say, skiing with them the second half of my morning was totally effortless and I'd love to know what they are so when I have them tuned I can request that they be done the same way.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets just say "inconsistant" comes to mind.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
F

Friolator

Booting up
Skier
Thanks. Whatever they are now, I want them like that going forward. might have been the great conditions, but they skied like a dream yesterday. I doubt it was me, since I was skiing with a cold!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't have the facts, The Piste Office says 1,2 https://thepisteoffice.com/index.ph...-manufacturers-edge-angle-specifications.html

I believe @Atomicman had some new Enforcers he said where 1/3.

I just did some new Enforcers 100 and based on feel of tuning, they where closer to 1,3.

If you didn't tune them straight from the factory, they could be anything. When I did my pair the bases where great, but each had one side of ski a little different on edge.
My new Enforcer 100's had a 1/3 on them for sure, no doubt about it! I have an SVST Bevelmeter. They were tuned perfectly from the factory....skied great.

No reason not to use a 3 degree side edge and particularly , even more so in the East. I believe the source quoted above is incorrect. Sounds like they need a grind and a fresh 1/3 put on them!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My new this year 93-s came in really nice and with a 3/1. My Enforcer 100-s from three years ago weren't as perfect and needed an immediate grind.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So all last year my Enforcer 93s sat next to my desk at work, where they were delivered before the season started. I never got the bindings mounted on them and then the season was over. I took care of that this fall and have had 4 days on the skis so far. I absolutely love them.

One thing I've noticed about the factory tune on these skis is that they seem to be different for left and right. I know some shops will tag the skis L/R when installing bindings, but I've always tuned my skis myself so they're the same on both edges. That would mean there's no L/R distinction on the edge sharpness or angle.

However, the skis are like night and day depending on which foot they're on. If I have the one with the Nordica logo (near the tip) on my right foot, I can ski through anything with ease. On the left, and I'm slipping and sliding all over the place.

These are being used exclusively in the Northeast. I was at Loon yesterday and the conditions were near-perfect after over a foot and a half of fresh snow last week and several super cold days. All groomers, practically no ice. But on the steeps, with the "N" ski on the left, I was totally sloppy. On a hunch I switched feet, went down the same trail, and had no issues with control the rest of the day.

So - is this a sloppy factory tune, or are these tuned so the inside edge of the downhill ski is different than the outside?

I have to say, skiing with them the second half of my morning was totally effortless and I'd love to know what they are so when I have them tuned I can request that they be done the same way.

Most skis need a "Benchmark" tune right off the wrapper. Its about $50 at most places.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My E100s had a 1/2, which was actually scrawled on the shrink wrap (and verified with my wife's dental loupes, no less!) so take all this with a grain of salt.

No reason to change a soft snow ski from 1/2, especially in the soggy PNW.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My new Enforcer 100's had a 1/3 on them for sure, no doubt about it! I have an SVST Bevelmeter. They were tuned perfectly from the factory....skied great.

No reason not to use a 3 degree side edge and particularly , even more so in the East. I believe the source quoted above is incorrect. Sounds like they need a grind and a fresh 1/3 put on them!

I think Im gonna tune all my skis to 1/3 next time I take them to the shop. Never a bad thing to have more edge grip.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
My E100s had a 1/2, which was actually scrawled on the shrink wrap (and verified with my wife's dental loupes, no less!) so take all this with a grain of salt.

No reason to change a soft snow ski from 1/2, especially in the soggy PNW.
I would beg to differ on 3 counts!

1. It is not a soft snow ski, it is an all mountain ski
2. I actually measured the bevels ......NO question, my pair , which is I bought this season are last season's ski, were 1/3
3. There is a reason in the PNW to have a 3 degree side edge....refer to #1

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would beg to differ on 3 counts!

1. It is not a soft snow ski, it is an all mountain ski
2. I actually measured the bevels ......NO question, my pair , which is I bought this season are last season's ski, were 1/3
3. There is a reason in the PNW to have a 3 degree side edge....refer to #1

As previously, we'll just agree to disagree on pretty much all of that. Just wanted the OP to know there are lots of opinions on edge bevel.

1. Perhaps because for me, this is assuredly a soft snow ski. Or at least soft-ish.

2. And mine were also measured. NO question, my pair came bang on at 1/2.

3. There is a reason in the PNW to have a 2 degree side edge...refer to my #1. Note that I definitely DO love me some 1/3 on my GT84s.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like a 1/2 on most of my all mountain skis, but the new Santa Ana 88 I received had a "raw" tune on it out of the box. She has a Smoothrides tune on her now :D

James

Out There
Instructor
Just do a 1 and 2. Then you can change it to 3. Then decide what you like.
Thanks. Whatever they are now, I want them like that going forward. might have been the great conditions, but they skied like a dream yesterday. I doubt it was me, since I was skiing with a cold!
You mean when you had them on the proper foot?

Sponsor

Staff online