• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Equipt wear out - helmets

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps my subversive way to keep Helmet treads alive :golfclap: but ... I know Ski's, Boots, Bindings wear out and having last spring a nice WP store cashier recommend I replace my old helmet as they had 30% off, and noting they get old and less effective, decided to pick up one for me and youngest.

So like biking helmets that dry out, shrink, etc I noted a sale this last Sunday and picked up an inexpensive Giro w/MIPs if only for glancing blows. Part of my trigger pull was my old one was nearing 10 yrs old, so pretty sure it was down on it's life even though stored in pretty tame conditions.

Other folks replace these on regular basis? Anyhow, too a bit of a note to those using helmets but perhaps not thinking about their age. (helmets age that is!)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, hockey, motorcycle, bicycle..5 year is the "rule". I don't worry about the hockey helmet so much..or bicycle really..but was religious on the motorcycle helmet. Especially as you can't get on the track if it's over 5 years old. Ski..mine is 5 years old now..probably won't replace it..but will think about it.. :huh:

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
They say 5 years, I know that my Snell-rated helmet for autocross and time trialing had a specific standard date on it and helmets for racing cars are not something I would cheap-out on. I've heard it claimed that ski helmets are ineffective above 15 MPH (injuries at higher-speeds are more likely blunt force trauma), but I don't see any downside to wearing a helmet while skiing (see profile pic)...

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Read a fairly recent report that broke down fatalities per million in different sports. Skiing came out extremely low on the list of fatally dangerous sports. I think backpacking came out as more dangerous.

The point of this. I do wear a helmet because I promised my wife I would. I will wear a helmet because I promised her. I will not replace my helmet if there is no visible damage to mine. Besides, I like the stickers on mine.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm in the something is better than nothing category when it comes to helmets. If it is comfortable and has no visual flaws I just keep using them. Yes, they recommend replacing every 5 years and after every substantial impact. However, I also don't replace the air bags in my cars unless they deploy, and I use stock seat belts instead of 5 point harnesses. I didn't wear one competing in the early 80s, few did. But, if I were spending 100 days a year on the snow hitting high risk and high exposure terrain I'd invest more in protection.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Read a fairly recent report that broke down fatalities per million in different sports. Skiing came out extremely low on the list of fatally dangerous sports. I think backpacking came out as more dangerous.

The point of this. I do wear a helmet because I promised my wife I would. I will wear a helmet because I promised her. I will not replace my helmet if there is no visible damage to mine. Besides, I like the stickers on mine.

And this is a very sensible approach I think. People should understand relative risk. The nearest I got to death was nearly getting clipped at an intersection walking across the road on a green light. Does that mean I should be wearing a helmet while walking? I've never felt close to being hurt while mountain biking. Why wear a helmet? They're ridiculously hot. Motorcycles, yeah, I get it. Hockey, haven't hit my head in years. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but how likely? Mostly just sticks and pucks which won't kill you. Skiing..yeah, I can see that for myself. I'm much more likely to wear one skiing, but that's me. Relative risk.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
We replace ours every 5 years. Small price to pay for the piece of mind. I've smacked my head more than a few times and know the helmet surely saved me from significant injury. (hot laps on a race course and some miss rotated "landings" in the park or ackward airs off some natural jumps)

EPS helmets are replaced after any significant blow.....oddly more often occurring on course or in the park where the track or features are very firm.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I tend to want a different color for my helmet long before it hits 5 years.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I tend to want a different color for my helmet long before it hits 5 years.
spraypaint%20group.jpg

If you do paint, get the auto paint that's recommended for trim. Some cheap paints can actually weaken the plastic, rare, but possible.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
spraypaint%20group.jpg

If you do paint, get the auto paint that's recommended for trim. Some cheap paints can actually weaken the plastic, rare, but possible.

Okay, fine, you are forcing me to tell the truth. I just want new *stuff* before 5 years. Color is a handy excuse.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Two years unless it starts to smell bad then sooner. Tons of dents due to my love of tight trees. Leading with head thru tight spots is the trick to finding great powder stashes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If you want a better excuse, you could do the Sweat in Styrofoam Cups At Body Temps Overnight experiment. As a first attempt, use blue Gatorade.

I don't want to know, do I?

chemist

Falling off the lift.
Skier
My issue is that I am very sensitive to comfort, and my current helmet (no longer made) fits the shape of my head just perfectly. Every year I try on new helmets, in the hope that one will fit as well, and every year they don't, so I put off replacing it for yet one more season. One shop owner said it's unfortunate they stopped making that model, because it had a different shape from everything else on the market, and thus accommodated people for whom the other brands' helmets didn't quite work. Yes, you can adjust the fit of helmets by playing with the foam, but that's like using fit adjustments to a liner to make up for a sub-optimal fit on a boot shell. Much better to have a helmet shape that fits you from the start. Of course, I haven't tried on every helmet on the market. Maybe I'll need to do that as a project starting next season.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My issue is that I am very sensitive to comfort, and my current helmet (no longer made) fits the shape of my head just perfectly. Every year I try on new helmets, in the hope that one will fit as well, and every year they don't, so I put off replacing it for yet one more season. One shop owner said it's unfortunate they stopped making that model, because it had a different shape from everything else on the market, and thus accommodated people for whom the other brands' helmets didn't quite work. Yes, you can adjust the fit of helmets by playing with the foam, but that's like using fit adjustments to a liner to make up for a sub-optimal fit on a boot shell. Much better to have a helmet shape that fits you from the start..

I do this. It's funny how few shop owners are understanding when you tell them that none of the helmets they have on offer fit properly.

TS
pete

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My issue is that I am very sensitive to comfort, and my current helmet (no longer made) fits the shape of my head just perfectly. Every year I try on new helmets, in the hope that one will fit as well, and every year they don't, so I put off replacing it for yet one more season. One shop owner said it's unfortunate they stopped making that model, because it had a different shape from everything else on the market, and thus accommodated people for whom the other brands' helmets didn't quite work. Yes, you can adjust the fit of helmets by playing with the foam, but that's like using fit adjustments to a liner to make up for a sub-optimal fit on a boot shell. Much better to have a helmet shape that fits you from the start. Of course, I haven't tried on every helmet on the market. Maybe I'll need to do that as a project starting next season.

side masters program for a boot fitter .... or thermal/heat moldable liner, ah ... 160F and pop your noggin right in.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I only wear a helmet because Mrs. Claystone gave me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Otherwise I wouldn't be using one. If nothing bad happens to it, it will be the only helmet I will ever own.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

My husband has this issue. He bought a new helmet, but still uses the old one because it is more comfortable. I'm pretty sure the old one predates our marriage ... so like 13 years? Yikes!

Sponsor

Staff online